[comp.sys.amiga] Will Xenix Run on AT BridgeBoard?

brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) (08/21/88)

In article <65003@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <782@viscous> brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) writes:
>> Therefore, using SCO Xenix, which needs almost exact *hardware*
>> compatability with an AT, on the bridgeboard will not work.
>
>And this is where you are mistaken. The BridgeBoard is an *exact* PC
>clone on a board, right down to the DMA controller and Timer chips.

The DMA and timer chips are good, but how about all the other hardware?
AT type hard disk Controller on IRQ 14?  FLoppy drive on IRQ 6?
Same exact port addressing for the keyboard?  If it is exactly the
same (good move on CBM's part) then SCO Xenix should run.
However, I won't hold my breath.

I do not have an AT bridge board.  I assumed (possibly wrongly)
that Commodore would take the easy way out and have the video be
a direct match, and maybe the floppy, but there would be distinct
lacks as far as the keyboard and other hardware (serial ports)
were concerned.

If anyone in the Santa Cruz Area is interested in trying
this out, let me know.  I would be interested to see if SCO
Xenix actually worked on the Amiga 2000 with an AT bridgeboard.
--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brian Moffet	brianm@sco.com  {ucscc,uunet,decvax!microsof}!sco!brianm

pnelson@antares.UUCP (phil nelson) (08/23/88)

sort of related;

 I tried the latest release of Kermit for M*-DOS on my BridgeBoard(tm), no
dice, it didn't like the com port. (something about the com3 interrupt?).
Also, I still can't use my jh0: concurrently with any BridgeBoard(tm) - side
program that uses either the com1 port or the floppy. When any Amiga-DOS(tm)
program accesses the jh0:, I either lose chars on com1, or lose the floppy
transfer (you know - Abort, Retry, Ignore, Get a real OS? :-). Was this problem
ever identified as a bug? I finally gave up trying to get an answer (I didn't
know how to run usenet at the time, the phone calls and time were excessive).

--
{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!pnelson  | Contains one or more of the
OnTyme: QSATS.P/Nelson  POTS: (408)922-7508 | following: Pleas for help, Free