[comp.sys.amiga] Siggraph88 and a deal

childs@cadnetix.COM (David Childs) (08/11/88)

Hi,

I went to SigGraph in Atlanta and I have a little news and a trade
offer.  For Amiga people C= was showing the new high res 1000+ by 800+ mono
monitors.  They were extremely nice.  Dale Luck showed X running on a
2000, said it would run on any Amiga with 1Meg of RAM.  NeWS was also running
on a 500.  Ameristar was showing NeWS.  I wanted to buy one or both, but
no-one would take my money. (Monitors and X or NeWS)

Apple had a animation called Pencil Test.  It was very good.  It was basically
a cartoon, done entirely on a MAC II.  (so they said)

I won a copy of Pixel Paint for the MAC II at one of the demonstrations.  It
is a demo copy only and cannot be resold.  If anyone is interested in making
a swap for this with some Amiga software, please let me know.  Pixel Paint
costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $400-$500.  At least that's what the
people who gave it to me said.  I might consider a swap of my Amiga for a
MAC II insted.

I'll respond in greater deatail if there is any interest.  Probably just
to one or the other group though.

David
   David Childs               Internet: childs@cadnetix.COM
   Cadnetix Corp              UUCP: cadnetix!childs
   5775 Flatiron Pkwy               {uunet,boulder,nbires}!cadnetix!childs
   Boulder, CO 80301

sarrel@dulcimer.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) (08/12/88)

In article <3551@cadnetix.COM> childs@cadnetix.COM (David Childs) writes:
>Apple had a animation called Pencil Test.  It was very good.  It was basically
>a cartoon, done entirely on a MAC II.  (so they said)

What do you mean "so they said"?  I was at SIGGRAPH as well.  I also
thought "Pencil Test" was very good.  Is Apple going to _lie_ about
something like that?  I went to the animation screening Tuesday night
and just about everyone cheered when the graphic came up that said
that "Pencil Test" had been done on a Mac II.  Also, I'm not sure what
you mean by saying that it was a cartoon.  It was a computer
animation, just like all the other computer animations there.

Actually, I heard that the software they used to make it was a version
of Twixt ported to the Mac II.  For those who don't know, Twixt was
done here at Ohio State as a PhD dissertation by a guy named Julian
Gomez.  It is a fancy keyframe system.  Instead of just allowing you
to keyframe whole frames at one time, it allows you to put splines
through key points on tracks.  A track would be something like the x
or y coordinate of a object over time.  Tracks also are used for such
things a scale, rotation, color, and (if you don't mind getting fancy)
shape.

I would say that "Pencil Test" was certainly better than IBM's sole
entry into the animation show.  All they did was a fly-through of a
3-d Julia Set.  They didn't put any fancy colors on it.  They didn't
do any dramatic changes of scale.  Just a simple, silent (it didn't
have _any_ sound track at all) fly-through.  I think the response that
the audience gave it was the very definition of a smattering of
applause.  I guess that the only reason it got into the show in the
first place was that the theme of this year's SIGGRAPH was scientific
visualization.
-=-
 Marc Sarrel, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave., Columbus, OH USA 43210-1277
 sarrel@cis.ohio-state.edu
 "If you wanna have fun, go to Washington.  Spokane!"  -- Cleric Apton