[comp.sys.amiga] SCSI tape drives

ockenden@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Paul T Ockenden) (07/11/88)

I have a C-Ltd controller strapped to the side of my A500, and an adaptec
SCSI->ST-506 converter. I'm wondering how easy (& cheap!) it would be to
add a tape streamer to this set-up. I see from a recent BYTE that adaptec
make a SCSI->Tape drive converter. Also, I think several people make SCSI
tape streamers.

Now, how easy would it be for me to add a streamer? - Would the C-Ltd s/w
work with a streamer, or would I need something else??? - Has anyone done
something like this ??? - what is best (i.e. cheapest!), A SCSI tape
streamer, or native i/f with adaptec ???

#:wq
(damn!!)

--
Paul Ockenden  Philips Radiotheapy Systems, Crawley, UK  +44 293 28787 x 4349
  UUCP - uunet!mcvax!ukc!prlhp1!ockenden  JANET - ockenden%prlhp1@uk.ac.Ukc

thad@cup.portal.com (07/16/88)

'Tis trivial to connect a SCSI streamer to the Amiga.

I have a Fujitsu M2451A (with Fujitsu M1008A SCSI<=>ESDI controller) 1/2"
ANSI cartridge (190MB) tape drive operating fine connected to a Supra SCSI
host adapter.

I'm also involved with the Harvard Univ. QIC-40 project, to bring 1/4" QIC-40
capability to the Amiga via the SCSI interface(s); this project, when
completed, will release to the public domain all the software and provide total
media interchange between Amigas, Macs, IBM/PCs, various UNIX boxes, etc.  This
project is starting slowly; I'm still awaiting specs and the hardware from the
project coordinator, but it will be completed this year.

My intent is to issue periodic status reports on the project, so stay tuned to
this newsgroup.

Thad Floryan  (thad@cup.portal.com   [or]  ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad)

jjv3345@ritcv.UUCP (Drool Rockworm) (08/19/88)

In article <516@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk> ockenden@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Paul T Ockenden) writes:
>I have a C-Ltd controller strapped to the side of my A500, and an adaptec
>SCSI->ST-506 converter. I'm wondering how easy (& cheap!) it would be to
>add a tape streamer to this set-up. I see from a recent BYTE that adaptec
>make a SCSI->Tape drive converter. Also, I think several people make SCSI
>tape streamers.
>
>Now, how easy would it be for me to add a streamer? - Would the C-Ltd s/w
>work with a streamer, or would I need something else??? - Has anyone done
>something like this ??? - what is best (i.e. cheapest!), A SCSI tape
>streamer, or native i/f with adaptec ???

I want to do the same, but noone seems to have any concrete ideas on where
to get the Amiga software to drive a streaming tape unit.  You'd think that
with all the hard disks out there it would be available...

 It could be up to us...

Let me know if anyone finds out something about a publically available
tape setup for the Amy.
|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| PLEASE!  Keep in mind that I am not the owner of this account!  Please |
|          note that the real authors name, mine, is stated below!       |
|      S           |   "A bored hacker is a dangerous thing"             |
|    BLACK         |                                                     |
|      B           |   Member of the TCTWOPC :                           |
|      B   Still   |                                                     |
|      A   Lives!  |   The Coalition To Wipe Out Phil Collins            |
|      H           |	sunrock!bisco!drool  aka Drool Rockworm          |