[comp.sys.amiga] The Amiga is loosing ground to I*B and A*ple...

rmeyers@tle.dec.com (Randy Meyers 381-2743 ZKO2-3/N30) (08/17/88)

decwrl!sun!aeras!edc writes:

>Just who are Amiga's competitors anyway?  It sure ain't Apple and Sun...
>I question if IBM worries about them.

Commodore has stated several times that it targets the Amiga against
IBM and Apple.  Those are the companies that have the markets Commodore
wants to sell to; those are the companies that sell machines that
roughly correspond in power to Amigas.

Don't make the same mistake that many people here have lately.  The Amiga
isn't positioned against the '020 and '386 machines.  The bulk of computers
sold are still the midrange 68000 and 80286.  The Amiga compares favorably
against those machine.  I would do an even swap of my Amiga for a
MAC II; I wouldn't swap for a MAC SE.

It is reasonable to position an Amiga 2000 against the '020 and '386
machines in certain situations.  For example, in desktop video having
a display resolution much different from the Amiga's is a great drawback
since a television display is an overscan interlaced Amiga display.  The
typical display hardware for a MAC II is just all wrong for that
application (thought its great for desktop publishing).

It is even reasonable to position an Amiga 2000 with an accelerator card
against '020 and '386 machines for many compute bound applications.

>The only competitor I can see is Atari.  At least I get to see Atari at
>UNIX trade shows... Amiga? Never!

Atari has a strong reputation for demoing a lot of non-products.  Just
because Atari goes to a few shows with a few demos does not mean that
they will or can produce such a product.  Of course, this is true for
any manufacturer (including Commodore).

For what its worth, Commodore has been demoing its System V on a 2000
with the Commodore '020 board.  You just don't go to the right shows.

>>  BTW, I have had my Amiga since day one.  It's sad to see the Amiga's
>>edge wither away...
>
>Me too, I sold mine about a year ago.  Glad I did.

The Amiga's is gone when you class it as a absolute top of the line
personal computer.  However, when considered to be a mid-range pc
in the class with the Mac SE, MAC plus, IBM clones, XT and AT, and low
end to middle PS/2 machines it is a strong contender.   It's still
the sharpest machine around in its class.

>I KNOW those slimeballs would be REALLY secretive about an A1000 > A2000
>upgrade.

Slightly after the Amiga 2000 and 500 were announced, Commodore put
on a show for the combined Boston Computer Society.  At that meeting,
a Commodore representative stated that they were considering the
A1000 + $1000 = A2000 upgrade.  This statement made it out to comp.sys.amiga
by the end of the evening.  All of this occurred a few months before
the machine was selling in the United States.  At the same time the
2000 made it to the store shelves, Commodore officially announced
the upgrade program.  The tradeup program was announced in all the
magazines (before that it was rumored in all the magazines).  All the
dealers knew about it.  The trade-up program was extended at least twice.
Anyone who was minimally active in the Amiga community knew about it.

>Damn interesting machine though.  The sh*t will really hit the fan if
>when Apple drops the price of the MacII.

Of course the Amiga will disappear if the MAC II is priced at about the
Amiga's level.  However, if the market warrants the MAC II's price taking
a plunge low enough to affect Amiga sales (we are talking major drop
here), the same forces would cause the price of the Amiga to drop.
The MAC II just doesn't effect Amiga sales very much;  the machines
are in different ecological niches.  You might as well say that if
cows ate plankton whales would die off.

There is one market force that allows the MAC II to steal Amiga sales.
There are a percentage of pc users that need and have the money to buy
more expensive hardware then is currently available.  Those people always
jump to the new fastest machine when it becomes available.  However,
they are not all of the market.

The market supports machines targeted at several different levels.  Did
you notice that when IBM threw out their old models and introduced the
PS/2 line that not all of the new machines had '386 CPUs?  Did you notice
that one of the machines was the moral equivalent of a slightly jazzed
up XT?  Do you think that IBM knows something about computer marketing
and what products sell?

>I suspect that CBM is lose it in about a year or two.

Commodore will lose big if they sell today's products in two years.  So
will every other manufacturer.  The Amiga was introduced as a high end
pc.  However, Commodore botched the marketing and botched the expansion
ability of the machine.  Commodore was able to correct the problem and
reincarnate the Amiga as a powerful but medium level machine.   That
means in two years that they will have to come out with a significantly
more powerful machine to hold on to middle level status or aspire to high
end status. They could keep the current Amiga around as an inexpensive
"toy" computer.

>By the way? anybody got sales figures for Word Perfect on the Amiga?
>I'll bet they suck.

WordPerfect is delighted with their Amiga sales figures.  An official at
WordPerfect has been quoted in saying that they took a lot of ribbing
when they started their Amiga division, but it has proved to be so
lucrative that some other "big name" companies are considering getting
into the Amiga business.  Interestingly enough, I've seen several WordPerfect
Corp advertisements looking for Amiga programmers (perhaps the most
concrete sign that the Amiga business is good).

>Face it, Hackers buy Amigas. POOR hackers who can't afford Macs.

Funny, most of the Amiga hackers I know could afford could afford
a MAC II.

Randy Meyers, not representing Digital Equipment Corporation
	USENET:	{decwrl|decvax|decuac}!tle.dec.com!rmeyers
	ARPA:	rmeyers%tle.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com