[comp.sys.amiga] Yea, but can an Amiga Shell do this....

jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) (08/09/88)

After hearing the talk of AmigaShell and other related things.
I am wondering if any of these shells can execute my favorite
unix KSH command, namely the backtick. Let me give you an
example.

Backtick (or grave accent) will "execute a command in place"
and let the results of that command be the arguements for
your command line. For example, the unix where command finds
where a command is located in the PATH variable, while the
file command tells what type of command it is (shell script
or executable). To find out what type of command ls is I could
type:
		> where ls
		> /bin/ls
		> file /bin/ls
or I could type:
		> file `where ls`

This may not seem like much to you, but let me assure you that
it is great. With it and pipes I can do database ANDs on text files.
For example suppose I was interested in the names of all files that
have one line that says:
	Field 1: C Source
and another line that says:
	Field 2: Game

I can find these files by the command (Warning, terse unix commands
follow):

grep "Field 1: C Source" `grep "Field 2: Game" * | cut -f1 -d":"`

Is there an Amiga Shell that can do this stuff?

	This space would have been	|	Mike Davis
	LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK	|	ihnp4!ihlpm!jmdavis
	had I not written in it. 	|_________________________

perley@mazda.steinmetz (Donald P Perley) (08/10/88)

In article <2213@ihlpm.ATT.COM> jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) writes:

>After hearing the talk of AmigaShell and other related things.
>I am wondering if any of these shells can execute my favorite
>unix KSH command, namely the backtick. Let me give you an
>example.
>
>Backtick (or grave accent) will "execute a command in place"
>and let the results of that command be the arguements for
>your command line.

Tshell supports backquoted commands.  You can say something like:
cp `cat /df0/printlist` prt: &

It is a commercial product: $50 from
Metran Technology, Box 890, West Oneonta NY 13861.

They have a crippled demo disk (no utilities and terminates after a
random number of commands) that you can probably get if you send an
s.a.s.e. and a blank, or try your local dealer.

The usual disclaimers: I have no association with Tshell other than
meeting "Mr. T" once and using the product.

-don perley

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (08/10/88)

In article <2213@ihlpm.ATT.COM> jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) writes:
>I am wondering if any of these shells can execute my
>unix KSH command, namely the backtick.

	Yes and no.  Somebody *has* modified the Dillon/Drew shell
to include the backtick.  This version was based on V2.07M of the
shell.

	However, the implementation of backtick is not completely
general.  Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't, depending
on where in your command the backtick was.  I seem to remember that
you could do:

	$ file `where ls`

but you couldn't put the backtick first in your command, like:

	$ `where ls`

--
Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP
		barrett@cs.jhu.edu

bts@sas.UUCP (Brian T. Schellenberger) (08/11/88)

In article <2213@ihlpm.ATT.COM> jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) writes:

|After hearing the talk of AmigaShell and other related things.
|I am wondering if any of these shells can execute my favorite
|unix KSH command, namely the backtick.

Well, I don't know if any of them have this built in, but I wrote an ARexx
function (which I called bquote, but you could call whatever you want) to
do just this.  With the WShell and ARP, you can do things like:

    2> "join backq(grep -l FOOSTR *) > FOOSTR_files"

(Providing, that is, that you have something like grep available.)

Actually, I wrote it as a subfunction while writing FOREACH, which is used
as follows:

    foreach fn (*.c)
        print $fn
    end

(just like in csh) or, to be more consise,

    foreach (*.c) print

(I just wish I could do *that* in csh!  Oh, well, csh is pretty primitive
compared to WShell/ARexx . . . I'm sure we'll get 4.3 at work someday and
then I can see if ksh is up to the standards of my Amiga software . . . )

Note that WShell and ARexx know nothing in particular about Unix (ARexx is
from the IBM mainframe world originally), but ARexx is so powerful that in
my very first evening with it I was able to write both of the above-mentioned
little functions.

SO anyway, the answer is: WShell+ARexx (+ARP+conman, but they come with
WSHell so they don't count when ordering) is so flexible and powerful that
it can probably be made to do anything your favorite system at work does
without too much trouble, and they are certainly up to  the functionality of
the csh `backquote`.

BTW, if people are interested I can post the relavent programs.  Actually, I'd
go ahead and do it now, but I don't happen to be at home at the moment, so
I can't . . .
--
--Brian,                     __________________________________________________
  the man from              |Brian T. Schellenberger   ...!mcnc!rti!sas!bts

In article <2213@ihlpm.ATT.COM> jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) writes:

>After hearing the talk of AmigaShell and other related things.
>I am wondering if any of these shells can execute my favorite
>unix KSH command, namely the backtick. Let me give you an
>example.

>		> where ls
>		> /bin/ls
>		> file /bin/ls
>or I could type:
>		> file `where ls`
>
>This may not seem like much to you, but let me assure you that
>it is great. With it and pipes I can do database ANDs on text files.

>Is there an Amiga Shell that can do this stuff?

	There are at least two amiga shells that can do that.  My shell
(SeaShell, unreleased) and TShell, by Jay Ts.  TShell is available for, I
think, $50.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (08/11/88)

In Message <2213@ihlpm.ATT.COM>, jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) writes:

>After hearing the talk of AmigaShell and other related things.
>I am wondering if any of these shells can execute my favorite
>unix KSH command, namely the backtick. Let me give you an
>example.

  I havent seen a shell (yet) that will allow the 'backtick'. But it should be
  able to be done with pipes (or was that mirrors.. Hmm..). Of course a pipe
  device is included FREE with AmigaDOS V1.3 - at a store near you RSN.

>		> where ls
>		> /bin/ls
>		> file /bin/ls
>or I could type:
>		> file `where ls`

  1> where >pipe:1 ls
  1> file <pipe:1

>	This space would have been	|	Mike Davis

  Doesn't have quite the same meaning when trimmed to 1 line :-)

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein     {alegra|amiga|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
 Sneakers Computing

 Of course heimat is an Amiga, doesn't everyone run UUCP & UseNet on an Amiga?

charles@hpcvca.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (08/13/88)

> I havent seen a shell (yet) that will allow the 'backtick'. But it should be
> able to be done with pipes (or was that mirrors.. Hmm..). Of course a pipe
> device is included FREE with AmigaDOS V1.3 - at a store near you RSN.
>>		> where ls
>>		> /bin/ls
>>		> file /bin/ls
>>or I could type:
>>		> file `where ls`
>  1> where >pipe:1 ls
>  1> file <pipe:1
>>	This space would have been	|	Mike Davis
> Dan "Sneakers" Schein     {alegra|amiga|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers

This is not the same.  In the case of
	file `where ls`
file is getting its arguments from the command line.  In the case
	file <pipe:1
file must accept its arguments from stdin.  Few programs behave the
same way when given inputs in such different ways.  Backticks are very
difficult to fake.
--
Charles Brown
	Not representing Hewlett-Packard.

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (08/13/88)

In article <1836.AA1836@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>In Message <2213@ihlpm.ATT.COM>, jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) writes:
>>
>>		> file `where ls`
>
>  1> where >pipe:1 ls
>  1> file <pipe:1

	Sorry, Dan, but these are not equivalent.  In Davis's example,
`where ls` expands into a COMMAND LINE ARGUMENT for "file".  In your
example, you have "file" reading from standard input.
	Pipes really can't replace the backtick.
--

In article <1284@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
>In article <6804@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) writes:
>

>What the hell's a "backtick".  Is it anything like a grave'? :-)

I believe that grave, agouve (definitly sp ?) and circumflex are the three
french accent marks. Backtick is primarily a British (and therefore
candian :-) and therefore north east USA :-) :-) term for an
opening single quote. Also called a backquote. Or as they say in Tejas,
``The thing under the squiggly thing on an A1000 keyboard. Y'all''

--
                 Who are these ones that would lead us now ?
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

ericb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Eric Black) (08/15/88)

In article <2466@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1284@flatline.UUCP>, erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
>> What the hell's a "backtick".  Is it anything like a grave'? :-)
>
>A backtick is actually a FORTH term for the back-quote or grave accent. Why
>these people are applying it in this context is beyond me.
>--

Probably because "backtick" is a whole lot easier to pronounce than
"grave accent" or "backwards single quote", and somewhat easier than
"back quote".

Old hackers have similarly pronounceable names for most punctuation.  Here
are some that I use myself in spoken conversation:

	'!' is "bang" [UNIX and UUCP life forms know this one well]
		      [in C programs, it's more commonly called "not"]
	'.' is "dot"  [also quite common]
	'@' is "at"   [pretty obvious]
	'#' is "pound" [Stanford types sometimes use "hash", I'm an MIT type]
	'^' is "up"   [_nobody_ seems to understand "circumflex"]
	'*' is "star" [some people "splat", but others use "splat" for '#'...]
	'|' is "pipe" [even in non-UNIX contexts]
	'~' is "squiggle" [some folks don't know whether "tilde" is '~' or '^']
	'_' is "bar"  [MUCH easier to say than "underscore"]
	'?' is "ques"
	'/' is "slash"
	'\' is "back-slash"
	'\'' is "tick" [would you REALLY rather say "single quote"?]
	'"' is "quote" [sometimes "double quote", depending on context]
	';' is "semi" [that's "sem-ee"]
	'&' is "and"  [just _try_ to say "ampersand" fast without tangling]

Some spoken terms are not easier to pronounce, but make it harder to confuse
the symbol with another:

	'{' is "curly-brace"
	'}' is "close curly-brace"
	'[' is "square bracket'
	']' is "close square bracket"

Some C di-graphs:

	"->' is "points to"
	"==" is "equal to"
	"!=" is "not equal to"
	"+=" is "bump up"
	"-=" is "bump down"
	"++" is "bump", "pre-bump", or "post-bump", as appropriate
	"&&" is "and and" or "double and" [NOT "ampersand ampersand"!]
	"||" is "or or" [slap the backs of your hands together while
			 balancing a ball on your nose]

I don't know, but I suspect that the pronounceable FORTH word "tick" is not
original with FORTH.  Many of these terms were in common use by the late
sixties/early seventies, and I have no idea when the FORTH word "'" was
first pronounced as "tick".

--
Eric Black	"Garbage in, Gospel out"
Atherton Technology, 1333 Bordeaux Dr., Sunnyvale, CA, 94089

edwin@hcr.UUCP (Edwin Hoogerbeets) (08/16/88)

In article <1836.AA1836@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP writes:
>In Message <2213@ihlpm.ATT.COM>, jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) writes:
>>After hearing the talk of AmigaShell and other related things.
>>I am wondering if any of these shells can execute my favorite
>>unix KSH command, namely the backtick. Let me give you an
>>example.
>  I havent seen a shell (yet) that will allow the 'backtick'. But it should be
>  able to be done with pipes (or was that mirrors.. Hmm..). Of course a pipe
>  device is included FREE with AmigaDOS V1.3 - at a store near you RSN.

Amigans, rejoice!

There is a version of Matt's csh on Fish 145 that does this. It was
modified by Johan Widen from the 2.07 original to have this backtick
argument execution and to have file name completion. (yeah!!). It requires
ARP 1.1 to run.

I'm just waiting for the << operator. It is the only obstacle left
against unsharing real Unix shars on the Amiga. (Amiga sed is
on Fish 128 and wc is on Fish 69... anything else needed?)

------ --------- = -------------------------------------------
Edwin (Deepthot)                      Waterloo co-op student, HCR Corporation
Hoogerbeets		                   2A computer science and psychology
uunet!utai!utcsri!hcr!edwin                                  Me Tarzan, Unix.
                  edwin@hcr         //           Freudian slips? This message
or:                                //               contains no Freudian sex.
...!hcr!MsgPort!edwin          \\ //   Amiga             Everyone is entitled
A B2000 running UUPC            \X/  Enthusiast            to my own opinion!

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (08/16/88)

In article <6821@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP (Daniel Jay Barrett) writes:
>In article <1836.AA1836@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>>In Message <2213@ihlpm.ATT.COM>, jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) writes:
>>>
>>>		> file `where ls`
>>
>>  1> where >pipe:1 ls
>>  1> file <pipe:1
>
>	Sorry, Dan, but these are not equivalent.  In Davis's example,
>`where ls` expands into a COMMAND LINE ARGUMENT for "file".  In your
>example, you have "file" reading from standard input.
>	Pipes really can't replace the backtick.

Actually, you're both right...its a floor wax *and* a dessert topping!  :-)

For standard AmigaDOS commands, pipe can replace the backtick
(well, almost)

Placing a ? after a command forces it to get any missing command line
arguments from stdin.

Here's an example...

	cat -v `which echo`

could be done by

which >pipe:1 echo
type <pipe:1 opt h ?

The backtick is more elegant, of course.

		andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"If we can't fix it, it ain't broke."

wen@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (A. Wen) (08/17/88)

In article <215@mango.athertn.Atherton.COM> ericb@mango.UUCP (Eric Black) writes:
>	'#' is "pound" [Stanford types sometimes use "hash", I'm an MIT type]

	We've always called it "sharp;" I suspect that "pound" is a by-product
	of the fact that the British pound sign is often on the same key

>	'~' is "squiggle" [some folks don't know whether "tilde" is '~' or '^']

	Doesn't anyone else in the world call it a "twiddle?"

	A. Wen
	wen@husc4.HARVARD.EDU
	wen@harvunxu.BITNET

:
:	We've always called it "sharp;" I suspect that "pound" is a by-product
:	of the fact that the British pound sign is often on the same key

	I always say HASH and I'm from Berkeley.... though sometimes the Cops
	get a bit confused anyway.

:>	'~' is "squiggle" [some folks don't know whether "tilde" is '~' or '^']
:
:	Doesn't anyone else in the world call it a "twiddle?"

	I used to say twiddle but it sounds like am reciting a fairy tale
	sometimes.

						-Matt

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer) (08/18/88)

In article <3782@hcr.UUCP> edwin@hcrvax.UUCP (Edwin Hoogerbeets) writes:

=-I'm just waiting for the << operator. It is the only obstacle left
=-against unsharing real Unix shars on the Amiga. (Amiga sed is
=-on Fish 128 and wc is on Fish 69... anything else needed?)
=-
	Yes, it would be ever so convenient if Matt's Shell used . and .. to
refer to the current and parent directories, respectively (.. currently only
works with cd).  Then I could type 'mv ../dir1/file1 ../dir1/file2 .' instead
of 'cd ../dir1; mv file1 file2 longpathname/dir2; cd ../dir2'.  And while we're
at it, how about history substitution anywhere, instead of just at the first
word.  Oh, and ! for history number in $_prompt.  In other words, just port
csh, minus all the process control stuff :-)
	This is not to be taken as Matt or Steve bashing--just suggestions for
anyone feeling the need to hack.
/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
_No dark sarcasm in the classroom|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|___
|____Teachers leave the kids alone__|_____|_____|_____|_bryan@cs.utexas.edu___|
___|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|{ihnp4,seismo,...}!cs.utexas.edu!bryan_
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

:	Yes, it would be ever so convenient if Matt's Shell used . and .. to
:refer to the current and parent directories, respectively (.. currently only
:works with cd).  Then I could type 'mv ../dir1/file1 ../dir1/file2 .' instead
:of 'cd ../dir1; mv file1 file2 longpathname/dir2; cd ../dir2'.  And while we're

	Actually, the standard AMIGA way of doing 'parent directory' is a
single slash, which I find much easier than having to type '..' all the time:

	mv /dir1/file1 /dir1/file2 $_cwd

	Un fortunetly, there is a bug in my shell (fixed soon) when you
	give a relative path for the destination directory that begins with
	a '/'.

>at it, how about history substitution anywhere, instead of just at the first
:word.  Oh, and ! for history number in $_prompt.  In other words, just port
:csh, minus all the process control stuff :-)
:	This is not to be taken as Matt or Steve bashing--just suggestions for

	Unfortunetly, the real CSH is copyrighted.  If I were to port the
source it my be a breach of contract with the university.

ecarroll@cs.tcd.ie (Eddy Carroll) (08/18/88)

In article <5660004@hpcvca.HP.COM>, charles@hpcvca.HP.COM (Charles Brown) writes:
>> I havent seen a shell (yet) that will allow the 'backtick'. But it should be
>> able to be done with pipes (or was that mirrors.. Hmm..). Of course a pipe
>> device is included FREE with AmigaDOS V1.3 - at a store near you RSN.
>>>		> where ls
>>>		> /bin/ls
>>>		> file /bin/ls
>>>or I could type:
>>>		> file `where ls`
>>  1> where >pipe:1 ls
>>  1> file <pipe:1
>>>	This space would have been	|	Mike Davis
>> Dan "Sneakers" Schein     {alegra|amiga|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
>
> This is not the same.  In the case of
> 	file `where ls`
> file is getting its arguments from the command line.  In the case
> 	file <pipe:1
> file must accept its arguments from stdin.  Few programs behave the
> same way when given inputs in such different ways.  Backticks are very
> difficult to fake.
> --
> Charles Brown
> 	Not representing Hewlett-Packard.

You can do it with the Dillon/Drew shell though (at least in recent versions).
To get the effect of:

    Command1 `Command2 Args`

you would use:

    Command2 Args | input args; Command1 $args

Which gives you all the functionality without too much extra typing.

Eddy Carroll                    "You haven't lived until you've died in MUD!"
Email: ecarroll@cs.tcd.ie
Compunet: ALLANON                         ----* Genuine MUD wizard

ricks@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Rick Schaeffer) (08/18/88)

In article <3782@hcr.UUCP> edwin@hcrvax.UUCP (Edwin Hoogerbeets) writes:

>Amigans, rejoice!
>
>There is a version of Matt's csh on Fish 145 that does this. It was
>modified by Johan Widen from the 2.07 original to have this backtick
>argument execution and to have file name completion. (yeah!!). It requires
>ARP 1.1 to run.
>
>I'm just waiting for the << operator. It is the only obstacle left
>against unsharing real Unix shars on the Amiga. (Amiga sed is
>on Fish 128 and wc is on Fish 69... anything else needed?)

I like CSH a *lot*!  It does have a few problems that need fixing before
it is really capable of unsharing real Unix shar files.  For instance,
there needs to be some way for a child process of CSH to access CSH's
environment.  Most importantly, a shell spawned by CSH should inherit
it's parents environment.

For instance, I have been recently been working on a port of RCS (Revision
Control System) to the Amiga using Manx C.  It doesn't have a proper
Unix compatible "system" function but does have fexecv.  I first tried
implementing a system function of my own which parsed up the string
argument into an argv array that fexecv would take.  That sort of worked...
except that it didn't handle redirection (and in particular output append!).
Well...csh handles all that stuff so I implemented my system function to
invoke "csh -c" followed by the rest of the arguments.  That sort of
worked...except that csh has a default _path variable set up which doesn't
include *any* of the things I have in my normal path!  So I modified
csh to go into Amigados and construct it's _path variable using Amigados's
path and added a new internal command named "path" which sets both csh's
path variable and Amigados's path.  Things are now working fine...BUT things
would sure have been easier if a child spawned by csh inherited a copy of
it's environment!!

Steve and/or Matt ... while adding real pipes and all those other goodies
I'm sure you are working on <grin> you might give some thought to adding
some way for a child process to inherit csh's environment!  If there is
any interest, I will post the diffs for my rather trivial path mods.
--
Rick Schaeffer          UUCP:  uunet!iscuva!ricks
ISC Systems Corp.              ricks@iscuva.ISCS.COM

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer) (08/18/88)

In article <8808180107.AA05574@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
=-
=-	Actually, the standard AMIGA way of doing 'parent directory' is a
=-single slash, which I find much easier than having to type '..' all the time:
=-
	Agreed, but there are some arguments for using '..':  One, many are
used to it; two, it might be nice to reserve '/' for a shell that allows you to
specify a virtual root whose subdirectories are all your actual storage
devices, like dh0:, vd0:, df0:, etc.  I.e., a full path would be /dh0/...
This would get rid of the 'rename across devices' annoyance, which I currently
circumvent with the following alias:

#mv between devices (does not handle a file named "-end")
alias dmv "%f set s \"\"; set dest \"\"; foreach c ( $f -end ) \"if $c <> -end; set r $s; set s $s $c; endif\"; cp -r $s; rm -r $r"

=-	Un fortunetly, there is a bug in my shell (fixed soon) when you
=-	give a relative path for the destination directory that begins with
=-	a '/'.
=-
	You wanna talk bugs, try this:

	>>set $ foo
	>>echo $
	foo
	>>set $foo bar
	>>echo $foo
	$foo
	>>echo $
	bar		[yes, really!!]

=-	Unfortunetly, the real CSH is copyrighted.  If I were to port the
=-source it my be a breach of contract with the university.

	Yeah, wherefore I included the smiley.

/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
_No dark sarcasm in the classroom|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|___
|____Teachers leave the kids alone__|_____|_____|_____|_bryan@cs.utexas.edu___|
___|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|{ihnp4,seismo,...}!cs.utexas.edu!bryan_
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

>Steve and/or Matt ... while adding real pipes and all those other goodies
>I'm sure you are working on <grin> you might give some thought to adding
>some way for a child process to inherit csh's environment!  If there is
>any interest, I will post the diffs for my rather trivial path mods.

	The next release of my particular version (really!  soon now!) uses
the CLI's path as well as _path ... thus, automatic inheritance of the path.
In terms of enviroment variables, I'm adding support for the 1.3 ENV: device
(which is really just a directory assign for 1.3)... this is a global
Mechanism.

	Pipes are another matter.  Bill Hawes has got *real* concurrent
pipes working in his Commercial WShell, but my shell will probably not have
it until an easy way to spawn generic processes is found.

					-Matt

sterling@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Sterling QA) (08/18/88)

In article <5126@husc6.harvard.edu> wen@husc4.UUCP (A. Wen) writes:
> In article <215@mango.athertn.Atherton.COM> ericb@mango.UUCP (Eric Black) writes:
> >	'#' is "pound" [Stanford types sometimes use "hash", I'm an MIT type]
>
> 	We've always called it "sharp;" I suspect that "pound" is a by-product
> 	of the fact that the British pound sign is often on the same key

        I've always called it a quadraplex(us) ;-)

   Rick Sterling             COMMODORE AMIGA TEST ENGINEERING
  // /_ |\/||/_ /_           UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!sterling
\X/ /  \|  ||\//  \          PHONE 215-431-9275
    Everybody likes hard work ... especially when THEY'RE paying for it.

brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) (08/18/88)

In article <8808162044.AA29370@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
+
+:In article <215@mango.athertn.Atherton.COM> ericb@mango.UUCP (Eric Black) writes:
+:>	'#' is "pound" [Stanford types sometimes use "hash", I'm an MIT type]
+:
+:	We've always called it "sharp;"
+
+	I always say HASH and I'm from Berkeley
+
+:>	'~' is "squiggle" [some folks don't know whether "tilde" is '~' or '^']
+:
+:	Doesn't anyone else in the world call it a "twiddle?"

Had a professor from germany (hi deitmar if you read this) who called
it twiddle.  as far as the '#' it is hash to me. But I'm from Santa Cruz.

Oh, for people who don't know, if you change the '>' at the beginning of
the line in a follow up message to something else, you don't need to
add line filler.

thanks
--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brian Moffet	brianm@sco.com  {ucscc,uunet,decvax!microsof}!sco!brianm

:	You wanna talk bugs, try this:
:
:	>>set $ foo
:	>>echo $
:	foo
:	>>set $foo bar
:	>>echo $foo
:	$foo
:	>>echo $
:	bar		[yes, really!!]

	Silly, that's  "set foo bar", NOT "set $foo bar".  But there is
some other strangeness in the above as well.

				-Matt

charles@hpcvca.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (08/19/88)

> Old hackers have similarly pronounceable names for most punctuation.
> Here are some that I use myself in spoken conversation:
> --
> Eric Black	"Garbage in, Gospel out"

Nice list!  Here is a couple more I have run into (and now use):
	'('	paren
	')'	un-paren
--
Charles Brown

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (08/19/88)

In article <4511@cbmvax.UUCP> sterling@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Sterling QA) writes:
}In article <5126@husc6.harvard.edu> wen@husc4.UUCP (A. Wen) writes:
}> In article <215@mango.athertn.Atherton.COM> ericb@mango.UUCP (Eric Black) writes:
}> >	'#' is "pound" [Stanford types sometimes use "hash", I'm an MIT type]
}>
}> 	We've always called it "sharp;" I suspect that "pound" is a by-product
}> 	of the fact that the British pound sign is often on the same key
}
}        I've always called it a quadraplex(us) ;-)

  I hesitate to string this one on, but (a) the '#' has no official "name" as
  far as we were able to tell ("official" like 'caret' or 'colon' or
  'ampersand', etc), and (b) the Phone Company's name for the char on the key
  in the lower-right-corner of a keypad is "octothorp".  As far as we could
  tell, they just invented this term out of whole cloth.  Dunno what they call
  the char in the lower-left-corner (surely "star" or "asterisk" is too easy,
  if you're going to coin "octothorp" for the other corner)

   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Sys & Tech, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (08/19/88)

In article <4511@cbmvax.UUCP> sterling@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Sterling QA) writes:
>In article <5126@husc6.harvard.edu> wen@husc4.UUCP (A. Wen) writes:
>> In article <215@mango.athertn.Atherton.COM> ericb@mango.UUCP (Eric Black) writes:
>> >	'#' is "pound" [Stanford types sometimes use "hash", I'm an MIT type]
>
>        I've always called it a quadraplex(us) ;-)

Naah.. I thought everybody knew that the "#" symbol is an octothorpe.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

	.		.		(In Real Life: Mike Ditto)
.	    :	       ,		ford@kenobi.cts.com
This space under construction,		...!ucsd!elgar!ford
pardon our dust.			ditto@cbmvax.commodore.com

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (08/19/88)

In article <3177@cs.utexas.edu>, bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer)
	writes:
> In other words, just port csh, minus all the process control stuff :-)

Nahh... port ksh.

Actually, from reading the Unix Toolchest copyright agreement, it seems to
me that there's nothing stopping some enterprising soul from doing this
and selling the sucker, so long as they didn't try to ship the sources.
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (08/19/88)

In article <1877@iscuva.ISCS.COM>, ricks@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Rick Schaeffer)
	writes:
> Most importantly, a shell spawned by CSH should inherit
> it's parents environment.

The problem is that for CLI programs there isn't a clear definition of what
that environment is, in fact there isn't even a clear distinction between
a program and it's parent. Normally a CLI program is run in the process
context of the CLI...

Takes me back to the problems I had with bad old VMS. This is even worse, since
at least VMS has the excuse that creating a new process is an expensive
proposition.
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

will@fredonia.UUCP (James A. Will) (08/19/88)

Anyone who has attended a Jim Butterfield machine language class knows
that the # is an octathorpe!

perley@mazda.steinmetz (Donald P Perley) (08/19/88)

How about a little discussion of the subject line?

I think the # of names for '#' has been pounded to death.  It
is starting to tick me off.

jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) (08/21/88)

> How about a little discussion of the subject line?

Hear, hear! yall know how to edit subject lines, don't you?
(count the punctuation in that sentence :-)

> I think the # of names for '#' has been pounded to death.  It
> is starting to tick me off.
                 ^^^^^

Yea, its back ticking me off too.