[comp.sys.amiga] Introductory Posting

edwin@hcr.UUCP (Edwin Hoogerbeets) (08/09/88)

Hi,

I've started putting together the "intro posting" for comp.sys.amiga*

Here is a draft of the header as it is so far:

***START INCLUDED FILE***

This is an introductory posting to comp.sys.amiga. If you are a new
reader of this group or even if you just want Amiga/Usenet information,
please read the following articles. It is recommended that you save this
article for future reference. We hope that you refer to this article
first before posting to the net. This helps keep the comp.sys.amiga*
uncluttered with topics that have already been discussed.

In rn type:
s newuser <return>
to save this article in the file News/newuser.

This article contains the following topics and their author[s]:

NOV   Questions and Answers about starting to program the Amiga in C.
        cmcmanis@pepper
	edwin@hcr.UUCP
FTP   A list of locations from which you may ftp amiga files.
        leh@beach.cis.ufl.edu.UUCP
        LUSIANI@CERNVM.BITNET.UUCP
        page@ulowell.UUCP
PIC   How to get and send Amiga graphic pictures and related 'show'
      programs.
        joe@dayton.UUCP
WED   Address of the Wedge people.
        stan@teroach.UUCP
MOT   Discussion of the 4.3 vs. 4.4 B2000 motherboard.
        daveh@cbmvax.UUCP
MOU   Help with Mountlist entries.
        kjohn@richp1.UUCP
REE   How to do re-entrant C code in Lattice and Manx.
        carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP
        dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP
FFS   Answers to questions about the Fast File System.
        cmcmanis@pepper.UUCP
TEC   How to get the Technical Reference Manual for the 500/2000 from
      Commodore.
        bill@cbmvax.UUCP

to read any of the above topics, type 'g' for 'go to' and the three
letter index identifier in capitals that is listed on the left.

***END INCLUDED FILE

Do you have anything you want to add? Are you listed above and have
objections to your article or just your .sig being included?
Do you have any objections/suggestions about the above header? (wedge
address inclusion maybe?)

Things I would like to hear from people about:

How to post to comp.{sources|binaries}.amiga
How to get Fish disks
How to save articles/search for keys in news software other than rn.
Any topic you think has been hashed to death.

I have tried to edit the articles down while keeping the main gist to
conserve space.

Please send me email on this, and I can post version 1.0 in Sept.

Thanks,

------ --------- = -------------------------------------------
Edwin (Deepthot)                      Waterloo co-op student, HCR Corporation
Hoogerbeets		                   2A computer science and psychology
uunet!utai!utcsri!hcr!edwin                                  Me Tarzan, Unix.
                  edwin@hcr         //           Freudian slips? This message
or:                                //               contains no Freudian sex.
...!hcr!MsgPort!edwin          \\ //   Amiga        Glider pilots are experts
A B2000 running UUPC            \X/  Enthusiast             at keeping it up!

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (08/12/88)

In article <8551@swan.ulowell.edu>, page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>   uunet.uu.net:amiga/sources [192.112.141.129]	alt.amiga archive
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, that's "amiga-sources".
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

charles@hpcvca.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (08/18/88)

I AM POSTING THIS BECAUSE I WAS UNABLE TO MAIL IT TO ERWIN'S ADDRESS.

To: erwin@hcr
Subject: intro posting

I am not sure what you are doing with rn.  I will guess that you are
simply selecting a notes string within a notes category.  The notes
screen looks like

			comp.sys.amiga
8/10/88	 56 Efficient RAM usage for hard-disk-le	2 acphssrw@csuna.UUCP
	 57 Introductory Posting			2 edwin@hcr.UUCP
	 58 how to improve sound capabilities		3 carli@munich.dec.com
etc.

comp.sys.amiga is the "notes category" or "notes file".  The date of
the posting is to the far left.  The sequence number of the posting is
next followed by the title of the "notes string".  In the example
(partial screen) I have shown, there are 2, 2, and 3 responses
respectively.  You posted the basenote 57.  If I want to look at it
directly, I type "56<return>".  From there, I can look at the
directly to a particular response by typing the number of that
response.  From your basenote or any of the responses, I can type "J"
to read the next basenote.  I can move to a previous note using "-".
Typing "q" will exit comp.sys.amiga.  It will then go to the next
notes category in the list I have selected.  If I want to go to
another notes category which I did not select when I envoked notes, I
can type "ncomp.sources.amiga<return>".

I hope this makes it more clear.
	Charles Brown		charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com

edwin@hcr.UUCP (Edwin Hoogerbeets) (08/22/88)

In article <5660005@hpcvca.HP.COM> charles@hpcvca.UUCP writes:
>I AM POSTING THIS BECAUSE I WAS UNABLE TO MAIL IT TO ERWIN'S ADDRESS.
>To: erwin@hcr
>Subject: intro posting

This is because I usually go by the name edwin. ;-)

>I am not sure what you are doing with rn.  I will guess that you are
>simply selecting a notes string within a notes category.

Thanks for the reply. What I actually meant was this:

I want to search for a string within an individual posting itself. In
rn, you use 'g fixed_string' to find this string once you have accessed
comp.sys.amiga and are already reading the introductory posting.

I am assuming that the user can only read my article (or posting) if he
knows how to access the newsgroup (or notes file) 'comp.sys.amiga', and
thus it would be pointless to tell him (or her ;-) how to gain access
in the posting itself.

I also wanted to know how to save an article or posting in your disk
space or home directory (or whatever) for future reference.

Sorry if I was not clear on this. I posted this message, because I want
to encourage other people to mail me if they use a different news reader
and know how to do the above things. (or know that it isn't possible)
Please mail me!

Edwin
uunet!utai!utcsri!hcr!edwin

detert@lognet2.arpa (CMS David K. Detert) (08/24/88)

I tried the instructions referenced in subject posting for saving articles
using rn.  Needless to say, I am having a problem.  When I get to the point
where it asks if I want to read MORE, I enter 's' and it immediately takes
me to the end of the article.  I then finish the save command by giving it
a destination filename (test.txt, or something).  It then says the save to
directory cannot be found and says it will save to my home directory.  It
asks if I want to use mail format.  I tried both 'y' and 'n' to this and
it comes back saying it saved the article in file such and such.  When I 'cat'
the file tho', all that's there is a line or more of addressing stuff and then
a line 'Article 13534 of comp.sys.amiga'.  That's it, nothing close to the
contents of the article.  BTW. I tried this several times before subject
posting, but I figured I must have been doing something wrong.  Thought I'd
try once more since the posting said that was the way to do it.  Any thoughts
on what my problem{(besides not knowing what the h*ll I'm doing) might be?
Any and all E-MAIL help would be appreciated.  If I weren't a 1000 miles
>from the host site, I'd go down the hall and ask someone.  Please bear with
me.  Regards, Dave

ARPANet:  detert <at> lognet2.arpa