[comp.sys.amiga] Troubles with Lattice C, Part I: legal, licensing, upgrade

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) (08/20/88)

Greetings.  I recently purchased a used Amiga 1000 from a friend who moved up
to the 2000.  In a totally separate purchase, another friend and I "went in
together" on ANOTHER Amiga 1000 with software; this friend kept the computer
(I had MINE already) and we "divvied up" the software.

As part of this deal, I wound up with an original copy of Lattice C, v3.03.
I'd like to contact Lattice about upgrading to v4.0 as I hear is possible, but
I would like first to know if I'm going to have trouble vis-a-vis "official"
or "real" ownership.  As I understand it, purchasing the package implies or
grants (I'm not legalistic, that's why I'm writing here) the purchaser a li-
cense to use the package on ONE machine.  Does this imply serial-number speci-
ficity, or just single-station use on ANY ONE machine?  The problem of course
is that I have, and plan to use, the SOFTWARE, whereas someone else (my friend)
has the actual machine for which this package was originally purchased.  I
need to know if I'm "in the clear" before calling and getting tangled up with
the Powers That Be.  Can anyone clarify this for me?  Is there anything else
I've overlooked, or can STOP WORRYING about?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Chiesa
  recent graduate, Ball State University, CS Dept.

--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (08/23/88)

In article <3706@bsu-cs.UUCP>, cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) writes:

> to the 2000.  In a totally separate purchase, another friend and I "went in
> together" on ANOTHER Amiga 1000 with software; this friend kept the computer
> (I had MINE already) and we "divvied up" the software.
>
> As part of this deal, I wound up with an original copy of Lattice C, v3.03.
> license to use the package on ONE machine.

Many manufacturers seem to be writing their licenses to state that it can
be used on only one machine at any one time.  This implies that you are
the licensee, not the machine, and if you carry it from home to work
and back for example, as long as it is actively in use at only one place
at one time you should be ok.  I am not aware of whether or not Lattice
interprets it that way, but I see no reason why not.  One presumes that
your friend did not keep any copies of the compiler software, so the
package owner mayhaps is the license owner as well.  If he did indeed
register the package to him, he should (might) have an update card
that goes along with it.  Lattice started this with 3.04 I think and
to get updates, you have to send the card in each time.  I have cycled
my own card twice, once for 3.10 and another time for 4.0.  If you don't
have the card, they'll ask for $50.00 to produce a new one to match
the serial number of your compiler disk.  This may also be true for
a case of change of ownership, such as yours, though it may be possible
that a nice letter to them perhaps also signed by your friend, could
be used to transfer the ownership and they'd tell you how much to
upgrade to the latest version (4.02 I guess).  Prolly neighborhood
of $75-$125, and prolly that'd include the good old update card
for the next round.  Lotsa guesswork here, but they were good to me,
so I'd say try to deal with 'em.

Rob Peck

dbk@whutt.UUCP (PFENDER) (08/24/88)

This is a quick summary of what I found out, since there appear to be others
out there who have a similar problem to solve.  Thank you to all who wrote,
both on the net and through e-mail.  If I get a chance I'll try to reply to
your individual replies.

This was the problem.  Take files generated by an Amiga word-processing pro-
gram and print them on an Apple Laserwriter that was hooked into a Macintosh
cluster (Appl*talk).  I had assumed that one would not want to madden the
users of the Macintosh cluster by temporarily disconnecting the printer from
the net and reconnecting it to one's Amiga (which one would have bodily trans-
ported to the Macintosh cluster), but this would indeed be the simplest
solution, assuming you had the proper cables to connect your Amiga to the
RS232 port on the printer.

The solution I looked for ran like this:

	Generate a postscript file from your text file.  Some word proces-
sors like Excellence and WordPerfect seem to be capable of this directly
simply by redirecting the output from PAR: or SER: to a FILE.  For other
word processors, it may be necessary to modify the printer driver so that
it prints to a FILE, while to the word processor, it still looks like print-
ing is going on.  Although this is certainly possible, I did not collect
much detail in this department.

	The next step, once the postscript file has been generated, is to
transfer the file to the Macintosh cluster, presumably by uploading it to
an intermediate machine and then to the Mac cluster, or directly to the
Mac cluster.

	Once the file has been received by a Macintosh in the cluster, and
saved on disk, it can be dumped over the Appl*talk network to the Laser-
writer using a program such as SendPS 1.21 or PSDump (?).  And there you
have it.

While several people admitted to using a scheme akin to this one, and to
being perfectly happy with it, others pointed out that this involves a lot
of hacking.  (Simply following the steps outlined here will probably NOT
suffice.)  Furthermore, the commercial programs for the Macintosh (word
processing and drafting, though perhaps not painting) tend to be more
capable, dependable and smoother-working.  Therefore, whatever the lure of
the Amiga, if you need a dependable, works-right-out-of-the-box system,
this is not the way to do it.

Comments are welcome.  Please, however, direct religious comments comparing
any facet of the Mac/Amiga systems to another series (such as Mac II bashing).

These opinions and "fax" are my own.  My employers are in no way responble for
me!

|--------------------Insert time-consuming, masterful-------------------------|
			     signature here

			     (David Knudsen)