[comp.sys.amiga] Autoboot

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (08/09/88)

Andy Finkel:

richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton):
>I have this PostSctript printer sitting here, 2+MB ram, 68000 ...

So put in a boot ROM, eh? ;-) Maybe CBM will poll the parallel port in
1.4.  Hmmm, if they don't in 1.3, that means you can't autoboot the
Microbotics drive, right?  Isn't it on the parallel port?

So poll the serial port in 1.3; maybe I can have my MIDI devices
autoboot some MusicOS into the Amiga. :-)

I have this clock with battery-backed RAM sitting on my serial port...

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"What a wonder is USENET; such wholesale production of conjecture from

ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) (08/11/88)

(Bob Page) writes:
)Andy Finkel:
]>(we don't boot from printers, either)
]richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton):
]>I have this PostSctript printer sitting here, 2+MB ram, 68000 ...
]So put in a boot ROM, eh? ;-) Maybe CBM will poll the parallel port in
]1.4.  Hmmm, if they don't in 1.3, that means you can't autoboot the
]Microbotics drive, right?  Isn't it on the parallel port?
]So poll the serial port in 1.3; maybe I can have my MIDI devices
]autoboot some MusicOS into the Amiga. :-)
]I have this clock with battery-backed RAM sitting on my serial port...
Wait! don't stop there...  How about booting off the keyboard?  Then you
could type in the bootcode in hex...  That one clock that goes between the
keyboard and the amiga has some ram in it too... :-)  Then there is
the game ports -- WHAT?  you won't support booting off the game ports?
Damn, and I have this mouse with 1 meg of ram too :-) :-)

--
------  Walter Reed  ------   + uunet!ndsuvax!ncreed or ncreed@ndsuvax.BITNET
"There's no point in being    +      or ncreed@plains.NoDak.edu

(Hit `n' now if you're offended by commercial announcements)

In article <1098@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) writes:
>(Bob Page) writes:
>)Andy Finkel:
>]>(we don't boot from printers, either)
>]richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton):
>]>I have this PostSctript printer sitting here, 2+MB ram, 68000 ...
>]So put in a boot ROM, eh? ;-) Maybe CBM will poll the parallel port in
>]1.4.  Hmmm, if they don't in 1.3, that means you can't autoboot the
>]Microbotics drive, right?  Isn't it on the parallel port?
>]So poll the serial port in 1.3; maybe I can have my MIDI devices
>]autoboot some MusicOS into the Amiga. :-)
>]I have this clock with battery-backed RAM sitting on my serial port...
>Wait! don't stop there...  How about booting off the keyboard?  Then you
>could type in the bootcode in hex...  That one clock that goes between the
>keyboard and the amiga has some ram in it too... :-)  Then there is
>the game ports -- WHAT?  you won't support booting off the game ports?
>Damn, and I have this mouse with 1 meg of ram too :-) :-)

Trailing Edge Technology - computer systems and hardware division, is
pleased to announce the availability of the ``Real Men'' Amiga 500/1000/2000
autoboot module.

For $499.95 you get a device that plugs into a game port (either one)
and interfaces the A500/1000/2000 to a bank of lights and switches.

When ordering, specify PDP 11/45 or the more powerful IMSAI 8080.

--
                 Who are these ones that would lead us now ?
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

In many articles, lots of people write:
>[booting off printers, parallel ports, serial ports, battery-backed clocks,
>keyboards, game ports, mice.... ]

	Wimps.

	I want to boot off the power cable.  I have this BSR controller that
can send binary down the powerline.......

Leo L. Schwab -- The Weird Guy		INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (08/15/88)

In article <6807@well.UUCP>, ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
> In many articles, lots of people write:
> >[booting off printers, parallel ports, serial ports, battery-backed clocks,
> >keyboards, game ports, mice.... ]
>
> 	I want to boot off the power cable.  I have this BSR controller that
> can send binary down the powerline.......

But I wanna boot off the "air", there's so very much data that is just
permeating the area where my Amy is located, it'd be a real shame not
to take advantage of it.  How 'bout a radio link that would recognize
boot code when it saw it. :-)

Rob Peck

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (08/16/88)

In article <5524@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>(Hit `n' now if you're offended by commercial announcements)

In the same spirit...

>In article <1098@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) writes:
>>(Bob Page) writes:
>>)Andy Finkel:

>Trailing Edge Technology - computer systems and hardware division, is
>pleased to announce the availability of the ``Real Men'' Amiga 500/1000/2000
>autoboot module.
>
>For $499.95 you get a device that plugs into a game port (either one)
>and interfaces the A500/1000/2000 to a bank of lights and switches.
>
>When ordering, specify PDP 11/45 or the more powerful IMSAI 8080.

Can I get a PDP8 module ?  I think I've still got RIM memorized.

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"If we can't fix it, it ain't broke."

:In article <6807@well.UUCP>, ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
:> In many articles, lots of people write:
:> >[booting off printers, parallel ports, serial ports, battery-backed clocks,
:> >keyboards, game ports, mice.... ]
:>
:
:But I wanna boot off the "air", there's so very much data that is just
:permeating the area where my Amy is located, it'd be a real shame not
:to take advantage of it.  How 'bout a radio link that would recognize
:boot code when it saw it. :-)
:
:Rob Peck

	But wait!  Both are possible without having to do a blessed thing to
your Amiga!  All you need is an employer who has a 1KW HAM rig next to the
house, and an unshielded SCSI cable going to your hard drive!

					-Matt