[comp.sys.amiga] Lattice Debugger

On BIX Lattice said that they would be showing their source level debugger
at AmiExpo in Chicago. Did anyone who went see it? If so how about a
paragraph describing it in broad strokes (user interface, etc)

--Chuck McManis

kjohn@richp1.UUCP (John K. Counsulatant) (07/29/88)

In article <61642@sun.uucp> cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
>On BIX Lattice said that they would be showing their source level debugger
>at AmiExpo in Chicago. Did anyone who went see it? If so how about a
>paragraph describing it in broad strokes (user interface, etc)
>

>--Chuck McManis

	Naw, Lattice lied :-).  I did not see any sort of SDB at LAttice's
	Booth, although I did see a SDB for Lattice compilers at another
	booth (they were selling it, not demoing it).  It is a generic SDB
	that's been mentioned here on the net a few times so I won't go
	into details........

						KJohn

--
v Amiga ///    v Being a consultant, none of my opions represent anything real v
|  Man /// 500 | or imaginary, except maybe my own opions, but then again .... |
|  \\\/// 1000 +---------------------------------------------------------------+
^   \XX/  2000 ^ "I didn't do it, it must be a bug in the operating system.    ^

foy@aero.ARPA (Richard Foy) (08/01/88)

In article <340@richp1.UUCP> kjohn@richp1.UUCP (John K. Counsulatant) writes:

>	Naw, Lattice lied :-).  I did not see any sort of SDB at LAttice's
>	Booth, although I did see a SDB for Lattice compilers at another
>	booth (they were selling it, not demoing it).  It is a generic SDB
>	that's been mentioned here on the net a few times so I won't go
>	into details........
>
>						KJohn
>
>--
>v Amiga ///    v Being a consultant, none of my opions represent anything real v
>|  Ma...

I missed the discussion on the generic SDB debugger. Please say a few words
about who sells it and how it performs on teh Amiga.

Richard Foy

lel@wuphys.UUCP (Lyle E. Levine) (08/02/88)

In article <340@richp1.UUCP> kjohn@richp1.UUCP (John K. Counsulatant) writes:
>In article <61642@sun.uucp> cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
>>On BIX Lattice said that they would be showing their source level debugger
>>at AmiExpo in Chicago. Did anyone who went see it? If so how about a
>>paragraph describing it in broad strokes (user interface, etc)
>>

>>--Chuck McManis
>
>	Naw, Lattice lied :-).  I did not see any sort of SDB at LAttice's
>	Booth, although I did see a SDB for Lattice compilers at another
>	booth (they were selling it, not demoing it).  It is a generic SDB
>	that's been mentioned here on the net a few times so I won't go
>	into details........
>
>						KJohn
Sorry, but Lattice WAS showing their SDB for Lattice.  I didn't write
about it before since I didn't get a very good look at it and don't
have much experience using debuggers (except for the useful
printf...).  Anyway, I saw John Toebes sitting there and not looking
busy so I asked about Lattice 5.0.  It is due out in the fall and
will include the new SDB free of charge.  The user interface looks
excellent.  The thing is fully intuitionized with multiple windows
and full menus for everything. Rather than giving an incomplete list of
what it does,  I'd recommend contacting Lattice for full details.
All in all, I'd say I was very impressed with what I saw.  I can
hardly wait for my upgrade notice!

Oh yes...  Lattice 5.0 also will include a global optimizer.
Sounds nice, huh?

==========
IBM is a Division of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
"their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their
superficial design flaws."
			- "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish"

Lyle Levine: Paths -> ihnp4!wuphys!lel       Best way: (314)889-6379
		      uunet!wucs!wuphys!lel

toebes@sas.UUCP (John Toebes) (08/04/88)

In article <340@richp1.UUCP> kjohn@richp1.UUCP (John K. Counsulatant) writes:
>In article <61642@sun.uucp> cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
>>On BIX Lattice said that they would be showing their source level debugger
>>at AmiExpo in Chicago. Did anyone who went see it? If so how about a
>>paragraph describing it in broad strokes (user interface, etc)
>>--Chuck McManis
>	Naw, Lattice lied :-).  I did not see any sort of SDB at LAttice's
>	Booth ...
>						KJohn
We certainly did show a debugger to anyone who asked.  Lattice is not
interested in marketing new products until they are ready.  We have a strong
comittment to what is available now that the users can use and as such
emphasized the current products.  As for comments on how the debugger,
I would not be the one to make them (that would be biased :-) so you might
ask some of those people who saw it.

/*---------------------All standard Disclaimers apply---------------------*/
/*----Working for but not officially representing SAS or Lattice Inc.-----*/
/*----John A. Toebes, VIII             usenet:...!mcnc!rti!sas!toebes-----*/
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (08/05/88)

In article <340@richp1.UUCP> kjohn@richp1.UUCP (John K. Counsulatant) writes:

>	Naw, Lattice lied :-).  I did not see any sort of SDB at LAttice's
>	Booth, although I did see a SDB for Lattice compilers at another

Boy, is John Toebes going to be upset that he spent the whole time at
AmiExpo demoing CPR (the Lattice source-level debugger) and nobody noticed.

YES, Lattice DID demo their new source-level debugger.  No release date has
been announced because they do not want to get into the 'RSN syndrome'.

blubaugh@ucqais.uc.edu (Dwight Blubaugh) (08/05/88)

In article <586@sas.UUCP>, toebes@sas.UUCP (John Toebes) writes:
> In article <340@richp1.UUCP> kjohn@richp1.UUCP (John K. Counsulatant) writes:
> >In article <61642@sun.uucp> cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
> >>On BIX Lattice said that they would be showing their source level debugger
> >>at AmiExpo in Chicago. Did anyone who went see it? If so how about a
> >>paragraph describing it in broad strokes (user interface, etc)
> >>--Chuck McManis
> >	Naw, Lattice lied :-).  I did not see any sort of SDB at LAttice's
> >	Booth ...
> >						KJohn
> We certainly did show a debugger to anyone who asked.  Lattice is not
> interested in marketing new products until they are ready.  We have a strong
> comittment to what is available now that the users can use and as such
> emphasized the current products.  As for comments on how the debugger,
> I would not be the one to make them (that would be biased :-) so you might
> ask some of those people who saw it.
>
> /*---------------------All standard Disclaimers apply---------------------*/
> /*----Working for but not officially representing SAS or Lattice Inc.-----*/
> /*----John A. Toebes, VIII             usenet:...!mcnc!rti!sas!toebes-----*/
> /*------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

Well I saw the debugger ( I was nosey and asked ) and it looked pretty
good. I was impressed in its various modes of presentation of the source.
straight c
assembler
intermix of above two
Also impressive was the breakpoint capability. you could break after n
times past a break, break on variable changes (even register variables) and
other things I don't really remember.
What Lattice was very insistent about was that they needed ideas and
suggestions about what features people really need in a debugger.
I would say that I have found SDB unweildy with its window to front stuff
that it does in single stepping mode. I have to reactivate my own
windows every time SDB pops up for a hello message.
  I didn't get a chance to ask Lattice about how their debugger will
work with the IFF pgtb stuff they presented at DEVCON. Both a source
level debugger and trace back capability could prove interesting.
I hope that Lattice get the debugger out by fall because I will switch back
to lattice C when they do.

--
president of Ohio Valley Amiga Users Group (Cincinnati Ohio P.O. Box 428539)
It's good to be king!

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (08/05/88)

In article <586@sas.UUCP> toebes@sas.UUCP (John Toebes) writes:
>We certainly did show a debugger to anyone who asked.  Lattice is not
>interested in marketing new products until they are ready.

	Sorry if this sounds snide... but I *have* seen dozens of
Lattice "C++" ads for the past several months.  Therefore, I must
assume that C++ has been "ready" for the past several months?

--
Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP
		barrett@cs.jhu.edu

filip@alberta.UUCP (Don Filipchuk) (08/05/88)

(John Toebes) writes:
>We certainly did show a debugger to anyone who asked.  Lattice is not
>interested in marketing new products until they are ready.  We have a strong
>comittment to what is available now that the users can use and as such
>emphasized the current products.... [stuff deleted]
>/*-----All standard Disclaimers apply---   John A. Toebes, VIII  ----*/

         That's terrific!  A source level debugger is on it's way!
     And version 5 of  Lattice C !  Glad to hear it...

     Just wanted to mention, yesterday I got something in the
     mail from Lattice (nope, not the new newsletter yet, still
     waiting on that one...) but the point is, I *GOT SOMETHING
     IN THE MAIL* from Lattice.

     It's just nice to see from a software company ...
     they apparantly haven't forgotten about their customers (ie. me).

     Just wanted to give some credit where I felt it was due...

                          Don
|      Don Filipchuk         | "... with human females, I must           |
|                            |    restrain myself too much.  They are    |
|   University of Alberta    |    quite fragile."                        |
|    Edmonton, Alberta       |                                           |
|          Canada            |             - Lt. Worf --                 |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Disclaimer :   I hardly ever know what I'm talking about.              |

toebes@sas.UUCP (John Toebes) (08/08/88)

In article <6773@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP (Daniel Jay Barrett) writes:
>In article <586@sas.UUCP> toebes@sas.UUCP (John Toebes) writes:
>>We certainly did show a debugger to anyone who asked.  Lattice is not
>>interested in marketing new products until they are ready.
>
>	Sorry if this sounds snide... but I *have* seen dozens of
>Lattice "C++" ads for the past several months.  Therefore, I must
>assume that C++ has been "ready" for the past several months?
>Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP

No, you can assume that someone jumped the gun (by accident)
along with magazine lead times.  Once it happens, the best you can
do is let people know what is going on and ensure it doesn't happen
again.  With the 4.0 product, we missed the ship date by 7 days
(due to printer delays) and only had an advertisement out the
month ahead.  3.10 was handled similarly.  The basic philosophy I have
followed with the product is that 'you can only program with what is on the
shelf'.  Pre-advertisement (AKA RSN) doesn't help.

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (08/10/88)

In article <1483@ucqais.uc.edu> blubaugh@ucqais.uc.edu (Dwight Blubaugh) writes:
>  I didn't get a chance to ask Lattice about how their debugger will
>work with the IFF pgtb stuff they presented at DEVCON. Both a source
>level debugger and trace back capability could prove interesting.
>I hope that Lattice get the debugger out by fall because I will switch back
>to lattice C when they do.

A couple of points:
1. Although I work for SAS, and SAS owns Lattice, I have nothing to do with
   C compiler development, so these comments are all my impressions from
   seeing the stuff, alpha testing it, and informal conversations with
   John Toebes.

2. The IFF PGTB stuff was not presented by Lattice, it was presented by
   the Software Distillery (of which both John and I are members.)  The
   Distillery is working on support for the PGTB in the form of a TB program
   to let you get a traceback, etc.  The form is intended to be entirely
   non-partisan, not a Lattice-only thing.  That way any tools that come
   out to deal with PGTB forms will work on anybody's PGTB forms.

3. One feature that has been discussed for the debugger, although I'm not
   sure if it actually got into the first version, is the ability to load
   a PGTB-format file and actually allow you to do a post-mortem 'debugging
   session' on a dead program.  Since part of the PGTB file is the stack at
   the time of failure, enough information is available on local variables
   and so forth that you would be able to examine them after the fact, even
   if you weren't in the debugger when it died.

kjohn@richp1.UUCP (John K. Counsulatant) (08/12/88)

In article <321@cadomin.UUCP> filip@cadomin.UUCP (Don Filipchuk) writes:
>(John Toebes) writes:
>>We certainly did show a debugger to anyone who asked.  Lattice is not
>>interested in marketing new products until they are ready.  We have a strong
>>comittment to what is available now that the users can use and as such
>>emphasized the current products.... [stuff deleted]
>>/*-----All standard Disclaimers apply---   John A. Toebes, VIII  ----*/
>

>         That's terrific!  A source level debugger is on it's way!
>     And version 5 of  Lattice C !  Glad to hear it...
> [...]

	I am sorry, I spoke to John Tobbes at AmiEXPO, but didn't realize
	that the display he had up was the Source Debugger (duh).  I saw it
	displaying the output of a "lines" like demo and the source.  I
	just wasn't thinking real hard when I posted my negative notice.  I
	DID NOT HAVE IT DEMOed TO ME, but I didn't ask either :-).

	I APPOLGIZE TO John, Lattice, .....  Bad KJohn Bad

					KJohn

--
| Amiga ///    | Being a consultant, none of my opions represent anything real |

andrew@alberta.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) (08/15/88)

>(John Toebes) writes:
>>We certainly did show a debugger to anyone who asked.  Lattice is not
>>interested in marketing new products until they are ready.  We have a strong
>>comittment to what is available now that the users can use and as such
>>emphasized the current products.... [stuff deleted]
>>/*-----All standard Disclaimers apply---   John A. Toebes, VIII  ----*/

Great stuff!  I've been waiting for one of these.  My question is, will it
allow me to debug multiple execution threads?  It's real fun trying to
stick printf()'s inside tasks :-).

--
Andrew Folkins        ...ihnp4!alberta!andrew
The University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Remember, when all else is said and done, at least *we* have someplace to
park our keyboards.