[comp.sys.amiga] Perfect Sound for the 1000

steelie@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Jim Howard) (02/27/88)

I just got my Perfect Sound digitizer(from SunRize) and Im having a
bit of difficulty to say the least.

I have my both channels of my stereo hooked up to the RCA inputs
on the digitizer, have everything plugged in correctly, e.t.c.

I can record and monitor ONLY in stereo, it wont let me just monitor
one channel. When I select monitor or record for only one channel,
I get *NOTHING* at all. Just blank nothing. All the gain knobs are
turned up full blast, and still nothing at all. Im using v 2.2 of the
Perfect Sound software.   There are no shorts in my RCA cables, they
are exactly fine. I even re-did all the wiring onto a completly different
stereo and the same thing happened once again.

Is there anything that can be done? I called SunRize and they were
at a loss to what the problem was. "Send it back" they said.  Sounds
nice enough of them, and thats probably what I'll do, but Id rather
just keep this one, and not have to wait for a replacement.

Techies out there?

"Great intelligence is usually characterized by a natural lack of
comprehension of life."  -Henri Bergson

   UUCP:  ....!crash!pro-charlotte!steelie    | Pro-Charlotte - (704) 567-0029
   ARPA:  crash!pro-charlotte!steelie@nosc.mil| 300/1200/2400 baud  24 hrs/day
   INET:  steelie@pro-charlotte.cts.com       | Log in as "register"

steelie@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Jim Howard) (08/19/88)

 koster@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David Ashley)  writes:

>I recently bought the A1000 version of the perfectsound audio digitizer.
>There is a terrible problem with it. Even when I ground the inputs, if I
>turn the gain all the way up I get noise. Also everything I sample sounds
>muffled. And even with the gain turned down and the inputs are grounded,
>the sample is going between 00,FF,and 01 I think. Has anyone else had
problems
>with their PerfectSound? Perhaps this is an inherent design flaw.

  Aha! You too eh?  I bought the 1000 version of perfect sound,
and had the EXACT same problems as you. The noise was so bad that
any decent samples were impossible. Even monitoring at full sample
rate was un-intelligible(sp?)..

 I sent it back to Sunrize industries, and they sent me a new one.
It did the EXACT same thing.. So I took my amiga in to a local dealer,
and he grounded a chip (cant remember which one) and he said that
would fix it.. It STILL did the same thing.

 Getting really annoyed, I took the digitizer over to a friend who
had an amiga 1000 also. I tried it on his machine.. *NOISE*, noise,
and more noise.. it did the exact same thing.. I called back
the perfect sound people, (long distance, of course) and they
suggested I try using the new 500/2000 digitizer with their special
adaptor cable.. So I did, and it did the same thing.  I tried it on
yet ANOTHER friend's amiga 1000, and it STILL had noise..

 Luckily, I managed to sell the 500/2000 version to a friend of mine,
with a amiga 500.. It works PERFECTLY on his machine.  I dont know
if this was just terribly bad luck on my part, or what.. Any info
you manage to dig up I would appreciate it if you would forward it
to me.

mark@xrtll.UUCP (Mark Vange) (08/20/88)

In article <3334@crash.cts.com>, steelie@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Jim Howard) writes:

>  koster@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David Ashley)  writes:
>
> >I recently bought the A1000 version of the perfectsound audio digitizer.
> >There is a terrible problem with it. Even when I ground the inputs, if I
> >turn the gain all the way up I get noise. Also everything I sample sounds
> >muffled.

This, contrary to popular belief, is not a design error.  I have a Perfect
Sound for both the 1000 and the 2000/500, and while the latter gives
slightly better results, both work quite well, and do not exhibit any of the
the problems  that Jim or David describe.

I realize that this is probably small consolation if your unit is not
working as you expected it too, but the fault is not in the manufacture
either.  In fact, I suspect that the fault for much of the digitizing
equipment out there not working on one machine or another, is the
inconsistencies inherent in this mass-produced machine.  Any hardware
developers out there care to comment on this?

edds@sas.UUCP (Tom Edds) (08/23/88)

 (..)

In some earlier articles, two people talked about having troubles with the
A1000 Perfect Sound digitizer. Just thought I'd mention that I got one
several months ago, and it's worked great from the time I pulled it out of
the box. You can digitize stereo, too, which I've found to be real handy
when you want to use stereo music in your applications.

Somebody griped about the Psound software, too, so let me throw in a quick
note about that. True, Psound is not as chock full of features as
AudioMaster, but it's essentially given away with the digitizer.

SunRize has let this be shareware, so that you could get software to work (or
play!) with digitized sounds without shelling out big $$ for their hardware.
This is the kind of generous gesture that helped get the Amiga off the ground!
Sure, they could include something like AudioMaster with the digitizer, but
then they'd have to raise the price of the digitizer to justify including the
software.

I'd prefer they keep the hardware as accessible (read: inexpensive)
as possible.

Tom Edds       edds@sas

     "go ahead. make my twenty-four hour time period."  G. Bush