[comp.sys.amiga] Stamp out Zeroes!

iphwk%MTSUNIX1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Bill Kinnersley) (08/05/88)

[In "Re: ConUnit of current console device", Carolyn Scheppner CATS said:]

>   Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS  Commodore Amiga Technical Support
>   PHONE 215-431-9180   UUCP  ...{uunet,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
>
>  Pad with zeros for a light, airy program.

Forgive me, Carolyn, for taking a light, airy jest and turning it into
a stern warning from the Surgeon General:

If you expect the program you write to have any significant distribution
at all in binary form, be sure that it DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY ZEROES!!!
I'm not worried about conserving disk space, that's a trivial matter.

Zeroes are an open invitation to virus writers!  That, after all, is what
happened to the boot block.

We haven't seen the last of them by any means--viruses are going to be
a permanent part of the computer scene.  And if there ever was a system
vulnerable to penetration (sad to say) it is the Amiga.  (No need to go
into details.)

Viruses can be written to hitch a ride on any executable, not just the
boot block.  And with a nice block of zeroes waiting,

char buf[1000];

the patch is easier to write and harder to detect, since the file remains
the same size as the original.

Allocate your buffers dynamically, gentlemen, and save us all some grief!

--

Bill Kinnersley
  Physics Department            BITNET: iphwk@mtsunix1

mkr@kestrel.Philips.Com (Michael K. Reed) (08/09/88)

In article <3613@louie.udel.EDU> iphwk%MTSUNIX1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Bill Kinnersley) writes:

>If you expect the program you write to have any significant distribution
>at all in binary form, be sure that it DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY ZEROES!!!
>

>Bill Kinnersley

	Hmmmmm...No zeros in your binary??   Very interesting.  I've also heard about
	data compaction algs that will compress all data to 1 bit!!!! 8)

						Michael

  | Michael Reed                     !allegra----                  |
  | mkr@philabs.philips.com                      \                 |
  | AI Department                    !steinmetz--->---!philabs!mkr |
  | Philips Laboratories                         /                 |
  | (914) 945-6069                   !rutgers----                  |