[comp.sys.amiga] A2000 LEDs and Mouse & Keyboard Chords

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (08/09/88)

I am in the "getting used to" phase of my new 2000, and have a couple
questions/comments to address to CBM:

The black and white heat-shrink tubing really doesn't look very good on the
mouse and keyboard chords.  Does CBM intend to replace these items when some
more suitable fix with the ferrite beads comes out?

The LED light colors are reversed.  All floppy/hard drive busy lights I have
seen are RED and power lights GREEN.  This is true on my Sony monitor, my old
1080 monitor, and my Supra hard drive.  Will it void the 2000 warranty if I
swap these LEDs on the 2000 bezel?  Would you consider standardizing this?

The 1 section I was initially interested in reading up on in the 2000
Introduction To The Amiga manual was "Adding a Hard Disk Drive" on p. 8-6.
Imagine how disappointed I felt when I discovered that the Appendix G mention
didn't exist!

The battery backed clock is loosing time.  How critical an adjustment and
where is the trimmer capacitor?

Thanks for your comments/answers.

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com
* Sometimes The Dragon Wins! * Still looking for the best Amiga BBS
software to resurrect Bilbo's Hideaway on - but not holding breath!

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (08/11/88)

In Message <5390@gryphon.CTS.COM>, bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) writes:

>I am in the "getting used to" phase of my new 2000, and have a couple
>questions/comments to address to CBM:

  Well im not 'CBM' but I do have a couple of answers.

>The black and white heat-shrink tubing really doesn't look very good on the
>mouse and keyboard chords.  Does CBM intend to replace these items when some
>more suitable fix with the ferrite beads comes out?

  We use NEC and other popular MS-DOS machines where I work and they all employ
  the ferrite bead as well. One big difference is that they are supplied as a
  1 piece hinged part that YOU are to install. These have 2 advantages over the
  heat shrinked CBM model's

  #1> They look much nicer and more professional
  #2> If you feel like living in the edge you can just throw them in a drawer :-)

  One bad thing about the ones that CBM uses, they do not stand up to a hammer
  very well. I accidently hit mine with a hammer and it broke into a millon
  (ok maybe it was only 10,000) pieces. Of course I had to cut the heat shrink
  off to see all those little peices. Boy was I upset too!

>The LED light colors are reversed.  All floppy/hard drive busy lights I have
>seen are RED and power lights GREEN.  This is true on my Sony monitor, my old
>1080 monitor, and my Supra hard drive.  Will it void the 2000 warranty if I
>swap these LEDs on the 2000 bezel?  Would you consider standardizing this?

  Huh?!? The 1000 had (has?) a RED power light - The SideCar had a RED power
  light. The 500 has a RED power light. The 1020 (5.25" drive) has a RED power
  light. The 1080 has a RED power light. The 1070 had a RED power light. The
  1084 has a RED power light. Need I go on? The A3000 will have.....

  As for flipping them to make them personally acceptable go ahead but be aware

  #1> Im sure it will void your warranty (if anyone notices)
  #2> The HD led has longer leads than the power led

>The 1 section I was initially interested in reading up on in the 2000
>Introduction To The Amiga manual was "Adding a Hard Disk Drive" on p. 8-6.
>Imagine how disappointed I felt when I discovered that the Appendix G mention
>didn't exist!

  You know I never noticed that section G was even listed before. (Guess I never
  looked :-) Well you can always glue your 2090 manual in as section G :-)

>The battery backed clock is loosing time.  How critical an adjustment and
>where is the trimmer capacitor?

  How critical is it that your times right? Well the adjustments about as
  critical. On the motherboard in the front (looking from the drive side)
  there is a small adjustment pot (usually blue on top) located just to the
  left of the bracket holding all the drives & power supply. Give it a tweak
  and see what happens.... Thats how I set mine and if todays not 9/22/78 then
  its still losing time :-)

>Thanks for your comments/answers.

  Your welcome (im not sure CBM welcomes my answering this - Hi GRR buddy! :-)

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein     {alegra|amiga|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
 Sneakers Computing

 Of course heimat is an Amiga, doesn't everyone run UUCP & UseNet on an Amiga?