[comp.sys.amiga] showANIM/killer demo help

baron@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Baron Fujimoto) (08/09/88)

I'm trying to view some of the entries to the badge killer demo contest
using showANIM v4.00.  (Ripples, Car, and Killer I think...) I originally
tried on an amiga 1000 with a measly (by today's standards) 512K memory.
when I tried showANIM, I get the message 'not enough memory for bitmaps'.
I was afraid something like that might happen, so I then tried it on a
friend's a1000 with 1Meg expansion memory.  still 'not enough memory for
bitmaps.'   what I'd like to know is, do these animations truly require
mongo memory in excess of 1 meg, or is there something else we are over-
looking?

--
INTERNET:	baron@uuccux.uucc.hawaii.edu     |
BITNET:		baron@uhccux.bitnet              |  "Make beans into peas!"

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (08/10/88)

In article <2213@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> baron@uhccux.UUCP (Baron Fujimoto) writes:
>I'm trying to view some of the entries to the badge killer demo contest
>using showANIM v4.00.
>INTERNET:	baron@uuccux.uucc.hawaii.edu     |

The problem could be that version of ShowANIM, I think the current one is
4.3 or 4.4.  Your version might be reading the wrong structure for the
bitmap size, and trying to allocate 2Megs of ChipMem (or something like
that).  Remember, to flip ANIM files, you need 3 bitmaps but only one of
those in ChipMem.

We just released a new version of our Display program (Public Domain) that
plays ANIM files.  It lets you freeze frame, single step, and change the
playback speed during playback.  You may find it on your local BBS's, or
on PeopleLink.  It's a little easier to use than ShowANIM, actually a lot
easier.  Hope this helps.

--
	-Ken Baer.
   //   Hash Enterprises: When the Going gets Wierd, the Wierd go Professional

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (08/10/88)

In article <2213@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> baron@uhccux.UUCP (Baron Fujimoto) writes:
>I'm trying to view some of the entries to the badge killer demo contest
>using showANIM v4.00.  (Ripples, Car, and Killer I think...) I originally
>tried on an amiga 1000 with a measly (by today's standards) 512K memory.
>when I tried showANIM, I get the message 'not enough memory for bitmaps'.

	Did you get your demos from uxe.cso.uiuc.edu?  Some of them
(at least "Ripples") are damaged, and trying to ShowAnim them produces
this message.
	Do a "zoo l" on Ripples.zoo, and you will see that the file
"Ripples" should be over 600K.  When you extract it (zoo x), the file
is only ~300K.  I have reported the "Ripples" problem to the moderator
there.
--
Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP
		barrett@cs.jhu.edu