[comp.sys.amiga] HELP: closing the initial cli window

bhh@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Barry Hales) (08/19/88)

I am having trouble closing the initial startup AmigaDOS window.  On some of
my disks, I have an "endcli > nil:", and this ends the process and closes
the window.  In other startup-sequences, esp. ones that mount vd0: and
execute other processes (like Dmouse and ConMan), the process ends but the
window stays open.  Since I am running conman, I don't want to use the
initial cli, but new ones using conhandler.  I'm sure somebody out there
knows why this is happening, but I can't find a pattern to it.  I have boot
disks that run vd0: and close normally, and ones that don't run dmouse or
conman and still won't close.  I have hacked at this problem for a couple of
days and am still stuck.  Any help would be appreciated.

Pleases reply via e-mail, unless you feel the net would profit from your
response.

Thank you
Barry Hales
bhh@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

Disclaimer: It's my fault, so don't blame NCSU....

>I am having trouble closing the initial startup AmigaDOS window.  On some of
>my disks, I have an "endcli > nil:", and this ends the process and closes
>
>Pleases reply via e-mail, unless you feel the net would profit from your
>response.
>
>Thank you
>Barry Hales
>bhh@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
>
>Disclaimer: It's my fault, so don't blame NCSU....

	This is my startup sequence.  I do exactly what you want... close
the initial CLI window so ConMan works in all my windows:

					-Matt

	--- DF0:S/STARTUP-SEQUENCE ---
binddrivers
mount dhb:
dhb:c/execute dhb:s/startup-sequence
dhb:c/endcli >nil:

	--- DHB:S/STARTUP-SEQUENCE ---

dhb:c/stack 10000
dhb:c/assign l: dhb:l
dhb:c/assign libs: dhb:libs
dhb:c/cd ram:
dhb:c/conman -b1000
dhb:c/newcli con:40/40/600/160/AmigaDOS FROM dhb:s/startup-2

In article <2102@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> bhh@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Barry Hales) writes:
>I am having trouble closing the initial startup AmigaDOS window.  On some of
>
>Pleases reply via e-mail, unless you feel the net would profit from your
>response.
>
>Thank you
>Barry Hales

After getting great response, I thought I would summarise the responses on
the net.

It seems that even if you RUN a process, that process still wants to keep a
window open for I/O.  The pd utility RUNBACK, on fish disk 65 (and an update
on fish disk 73, i think) will run a process independent of the cli.

I would like to thank everyone that responded, and also Mr. Dillon for his
startup-sequence..