[comp.sys.amiga] Request on GOMF button

cheung@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Wilson Cheung) (08/19/88)

	Has anyone tried out GOMF button.  From the advertisement in
Amazing Computing it sounds like the ultimate in bullet-proofing the
Amiga Operating System.

				Wilson Cheung

In article <1817@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU> (Wilson Cheung) writes:
>	Has anyone tried out GOMF button.  From the advertisement in
>Amazing Computing it sounds like the ultimate in bullet-proofing the
>Amiga Operating System.
>				Wilson Cheung

GOMF doesn't change anything. It does let you "recover" from otherwise
dead end situations, however it is more useful as a tool to find out just
why you want to reboot after a GURU. Use it, it works, I guarantee you that
if you have to use it a lot (like during program development) you will be
sorry you did. Simply because it works enough times that you will come to
depend on it and then it will fail and you will be _really_ pissed.

--Chuck McManis

srp@modcomp.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) (08/23/88)

in article <1817@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU>, cheung@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Wilson Cheung) says:
> 	Has anyone tried out GOMF button.  From the advertisement in
> Amazing Computing it sounds like the ultimate in bullet-proofing the
> Amiga Operating System.
> 				Wilson Cheung

I assume you read about that in the article I wrote on the RGB show in
the current issue of AC.  (If not, ignore the rest of this)  :-)
(The article mentioned a new hardware GOMF device, with a button you could
press to save you from a pending guru).

I don't think it's been released yet.  The device they were showing at the
RGB Productions show was "in beta".  Interesting thing about that GOMF 3.0
device is that it wasn't apparent to me where the heck the button would go.
The person I asked about it said you would probably have to drill a hole in
your Amiga's case.  (!)

Steve Pietrowicz
USENET: ...!uunet!modcomp!srp
PLINK: CBM*STEVE