[comp.sys.amiga] egad source available again from louie.udel.edu

rminnich@metropolis.super.org (Ronald G Minnich) (08/10/88)

Egad is the gadget editor that never worked and was not ever
used a lot to my knowledge. I have a cobbled version that would compile
under lattice 3.0?. The coding style was incompatible with my brain
so i abandoned it. Anyway if you want to see it, such as it was
last november, it is at louie.udel.edu, in the pub directory,
in compressed tar format.
   The final straw was that from some reason it would not get
left-mouse-button events. Strange. I was also fighting 3.0? problems;
i finally gave up and bought power windows (which i have hardly used,
but that's another story).
   If egad worked it would be a pretty good tool.
ron

ltf@killer.UUCP (08/11/88)

In article <611@super.ORG> rminnich@metropolis.super.org (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>Egad is the gadget editor that never worked and was not ever
>used a lot to my knowledge. I have a cobbled version that would compile
>under lattice 3.0?. The coding style was incompatible with my brain
>so i abandoned it.
>   If egad worked it would be a pretty good tool.

I beleive the problem with EGad was that it was never really finished.  If I
recall correctly, it was a project instituted by Captain Crunch on the Well,
and was a group project by a bunch of programmer's that hung out on the Well.
Unfortunately, in the final phase of programming, the Captain ran into a few,
um, well, legal problems (if memory serves) and I don't think the project was
ever carried to completion.  The version out now is pretty much a beta version,
and the final debugging was never completed.  At least, I think that's the
way things went, according to my sometimes vague memorys.

Lance

--
+-------------------------+ +-----------------------------------------------+
| Lance T Franklin        | | I never said that! It must be some kind of a  |

rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) (08/11/88)

In article <5164@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> ltf@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Lance Franklin) writes:
>I beleive the problem with EGad was that it was never really finished.  If I
It had other problems too. Like, they rolled their own linked lists instead
of using the very nice Amiga-style linked lists. Overall, the program
does not have the feel of a good fit to the amiga. Maybe they did not
have a good manual set ...
   I heard Crunch's machine got confiscated, for no good reason, and he
came back to life on a MAC. Rumor had it that he build a much better
version of egad on the MAC. But who needs anything like egad when
you have HyperCard? the work is all done for you...
ron
--
ron (rminnich@udel.edu)