[comp.sys.amiga] Software queries and comments

phil@rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (08/06/88)

Greetings!

I just recently got a little bit of extra money and I am looking into
purchasing some more software for miAmiga (still haven't found a good name
for her).  So here are some random "production software" questions.  I
would greatly appreciate anyone answering them (via mail is sufficient).

I remember someone mentioning recently an Amiga version of the old DECUS
empire game.  I know that EA has a game called "empire", but I'm pretty
sure that this was different.  Could someone refresh my memory?  Big
question:  does it still let me do other things (or does it take ove the
whole machine)?  And what about the EA version of empire?  Is it any good?
Since EA puts it out it probably requires me to reboot to run it (taking
over the whole machine).  Am I right?

I have not yet purchased any sort of paint program.  Is DeluxePaint really
worth getting?  It probably takes over the machine, right?  Am I right in
my belief that Digi-Paint is more for editing/modifying pictures than it
is for creating one from scratch?

With 3 meg in my 2000, I give myself 100 disk buffers for the builtin
cache.  With that setup, and the imminent release of the fast file system
for the floppies (doesn't that sound like an oxymron), is FACC still worth
buying?

Finally, a few comments about programs that take over the whole machine:
Electronic Arts is well-known for this atrocity.  I looked at Deluxe Music
Construction Set at one point.  I was really interested in purchasing it.
It didn't have everything I wanted, but it would have been sufficient.
Then I tried to pull the screen down.  No dice.  If it won't let me get
back to my Workbench, then I don't want it.  I feel the same way about my
games---especially games that don't require a timed reaction (such as
empire and solitare Shanghai).  I don't want them.  I do things in
parallel, and I would primarily get such a game to keep me occupied while
some other process churs away in the background (such as a TeX job or a
download).  Games like that won't let me.  What a waste.  But (sigh) I did
have to make two exceptions:  Marble Madness! and Earl Weaver Baseball.

Why do commercial developers do that?  It's throwing away one of the most
useful things about the machine:  the user's ability to do many things at
once.  My never-ending thanks to the people who wrote "Amoeba Invaders".
Ya' did it right!!!

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

thad@cup.portal.com (08/07/88)

SHANGHAI multi-tasks very well on the Amiga.  I keep it around to while
away the hours during file transfers, long compiles, etc.

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (08/09/88)

In article <1748@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>Greetings!

>Finally, a few comments about programs that take over the whole machine:
>Electronic Arts is well-known for this atrocity.  I looked at Deluxe Music
>Construction Set at one point.  I was really interested in purchasing it.
>It didn't have everything I wanted, but it would have been sufficient.
>Then I tried to pull the screen down.  No dice.  If it won't let me get
>back to my Workbench, then I don't want it.  I feel the same way about my

This is not a fair statement. Deluxe Music multitasks just fine (to the
extent of how many cycles are left over in the machine when it's running).
The artifact of the WorkBench disspaearing is not that they take over the
machine, but rather that they do a CloseWorkBench(), which is an Intuition
supported call.

Now, it would have been nice if they would have put in a menu toggle to turn
it back on (I believe they did this in DPaint II), but there is a (I believe
documented) way around this. Simply run something else on the WorkBench
screen beforehand (like the clock) and the CloseWorkBench() will fail.

>Why do commercial developers do that?  It's throwing away one of the most
>useful things about the machine:  the user's ability to do many things at

Simple - they do a CloseWorkBench() to try and free up as much memory as
possible for their application. The logic here is that the user should be
forced to do some extra action if he doesn't want to have the WorkBench closed
to make the maximum possible amount of memory available to his/her application.
One thing that some developers may want to think about doing is to do an
AvailMem() first and only do a CloseWorkBench() if they really think there
isn't enough memory around. And, always put in a menu toggle to turn the
WorkBench on and off if your application is that intensive.

>once.  My never-ending thanks to the people who wrote "Amoeba Invaders".
>Ya' did it right!!!
>
>			William LeFebvre
>			Department of Computer Science
>			Rice University
>			<phil@Rice.edu>

Yea - haven't those guys (Late Night Developments) done something new?
Maybe somthing commercial???

Eric

ARPA:	eric@topaz.rutgers.edu or eric@ulysses.att.com
UUCP:	{wherever!}ulysses!eric or {wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

"To err is human; To really f*ck up requires the root password."

koster@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Herbert West) (08/09/88)

(The gist of the article was why do people write programs that take over
the machine)

Simple: You get more power out of the Amiga that way.

There is a definite overhead in writing a nice program that fits into the
multi-tasking environment. Things are slower.

If you want to do fast animation, double-buffered, you MUST take over the
display with LoadView(). This means no pulling down of screens, etc.

What annoys me is a program that REALLY takes over the whole machine,
like Arkanoid, Wizball, Marble Madness, etc,etc,etc. and you have to reboot
to exit. There is no excuse for that. It is one thing to hog the machine's
resources for a while and another to take them permanently.