[comp.sys.amiga] Problems with Fast File System

space@altger.UUCP (Lars Soltau) (08/14/88)

When  C=A  released the  Fast File System I thought  that we  got rid of one
major disadvantage of the Amiga:  the original file  system is unbearable on
floppies and most annoying on a hard disk.  After some  unsuccessful tries I
discovered  that  FFS  only works  with  handmounted  partitions.  I  *hate*
partitions.  I don't  see the  need  to  split a  hard disk into two logical
devices.  So I  installed a  new partition HD0:,  starting on track 2.  This
way I would lose no HD space on a slow partition, and if I never referred to
DH0: again, everything shoulda worked fine.

  Then the first troubles  started.  The Dillon Shell was unable to call Run
anymore.  wKeys didn't recognize the left shift key if its handler is called
from FFS.  And now I discovered that  if I download files with Drew/Wecker's
VT100,  zoo won't  read its archives,  programs won't  get started  ("not an
object module")  and so on.  I copied  the rejected files to RAM: and voila:
programs ran, zoo extracted.  I am at a point where I nearly reinstalled the
old file system again.  Does anyone know how to get rid of  these incompati-
bilities?  And no, I don't want to copy Run to RAM:  and call it from there.
That's no general solution.

--
Lars Soltau		uucp: uunet!mcvax!unido!altger!space
Tapachstr. 95

In article <909@altger.UUCP> space@altger.UUCP (Lars Soltau) writes:
> When  C=A  released the  Fast File System I thought...
> Does anyone know how to get rid of  these incompatibilities?
> Lars Soltau		uucp: uunet!mcvax!unido!altger!space

Sheesh, sometimes I really wonder about people. First off, C-A has
*NOT* released the Fast File System. And that means you are running
prerelease Beta, Gamma, or Omega software and (no suprise) it still
has some bugs in it! Do you folks who run illegal copies of 1.3 think
that Commodore is just sitting there keeping this wonderful software
under wraps to make your life miserable? *NO!* The damn stuff has bugs
in it, that's right, big honker bugs that can wipe out entire hard disks
and zap innocent memory locations! And this is not unexpected because
it *ISN'T* released. You want to impress you friends by moving into an
apartment where the building isn't even completed yet? Are you suprised
when some bricks fall through the roof that hasn't been installed ? Be
reasonable, it is stupid to use this stuff unless
	a) You are a developer and are looking for bugs for C/A and know
	   the risks and report the problems along the appropriate channels.
	b) You are a developer and your application relies on some new
	   feature of 1.3 and you want to release when 1.3 comes out and
	   you report the problems along the appropriate channels.

Otherwise it's just plain dumb, and lots of things will break like Lars
found out. The bugs you mention have been fixed, some of the earlier ones
were even more spectacular, but the fact of the matter is. WAIT FOR IT TO
BE FINISHED, then bitch about it. In the mean time make *lots* of backups
'cuz it can toast your cookies.

--Chuck McManis

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (08/17/88)

Ok... I have a question.... what is THE latest Pre-release version of
1.3..... is it 1.3 Omega 6?????

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (08/19/88)

In article <8198@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:

> Ok... I have a question.... what is THE latest Pre-release version of
> 1.3..... is it 1.3 Omega 6?????
>
>           - Doug -
>
>  Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

A CATS person should really answer this but let's see if I can be of
help.  The correct answer is, "Since only DEVELOPERS have pre-release
software simply contact Commodore through the channels that your
DEVELOPER KIT tells you and Commodore will be happy to supply you with
any information that you need."

Do I win a prize?  (Most obnoxious post of the month?  Sorry, I'm on
edge this week, big project deadline this week... you know what it's like.)

See you all at the JAUG meeting tomorrow!

Tom
--
       Tom Limoncelli -- Drew University, Box 1060, Madison, NJ 07940
  TLimonce@Drew.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net -- VoiceMail (201)408-5389

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (08/20/88)

In Message <8198@cup.portal.com>, Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:

>Ok... I have a question.... what is THE latest Pre-release version of
>1.3..... is it 1.3 Omega 6?????

 Not sure why this is important, but its Omega 7 (at least that the latest that
 I have).

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein     {alegra|amiga|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
 Sneakers Computing

 Of course heimat is an Amiga, doesn't everyone run UUCP & UseNet on an Amiga?

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (J. Dow) (08/21/88)

In article <8198@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>Ok... I have a question.... what is THE latest Pre-release version of
>1.3..... is it 1.3 Omega 6?????
>
>          - Doug -
>
> Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

The latest version as downloaded from BIX last night (just after carolyn's
upload) is in the o9updat1.arc file in the commercial developers listings
area.

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and					quit playing with dragons and knights.