[comp.sys.amiga] SCA-Virus help

sjk@utastro.UUCP (Scot Kleinman) (08/10/88)

[a blank line]

Well, back when the virus discussion was going on, I didn't think I would
ever get one....
Now, I have found the SCA virus (it says something like "GOOD NEWS YOUR AMIGA
IS ALIVE AND SOME OF YOUR DISKS HAVE BEEN INFECTED BY A VIRUS SCA! SCA!...)
on 5 of my disks.  I have used a disk editor to locate the virus in the boot
block. Great, now that I have found it, how do I get rid of it?
Please forgive if this has been mentioned before.  I have also been away
recently and missed the news.
Thanks much for your help.

Scot

sjk@astro.as.utexas.edu (BITNET)

YOW! I am having fun.

koster@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Herbert West) (08/10/88)

In article <2995@utastro.UUCP> sjk@utastro.UUCP (Scot Kleinman) writes:
>on 5 of my disks.  I have used a disk editor to locate the virus in the boot

I think you can just INSTALL all infected disks, power down, and you will
be ok.

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (08/11/88)

In article <2995@utastro.UUCP> sjk@utastro.UUCP (Scot Kleinman) writes:
stuff deleted
>Now, I have found the SCA virus (it says something like "GOOD NEWS YOUR AMIGA
more deleted
>block. Great, now that I have found it, how do I get rid of it?

I think you should try VirusX 1.21. It's automatic if you include it
in your startup-sequence (in case of HD) or you boot it from a special
floppy. It checks disks whenever you insert it. It is PD, and it also
finds and destroys ByteBandit.

I recommend to always put the disks to check in df0:, I have had some
questionable behaviour with disks in my df2:

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (08/13/88)

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:
>In article <2995@utastro.UUCP> sjk@utastro.UUCP (Scot Kleinman) writes:
>stuff deleted
>>Now, I have found the SCA virus (it says something like "GOOD NEWS YOUR AMIGA
>more deleted
>>block. Great, now that I have found it, how do I get rid of it?
>
>I think you should try VirusX 1.21. It's automatic if you include it
>in your startup-sequence (in case of HD) or you boot it from a special
>floppy. It checks disks whenever you insert it. It is PD, and it also
>finds and destroys ByteBandit.
>
>I recommend to always put the disks to check in df0:, I have had some
>questionable behaviour with disks in my df2:

VirusX (by Steve Tibbett) is now up to version 1.6, thought ANY version
of it will detect the original SCA ("something wonderful...etc.")
virus.  The versions since 1.5 will now also act as "ViewBoot" does
(so you no longer need ViewBoot)... just click on VirusX's window and
hit 1, 2, 3, or 4 and you'll be shown the boot sectors for DF0: up to
DF4:.  Steve is now covering the SCA, Byte Bandit, Revenge, LSD,
Willow/Zorro Viruses and probably a few others. God help us.. the ONLY one
I've ever seen is the original SCA.  I must be living clean :-)

Harv Laser, Sysop, The People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {anybackbone}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com

eephdjh@pyr.gatech.EDU (Haleblian, Jim) (08/13/88)

Agreed, VirusX is definitely the way to go.  Several of us down in Atlanta
have had viruses detected and repaired.  The latest version out though, is
not 1.21.  It's 1.6 (available on PeopleLink).

Jim