[comp.sys.amiga] The Amiga is loosing

elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) (08/14/88)

In message <2160@ssc-vax.UUCP>, dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) says:
>  However, the fact remains that the Amiga is loosing ground.  The huge
>gap (technically speaking) between the Amiga and "the rest" is closing.

The only thing looking sad are the graphics, which were great compared
to Mac or  EGA, but compared to VGA or Mac II(8-bit)....

The Amiga still does better animations. But people with an AT-clone or
a Mac II don't buy their computer to do animations. They do desktop
publishing, or CAD, or any number of things for which the Amiga
display is a limitation...

--
Eric Lee Green    ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg
          Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509

jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) (08/19/88)

In article <2160@ssc-vax.UUCP>, dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:

> 1)  Mac II is made by Apple.
> 2)  Because of 1) alone, it can be expected to do quite well.

Now, wait a minute, we as users (and the free fanatical advertisers
for CBM) have a great say in the future of the Amiga. After all
Apple went through the same rough time introducing their "new"
OS and it finally caught on. We ought to be able to do the same.

Commodore has two ways to go, either really goose up the desk top
video stuff so that the Amiga N000 isn't really useful to hacker
types (except for video hackers) or go complete compatability with
IBM _and_ MAC. Business types (and me too for that matter) like to
be able to use their old hardware and not have much hassle with
compatibility issues.

Let's face facts Amiga is cheap compared to these other systems, its
graphics are quite good, but IBM with proper HW and MAC II are better
in some areas. Amigas networking with MAC II's for a good cheap graphic
environment would be ideal for some applications.

	This space would have been	|	Mike Davis
	LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK	|	ihnp4!ihlpm!jmdavis
	had I not written in it. 	|_________________________

In article <2247@ihlpm.ATT.COM> jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) writes:
.Let's face facts Amiga is cheap compared to these other systems, its
.graphics are quite good, but IBM with proper HW and MAC II are better
.in some areas. Amigas networking with MAC II's for a good cheap graphic
.environment would be ideal for some applications.

One of the nicest things about the Amiga is that it wasn't designed to
carry 5 years worth of single-tasking HISTORY around with it, and it
uses a processor that isn't carrying 5 GENERATIONS of backward
compatibility around with it.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170