[comp.sys.amiga] Virus eradication

sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (08/08/88)

In article <3613@louie.udel.EDU> iphwk%MTSUNIX1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>We haven't seen the last of them by any means--viruses are going to be
>a permanent part of the computer scene.

A permanent part of the no-MMU computer scene.  When purchasers get frightened
enough of viruses they'll buy more machines with MMUs and operating systems
which support them.
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon  sewilco@DataPg.MN.ORG    {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!datapg!sewilco
Data Progress 	 UNIX masts & rigging  +1 612-825-2607    uunet!datapg!sewilco

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (08/08/88)

In article <1377@datapg.MN.ORG> sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E. Wilcoxon) writes:
>A permanent part of the no-MMU computer scene.  When purchasers get frightened
>enough of viruses they'll buy more machines with MMUs and operating systems
>which support them.
Hmm, i think if you think about that long enough, you'll realize that
it helps, but it will not eradicate viruses. I refer you to Ken Thompson's
ACM talk of a few years back for one view of that subject; also
try to get an account of what happened to Gould when they offered
a color tv to anyone who could break their 'b2' system.
Hint: they had to give away a color tv.
   MMUs help; you can't eradicate viruses with them, i think.

Unrelated note: I see somebody figures that a MAC ][ with A/UX is
multitasking. That's true. One question, though: when you are running
A/UX, which window do you run HyperCard in? (and that is a serious
question, if you really can run hypercard along with A/UX and they
can share data you have a real winner on your hands)
   (If you can't, though, well ... no comment)

ron

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (08/10/88)

In Message <600@super.ORG>, rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) writes:

>In article <1377@datapg.MN.ORG> sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E. Wilcoxon) writes:
>>A permanent part of the no-MMU computer scene.  When purchasers get frightened
>>enough of viruses they'll buy more machines with MMUs and operating systems
>>which support them.
>Hmm, i think if you think about that long enough, you'll realize that
>it helps, but it will not eradicate viruses. I refer you to Ken Thompson's
>ACM talk of a few years back for one view of that subject; also
>try to get an account of what happened to Gould when they offered
>a color tv to anyone who could break their 'b2' system.
>Hint: they had to give away a color tv.
>   MMUs help; you can't eradicate viruses with them, i think.

  Boy I couldn't agree more. The #1 important thing to remember here is that
  programmers (IE: people) design the software & hardware to catch/stop a
  virus -= AND =- hackers (IE: programmers) design the viruses (sp?) and trojan
  horses. So like Unix's protection - theres always a hole somewhere to be
  filled by either the programmer or hacker :-)

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein   {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
 Sneakers Computing

 Of course heimat is an Amiga, doesn't everyone run UUCP & UseNet on an Amiga?