[comp.sys.amiga] Hard Disk Card in a Mini-Rack C!

cheung@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Wilson Cheung) (08/17/88)

	Well, finally after giving up on a reliable SCSI drive for the A1000,
I tried out the $399 ST506 controller card.  This turns out to be Zorro I
compatible and only requires +-5 volt supplies and therefore, works fine
on the Mini-Rack C (Which is free with purchase of a board from ASDG).

	Disregarding shipping costs I spent:

		$399 for controller
			 hard drive case and power supply

		$389 for a hi-speed ST251 (KAL PC in Computer Shopper)
 			   40 mb drive.

The Escort 2 ST506 controller card is made by Expansion Technologies in
Freemont, California.

	The only difference in installation inside the Mini-Racks and the
Escort 2 expansion boxes is that you don't have to worry about changing
power supply jumpers on the Mini-Racks, but you do have to widen the
cable openings in the rear of the Mini-Racks to allow the controller cables
to go through.

	For anyone looking for a reliable hard drive with reliable memory this
is the only existing set up for the A1000, except for purchasing an A2000
compatible expansion box (currently made by CSA for around $1000) and A2000
boards.   Additionally these boards will also work fine in the 2000 and 1
box (A2000, IBM, CPU and Zorro-I slots) to be produced by ASDG some time
in the future.

					Wilson Cheung

kodiak@amiga.UUCP (Robert R. Burns) (08/18/88)

In article <1814@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU> cheung@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Wilson Cheung) writes:
)	For anyone looking for a reliable hard drive with reliable memory this
)is the only existing set up for the A1000...
        ^^^^
	huh?

I try hard not to take part in the "What hardware is best for me" threads
since I cannot claim to be free of commercial interest.  I've not had any
problems w/ my Starboard/StarDrive combination.  I'm sure there are others
with other combinations that work.  Glad you found something that worked
for you.  Let's keep the negative generalizations to a minimum.  Please.

- Kodiak
--
|\   Kodiak    \   amiga!kodiak       _______/ A \| \/ |_|_|___|/ A \
| \ Software                        "dedicated to the science of fun"\_________

>In article <1814@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU> cheung@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Wilson Cheung) writes:
>)	For anyone looking for a reliable hard drive with reliable memory this
>)is the only existing set up for the A1000...
>        ^^^^

	I haven't had any problems with my StarBoard/StarDrive, but it still
sounds like you got yourself a pretty good deal!

					-Matt

billd@crash.cts.com (Bill D'Camp) (08/18/88)

In article <1814@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU> cheung@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Wilson Cheung) writes:

>	For anyone looking for a reliable hard drive with reliable memory this
>is the only existing set up for the A1000, except for purchasing an A2000
>compatible expansion box (currently made by CSA for around $1000) and A2000
>boards.   Additionally these boards will also work fine in the 2000 and 1
>box (A2000, IBM, CPU and Zorro-I slots) to be produced by ASDG some time
>in the future.
>

>					Wilson Cheung

I'm happy that you found something that you feel is reliable and is sufficient
for your needs, but I feel that you could at least mention that there are other
manufacturers of products out there as well.  For instance, our BusExpander
provides the A500 or A1000 user with 6 Amiga slots and 6 IBM slots and has a
suggested retail price of only $495.  The BusExpander is a computer subassembly
which fits into a user supplied Baby AT case and expects an IBM compatible
power supply.  We were showing and selling the product at the Chicago Ami-Expo.
To the best of my knowledge, ours is the only product to work with either the
A500 or the A1000.  This means that you can not only buy the less expensive
A2000 type peripherals, but if you have a 1000 and want Fat Agnus and extra
chip RAM you need only replace your 1000 with a 500.

					Bill D'Camp
					General Partner
					Bill's Boards

--
    _   /|		    Fundamentally Oral Bill
    \`o_O'		    UUCP: {akqua,hplabs!hp-sdd,sdcsvax,nosc}crash!billd

	     Bill's Boards --- peripherals for the Amiga

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (08/18/88)

>>In article <1814@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU> cheung@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Wilson Cheung) writes:
>>)	For anyone looking for a reliable hard drive with reliable memory this
>>)is the only existing set up for the A1000...
>>        ^^^^
>
>	I haven't had any problems with my StarBoard/StarDrive, but it still
>sounds like you got yourself a pretty good deal!
>
>					-Matt

	Don't forget Bill's Boards expansion. Almost all of a 2000 ( no
coprosser possible) for under $500 is pretty inexpensive to me. Thats
6 Zorro II and 6 PC slots.	Works with both A1000 and A500!

Monty