[comp.sys.amiga] The Feds have noticed us!

ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) (08/06/88)

[I've redirected followups to comp.sys.amiga...]

LOOK OUT!  WE'VE BEEN SPOTTED!

[Excerpted without permission...]

	FEDERAL COMPUTER WEEK, Vol 2, August 1st 1988, No. 31
	Page 25, "Amiga Arrives?".

	    When thieves recently broke into the office of the Strategic
	Defense Initiative Oragnization - the group handling SDI
	research - they stole a computer reportedly used to simulate
	missle attack and defense scenarios.
	    The computer, with a 32-bit Motorola 68030 chip as its
	CPU, had a sophisticated multitasking operating system that
	could run 20 simultaneous tasks......
	    ....It was a Commodore Amiga, a microcomputer still widely
	perceived as a game machine for the pleasure of 12-year-olds.
	    Missle defense, however, is serious business, and SDI
	researchers, like many others in federal agencies and
	contractors, have found the Amiga to be a powerful and much
	underapreciated computer.  The Amiga has found increasing
	acceptance in federal agencies that require its sophisticated
	multitasking, graphics and animation capabilities in
	applications from scientific research to desktop publishing
	and video production, from computer-aided design and
	engineering to inventory control in high-security
	installations.
	.  .  .

The article tells how many of a number of different kinds of software are
available for the Amiga. (It's quite impressive.) It also states that some
Amiga users describe Commodore's top managment attitude to be "brain dead".
But that the technical staff (You listening CATS? :-) ) have been devoted to
making it a success.  The article describes the 2000 and 500, with a comparison
of the merits of each model.  Talks about the OS and how 1.3 will allow
autoboot from a hard drive.  All in all, it seems to be a well written and
definitely up-beat review of the Amiga.  Hurrahh!  We've been NOTICED!

					Enjoy!
--
...!hadron\   "Who?... Me?... WHAT opinions?!?" | Edwin Wiles
  ...!sundc\   Schedule: (n.) An ever changing	| NetExpress Comm., Inc.

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (J. Dow) (08/06/88)

In article <940@netxcom.UUCP> ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) writes:
>[I've redirected followups to comp.sys.amiga...]
>
>LOOK OUT!  WE'VE BEEN SPOTTED!
>
>[Excerpted without permission...]
>
>	FEDERAL COMPUTER WEEK, Vol 2, August 1st 1988, No. 31
>	Page 25, "Amiga Arrives?".
>
>	    When thieves recently broke into the office of the Strategic
>	Defense Initiative Oragnization - the group handling SDI
>	research - they stole a computer reportedly used to simulate
>	missle attack and defense scenarios.

And Gary Bonham of Sparta is the person who has been generating much of that
SDI scenario. He is the fellow behind some of the Aegis animation software.

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and					quit playing with dragons and knights.

billd@crash.cts.com (Bill D'Camp) (08/07/88)

[]

It's nice that there is some publicity for government use of
the Amiga, back in April I remember seeing a notice from NASA
Ames asking for quotes on A2000 systems, in CBD as I recall.
I'm glad there are other places in the government that are
recognizing the capabilities of our machine.

--
    _   /|		    Fundamentally Oral Bill
    \`o_O'		    UUCP: {akqua,hplabs!hp-sdd,sdcsvax,nosc}crash!billd

	     Bill's Boards --- peripherals for the Amiga

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (08/07/88)

[]

The feds had noticed us out here about a year and a half ago. In
one of the buildings I work in, the Army is developing one of the
most sophisticated helicopter simulators in this and parallel
dimensions. The purpose of the simulator is to develop the
man-machine interfaces for the next generation of 'copter cockpits.
Specifically, they're first trying to answer the question "can we make
cockpit displays so as not to overload a single pilot with information,
or will we need two pilots". The cockpit uses such things as helmet
mounted displays, voice recognition devices, touch-screens, etc.
This represents a serious attempt at creating the fabled "glass cockpit",
eliminating many of the discrete hardware displays of the past, and
designing a whole new set for things such as real-time battle management,
scrolling video-maps of the flight area, and video procedure checklists.
The computer displays are driven by a number of pricey Silicon Graphics IRIS
graphics computers. But, due to the unusual nature of the new displays,
any pilots involved in the studies need a whole lotta training ahead of
time. Since the simulator costs in the thousands of $$ per hour to run
it would get very expensive if used merely as a training tool. Consequently,
some bright souls stumbled upon the Amiga as a low-cost solution to this
problem. They've currenly outfitted a pilot training room with 6
Amiga 2000s, loaded with all sorts of CSA turbo goodies, fat hardisks
,touchscreens, and helicopter joy sticks.

One Amiga will display a simple helicopter out-the-window scene, while
2 others show different cockpit displays. This counts for 2 training
stations.

All in all, not bad for a "game machine", eh?

--
			   *** mike (starship janitor) smithwick ***
"Due to the Writer's Guild of Amierica strike, this signature is

darin@taurus.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) (08/09/88)

In article <940@netxcom.UUCP>, ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) writes:
> available for the Amiga. (It's quite impressive.) It also states that some
> Amiga users describe Commodore's top managment attitude to be "brain dead".
> But that the technical staff (You listening CATS? :-) ) have been devoted to
> making it a success.

Kinda sounds like the opposite of some 'unnamed' competitors...  You know,
the ones without much going for them software-wise, but plenty of
marketing expertise.

Darin Johnson (...pyramid.arpa!leadsv!laic!darin)
              (...ucbvax!sun!sunncal!leadsv!laic!darin)
	"All aboard the DOOMED express!"