[comp.sys.amiga] OS/9 versus AmigaDOS

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (08/01/88)

Let's put it this way: AmigaOS is the first multitasking operating system
shipped with a mass-market computer. This means that most of the software for
the Amiga is well behaved. Fewer and fewer major companies are shipping
programs that don't respect AmigaOS. OS/9 is available from Tandy for the
CoCo, but most of the CoCo software in your neighborhood Radio Shack doesn't
run under it... and there isn't any other mass-market computer running OS/9.
The Tandy 6000 and the Atari ST have OS/9 available, but not from the
manufacturer and it's not 6809 OS/9.

AmigaOS is also the first realtime operating system shipped with a mass-market
computer. It's the first concurrent windowing system shipped with a mass-
market computer. And so on...

OS/9 is probably a much better balanced system, but you can't play Bards Tale
while online to your local UNIX system and compiling the latest *.sources.amiga
program or ray tracing an F-16 buzzing a unicycle... because there's almost
no mass-market software for it.
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (08/03/88)

Sam,

>The Amiga operating system is in ROM.  You could argue that that is *RUN*
>everytime you turn the machine on, but I think you would be just trying
>to be argumentative about something that is a fact!

MY AMIGA OS in NOT in ROM!! Remember the 1000!!

So MY OS gets stuck in RAM. Does that mean I RUN my OS but
you don't since yours is in ROM (500/2000)?

I don't think so. When you get right down to it a ROM is
just a section of memory that "does not forget"!!

Dave S.

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (08/05/88)

In article <2030097@hpcilzb.HP.COM> daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave
Scroggins) writes:

>Sam,
>
>>The Amiga operating system is in ROM.  You could argue that that is *RUN*
>>everytime you turn the machine on, but I think you would be just trying
>>to be argumentative about something that is a fact!
>
>MY AMIGA OS in NOT in ROM!! Remember the 1000!!
>
>So MY OS gets stuck in RAM. Does that mean I RUN my OS but
>you don't since yours is in ROM (500/2000)?
>
>I don't think so. When you get right down to it a ROM is
>just a section of memory that "does not forget"!!
>
>Dave S.

From my point of view (I own a 1000 and a 2000) the 1000's
Kickstart is in ROM and I don't get upset when people refer to the OS
being in ROM, because after my Amiga has been running for about 30
seconds, the kickstart looks, feels, and smells like it is in ROM.
How's that for a run-on sentence?  (Of course... I also smile because
I know that my upgrades are cheaper because I don't have to pay for
new ROMs. :-) ...well, for one of my machines)

Tom
--
Tom Limoncelli

Currently using crutches and in great pain, but still available at:
limonce@pilot.njin.net		"Remember all the great times we had?"
tlimonce@drew.bitnet		"Yeah... was that *you*?"
tlimonce%drew@cunyvm.cuny.edu
"The opinions expressed above are mine... just mine."
(Hey Eric!  Remember when I was so proud to finally be on a net and your
reply was, "Bitnet?  Ok... tell me when you get on a real net"?  Well,
look at the new signature!  A real net!  Right on the internet!  See! See!
It's also reachable via limonce@njin.rutgers.edu.  Ok Eric?  )

>>>The Amiga operating system is in ROM.  You could argue that that is *RUN*
>>>everytime you turn the machine on, but I think you would be just trying
>>>to be argumentative about something that is a fact!
>>
>>MY AMIGA OS in NOT in ROM!! Remember the 1000!!

	No, only the core of the OS is in ROM (A500/A2000) or WCS (A1000).
The FFS isn't going to be in ROM till 1.4 .  The new printer drivers, ram disk,
etc... is not in ROM.  My StarDrive.device is not in ROM.  A whole s*itload of
stuff is not in ROM, but in disk libraries and devices.  All the ROM devices
and libraries have RAM hooks (i.e. the library base's, various system lists,
etc...).

	And this stuff is rather easily unhooked, eh?

						-Matt

In article <2380@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>... ray tracing an F-16 buzzing a unicycle...

	Now *there's* an idea!

	Naw.  Allen did it first with helicopters bombing the Ata... er,
Arati headquarters and flattening Red with his Lotus.

	Allen's latest animation, "Rush Hour", is very cool.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac