[comp.sys.amiga] Shell requests

edwin@hcr.UUCP (Edwin Hoogerbeets) (08/19/88)

In article <1877@iscuva.ISCS.COM> ricks@iscuva.UUCP writes:
[funky stuff deleted]
>Steve and/or Matt ... while adding real pipes and all those other goodies
 ^^^^^        ^^^^
Or Johan...

>I'm sure you are working on <grin> you might give some thought to adding
>some way for a child process to inherit csh's environment!  If there is
>any interest, I will post the diffs for my rather trivial path mods.

Your idea about the system() call sounds quite interesting! I'd be
interested in seeing/using it when you are done.

Comment: If the shell were to be changed to inherit the environment,
please use Manx "set" style environment vars. (sounds like a type of
yoghourt, eh?) I think this is what they are going to be using in 1.3 and
1.4 and this would be an easy way of exporting the environment while
remaining upwardly compatible.

------ --------- = -------------------------------------------
Edwin (Deepthot)                      Waterloo co-op student, HCR Corporation
Hoogerbeets		                   2A computer science and psychology
uunet!utai!utcsri!hcr!edwin                                  Me Tarzan, Unix.
                  edwin@hcr         //           Freudian slips? This message
or:                                //               contains no Freudian sex.
...!hcr!MsgPort!edwin          \\ //   Amiga             Everyone is entitled
A B2000 running UUPC            \X/  Enthusiast            to my own opinion!

In article <3816@hcr.UUCP> edwin@hcrvax.UUCP (Edwin Hoogerbeets) writes:

>Comment: If the shell were to be changed to inherit the environment,
>please use Manx "set" style environment vars. (sounds like a type of
>yoghourt, eh?) I think this is what they are going to be using in 1.3 and
>1.4 and this would be an easy way of exporting the environment while
>remaining upwardly compatible.

	Just to correct a misconception, Manx env vars are NOT compatible
with 1.3 ENV: vars.  1.3 Env vars are stored in a filesystem, usually
ram:, but it could be assigned anywhere.  To access and env var, merely
do an Open("Env:varname",MODE_OLDFILE) and if it exists read it in.

	The Manx env vars are stored in a fake library (no entry points,
just a placeholder so it can be found), with a pointer to a contiguous
block of memory storing all the env vars.  Any time a var is changed or added,
it has to allocate a new hunk of memory for all the vars, make a new list
of them, and free the old one.

	Jim Goodnow may be modifying Manx C to allow use of 1.3 env vars
(I'd be suprised if he didn't).

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) (08/23/88)

In article <3816@hcr.UUCP> edwin@hcrvax.UUCP (Edwin Hoogerbeets) writes:
>Comment: If the shell were to be changed to inherit the environment,
>please use Manx "set" style environment vars. (sounds like a type of
>yoghourt, eh?) I think this is what they are going to be using in 1.3 and
>1.4 and this would be an easy way of exporting the environment while
>remaining upwardly compatible.
Um, no.  1.3 uses a totally different method.  They have an ENV: device
which for now is just a logical Assign to a directory.  Each variable
is a file, with a name of the environment variable.  Since environment
variables are files, think of the info that could be stored in them!
much more versitile than normal Manx/Arp style variables.  One could
write a program that could look at the manx style variables and convert
them to 1.3 style ones and visa versa.  It could run once every 10
seconds or so...

BTW, I have a shared functions library that has 1.3 compatible getenv
and setenv among other things.  As soon as I get the bugs out I will be
making it available.  It has bindings for both compilers.

--
------  Walter Reed  ------   + uunet!ndsuvax!ncreed or ncreed@ndsuvax.BITNET
"There's no point in being    +      or ncreed@plains.NoDak.edu