[comp.sys.amiga] amiga on a government budget

In article <355@uwslh.UUCP> lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Fish-Guts) writes:

>     In my opinion, I think that Commodore's next computer should be
>based on a hypercube architecture; have the speed of a Cray (yet it
>shouldn't require plasma for coolant); have 23 gigabytes of available
>ram (that can be expanded to 256 terabytes); have removable-media
>drives with 1 million terabytes of read/write storage; have a
>multi-tasking OS with all of the power of UNIX, VMS, OS/[360,2],
>MULTICS, [and any other obscure OS you can think of], and with
>embedded "AI techniques" to do processing on the command-line and
>figure out what you *really* wanted to type as well as have a complete
>expert system in it to diagnose problems that you make; have sound
>chips that surpass current high-end Kurzweils and FairLights as well
>as speech recognition, all in octaphonic sound; and have graphics with
>better pixel resolution than 70mm motion-picture film using 32
>bit-planes (4294967295 colors) out of a palette of 1 google possible
>colors, all being displayed on a 1-meter diagonal, 32768 x 32768 pixel
>color monitor.  Oh yeah, and the basic system should be all of the
>above (with only one drive, to cut down costs) and be available for
>under $200.  I sincerely think that if CBM can get this out in under a
>year, that you will probably blow the Macintosh and IBM markets to
>kingdom come!

And two serial ports for Peter da Silva.

--
                           AI is a shell game.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

mwjones@lion.waterloo.edu (Morgan Jones) (08/05/88)

In article <5144@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <355@uwslh.UUCP> lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Fish-Guts) writes:
>>
>>     In my opinion, I think that Commodore's next computer should be
>>based on a hypercube architecture; have the speed of a Cray (yet it

>And two serial ports for Peter da Silva.

And FIX and DO keys on the keyboard.  I've been looking for a keyboard with
these two keys working, but I've been having the darndest time.

So what do you think?  A DO key in 1.4?

--
Morgan Jones					mwjones@lily.waterloo.edu

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (08/09/88)

In article <8128@watdragon.waterloo.edu> mwjones@lion.waterloo.edu (Morgan Jones) writes:
>And FIX and DO keys on the keyboard.  I've been looking for a keyboard with
>these two keys working, but I've been having the darndest time.
>
>So what do you think?  A DO key in 1.4?

A DO key is certainly possible.  The more useful "Do What I Want" key
would be a different matter.
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"If we can't fix it, it ain't broke."