[comp.sys.amiga] LED Semantics

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (08/16/88)

[Boy I hope the color of this text is right....... and not reversed!]

In Message <3708@louie.udel.EDU>, BEB%UNO.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:

>Dan Sneakers Schein <sneakers@heimat.uucp> writes:
>>In Message <5390@gryphon.CTS.COM>, bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) writes:
>>>The LED light colors are reversed.  All floppy/hard drive busy lights I have
>>>seen are RED and power lights GREEN.  This is true on my Sony monitor, my old
>>>1080 monitor, and my Supra hard drive.  Will it void the 2000 warranty if I
>>>swap these LEDs on the 2000 bezel?  Would you consider standardizing this?
>>
>>  Huh?!? The 1000 had (has?) a RED power light - The SideCar had a RED power
>>  light. The 500 has a RED power light. The 1020 (5.25" drive) has a RED power
>>  light. The 1080 has a RED power light. The 1070 had a RED power light. The
>>  1084 has a RED power light. Need I go on? The A3000 will have.....
>Aw, come on! Soon as I set up my 500 and noticed the colors I thought they
>were reversed by accident. It didn't bother me til I got an external drive
>that properly had a red LED. Now I'm thinking it would have been kinda nice if
>they matched up. (Yeah, like tan/black bezels. Same thing. Sue me.)
>
>Green for power makes a hell of a lot more sense than red, doesn't it? Green
>means good/go, and red means bad/stop, right? If I got power I wanna see green.
>If I am prone to fingerpainting on live motherboards maybe it *should* be red.

  Sorry but I don't see where it make a big difference (or alot more sense)
  if the power was green and disk red. As for fingerpainting you motherboard,
  whatever trips your trigger :-)

>Likewise, if the disk is spinning I expect to see red. Stop. Don't pull out
>the disk. Bad news to pop disk.

  The fact that the light is "ON" indicates "Stop". This is regardless of if
  the light was BLUE! Guess your printer has GREEN for power, RED for out of
  paper and YELLOW for on-line. Hmmm what color do you use for BUSY then?!?

>As you indicated, this is a historical "feature". I'm sure there is a real
>amusing story behind it. We'd all laugh. But, it just isn't Zen. Kind of
>inconsistent for a machine with Intuition.

 I never said it was 'historical' and I sure didn't mean to imply that either.
 What I meant to say is that the Amiga line of computers use/used red for power,
 why change now. As for it not being 'Zen', who the F@&2 really cares? The next
 thing your going to complain about is drive 0 & 1 being reversed from the IBM
 PC. And ill tell you another amusing story:

 Once upon a time, long long long before the PC was a dream in IBM's eye. CBM
 made a computer called the PET, and it was good. Then the people who accepted
 this computer asked for a disk drive. Then they asked for a dual drive and the
 CBM 2040 was born. This drive was born with drive 0 on the right and drive 1
 on the left and the people said it was good.

><>Handle:   Bruce Bettis         USnail:   University of New Orleans  <>
   ^^^^^^
   Seems a bit too much like a CB for me good buddy.    Breaker 19........

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein     {alegra|amiga|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
 Sneakers Computing

 Of course heimat is an Amiga, doesn't everyone run UUCP & UseNet on an Amiga?

BEB%UNO.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (08/17/88)

Dan Sneakers Schein <sneakers@heimat.uucp> writes:
>  Sorry but I don't see where it make a big difference (or alot more sense)
>  if the power was green and disk red.

It doesn't make a big difference (to me anyway). It does make a lot more
sense. It's not worth going to war over, in any case.

>>Likewise, if the disk is spinning I expect to see red. Stop. Don't pull out
>>the disk. Bad news to pop disk.
>>
>  The fact that the light is "ON" indicates "Stop". This is regardless of if
>  the light was BLUE! Guess your printer has GREEN for power, RED for out of
>  paper and YELLOW for on-line. Hmmm what color do you use for BUSY then?!?

Plaid. But don't let that stop you, you're rolling...

>What I meant to say is that the Amiga line of computers use/used red for power,
>why change now.

Indeed, we'd just be confused. I can live with it...

>                As for it not being 'Zen', who the F@&2 really cares?
                                                    ^^^^
Richard Sexton just choked. Me, I'm on BITnet, I have to restrain myself. :)

I imagine there are a few out there, and people make buying decisions based on
the most minor things. The 500 is a consumer machine, and like a knowledgeable,
good consumer, I bought one. Good thing I didn't notice the reversed LEDs! :)

>                                                                     The next
>thing your going to complain about is drive 0 & 1 being reversed from the IBM
>PC.

Gee Dan, I have *my* df1 on the right. Was it supposed to go on the left? Damn.
I'm not a complainer. I love my Amiga. If Amiga owners provide feedback to
C=A maybe it will help to sell more Amigas. Is that a bad attitude?

>><>Handle:   Bruce Bettis         USnail:   University of New Orleans  <>
>   ^^^^^^
>   Seems a bit too much like a CB for me good buddy.    Breaker 19........

 ...and Willie Nelson coined the term "FileHandle" I suppose. I think we will
start boring people if we keep this up. (Everyone just thought: "too late." :)

> Of course heimat is an Amiga, doesn't everyone run UUCP & UseNet on an Amiga?

Braggart. :)
                                  Bruce
death before disclaimer
<>Handle:   Bruce Bettis         USnail:   University of New Orleans  <>
<>BITnet:   <BEB@UNO.BITNET>               Computer Research Center   <>
<>Voices:   (504) 286-7067                 New Orleans, La. 70148     <>