[comp.sys.amiga] 6502 cross assembler for the AMIGA

leblanc@godzilla.ele.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) (07/20/88)

[line eater food]

	I am trying to find a 6502 cross assembler for the Amiga.  I think
there may have been one released as part of a TRANSACTOR Amiga disk.  Does
anybody know anything about this?  I am presently using an assembler for the
C-128, but I have reached the limits of what this assembler can handle (Power
Assembler 128).  Can anybody suggest a cross assembler?  It is very important
that the source be available so that I can add any features that may be
missing.
	Any suggestions would be appreciated.

  Marcel A. LeBlanc
  University of Toronto -- Toronto, Canada
  also: LMS Technologies Ltd, Fredericton, NB, Canada

CSNET:	leblanc@godzilla.ele.toronto.edu   CDNNET: <...>.toronto.cdn
UUCP:	{decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo,uw-beaver}!utcsri!godzilla.ele!leblanc
ARPA:	leblanc%godzilla.ele.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
BITNET:	leblanc@godzilla.ele.utoronto (may not work from all sites)

ecarroll@cs.tcd.ie (Right, I'm off...) (08/11/88)

In article <8807200303.AA08094@godzilla.ele.toronto.edu>, leblanc@godzilla.ele.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) writes:
> [line eater food]
>
> 	I am trying to find a 6502 cross assembler for the Amiga.  I think
> there may have been one released as part of a TRANSACTOR Amiga disk.  Does
> anybody know anything about this?  I am presently using an assembler for the
> C-128, but I have reached the limits of what this assembler can handle (Power
> Assembler 128).  Can anybody suggest a cross assembler?  It is very important
> that the source be available so that I can add any features that may be
> missing.
> 	Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>   Marcel A. LeBlanc
>   University of Toronto -- Toronto, Canada
>   also: LMS Technologies Ltd, Fredericton, NB, Canada
>
> CSNET:	leblanc@godzilla.ele.toronto.edu   CDNNET: <...>.toronto.cdn
> UUCP:	{decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo,uw-beaver}!utcsri!godzilla.ele!leblanc
> ARPA:	leblanc%godzilla.ele.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
> BITNET:	leblanc@godzilla.ele.utoronto (may not work from all sites)

Hi there,

This is my first posting to the net so I hope you manage to get this.

There is a 6502 cross assembler on Fish disk #92. I got it a few weeks
ago, and it seems to have all the basic stuff. It's written in C, and isn't
blindingly fast, but should be reasonable enough when run from RAM:. One
nice feature is that you can assemble directly to the parallel port, and
have a seperate (tiny) program running on the C64/128 which is taking
the executable code in through the user port and putting it into memory.
So, as soon as your code is finished assembling, it's ready for testing.
I had planned to port over a 10,000+ line assembly program I did on the
C64 (assembling something that big on a C64 is definitely not fun, even
with Dolphin DOS to help), when I redo it for the C128. I haven't got
around to it yet though.

From the documentation that comes with it, the assembler seems to be
a ported unix 6502 assembler, so you may already know of it.

Anyway, it's probably worth checking out.

Regards,
Eddy

[Signature? I've only just figured out how to POST stuff!]

devilbis@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Vilbiss Warren C De) (08/12/88)

In article <7215@cs.tcd.ie> ecarroll@cs.tcd.ie (Right, I'm off...) writes:
>In article <8807200303.AA08094@godzilla.ele.toronto.edu>, leblanc@godzilla.ele.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) writes:
>> 	I am trying to find a 6502 cross assembler for the Amiga.  I think
>>
>>   Marcel A. LeBlanc
>
>There is a 6502 cross assembler on Fish disk #92. I got it a few weeks
>
>Regards,
>Eddy

There's also a nice multi-processor cross assembler by Matt Dillon, called
DASM, that I'm pretty sure supports the 6502, as well as several Motorola
processors (6800, 6801, 68HC11, etc.).  I don't know if it ever made its way
to a Fish disk, but if you can FTP to ucbvax.berkeley.edu, you can get it
(it's in pub/amiga, in 3 separate files, dasm(1,2,3).shar).

Hope that helps!

  - Mike Shawaluk (a guest on Warren's account).

>        Do any of the Amiga assemblers support Cross Development?  This should
>only be a matter of new tables if the assmbler was correctly written.
>
>                                                                  Wade.

	Bull Shit new tables if the assembler was correctly written.  Do
you mean "Write in 6502 and produce 8086" ??? Or do you mean "Use a 6502
assembler on an 80x86 machine to produce 6502" ??? (for example).

				-Matt

phil@eos.UUCP (Phil Stone) (08/15/88)

In article <5186@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:
>In message <7215@cs.tcd.ie>, ecarroll@cs.tcd.ie (Right, I'm off...) says:
>>In article <8807200303.AA08094@godzilla.ele.toronto.edu>, leblanc@godzilla.ele.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) writes:
>>> 	I am trying to find a 6502 cross assembler for the Amiga.  I think
>The assembler you want is Matt Dillon's "DASM". Like all of Matt's
		( stuff deleted )

>A tiny note: getting the code from Amiga to C-64 is problematical. The
>best solution is Kermit at 1200 baud -- which, alas, is quite slow,
>even if it is very accurate.  Since you're probably dealing with
>EPROM, might want to get an RS232 EPROM programmer for your Amiga --
>DASM has an option to produce hex code feedable to RS232 programmers,
>as well as an option to produce C-64-style binaries (two-byte starting
>address, then the rest of the program).

Why go to all that trouble - use RS232 or, even better (faster, anyway)
use MIDI.  Admittedly, this takes small drivers on each end, but if you
are writing in assembly language, you probably have the chops.  If the
Amiga end is the problem, I've got a simple MIDI file-spitter utility that
might help.  Actually, I've got the C64-end code as well, so if anyone's
interested, I'll see what I can do.

I use this all the time to take Amiga sound samples, ship them to
the C64, and blow them on to EPROM with Jason-Ranheim's "Promenade" (much
cheaper than any RS232 programmer that I've seen).  I'm also planning to
do some 6502 assembly language work this way, using Matt's DASM.

With the growing ubiquity of MIDI, this is becoming a very handy way of
shipping binaries between machines - a bonus the music manufacturers
probably didn't forsee.

		Phil Stone
phil@eos.arc.nasa.gov  OR  phil@eos.UUCP
{ uunet, hplabs, hao, ihnp4, decwrl, allegra, tektronix } ames!eos!phil

ecarroll@cs.tcd.ie (Eddy Carroll) (08/18/88)

In article <6473@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, devilbis@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Vilbiss Warren C De) writes:
> In article <7215@cs.tcd.ie> ecarroll@cs.tcd.ie (Eddy Carroll>
> There's also a nice multi-processor cross assembler by Matt Dillon, called
> DASM, that I'm pretty sure supports the 6502, as well as several Motorola
> processors (6800, 6801, 68HC11, etc.).  I don't know if it ever made its way
> to a Fish disk, but if you can FTP to ucbvax.berkeley.edu, you can get it
> (it's in pub/amiga, in 3 separate files, dasm(1,2,3).shar).
>
> Hope that helps!
>
>   - Mike Shawaluk (a guest on Warren's account).

Unfortunately I don't have FTP facilities. Thanks for the info anyway.

In article <5186@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:
> In message <7215@cs.tcd.ie>, ecarroll@cs.tcd.ie (Eddy Carroll) says:
>>In article <8807200303.AA08094@godzilla.ele.toronto.edu>, leblanc@godzilla.ele.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) writes:
>>> 	I am trying to find a 6502 cross assembler for the Amiga.  I think
>>There is a 6502 cross assembler on Fish disk #92. I got it a few weeks
>>ago, and it seems to have all the basic stuff. It's written in C, and isn't
>>blindingly fast, but should be reasonable enough when run from RAM:.
>
> The assembler you want is Matt Dillon's "DASM". Like all of Matt's
> code, it's kinda hairy and definitely not user-friendly. But, again
> like all of Matt's code, it's FAST. Takes 45 seconds to assemble that
> same 5,000 lines of code. I had to hack on mine a bit, tho, to add
> Ascii-to-Commodore character translation, and commented listings
> (would you believe that his listing option stripped out all
> comments?!).

This sounds like exactly what I need - I'm a big fan of Matt's stuff.

> It was posted to the net some time back, I believe. I got it from a
> friend who downloaded it from Portal (a U.S. time-sharing service that
> maintains partial net archives). I am going on vacation tomorrow, so I
> can't volunteer to mail it to you (I'd need to upload it, for one
> thing, and Telenet's Dallas node doesn't have 2400 baud yet).

Is there any other kind soul out there that could possibly mail me a copy?
Unfortunately, I don't seem to have outgoing mail access from here, so
to avoid lots of large mail messages appearing in my mailbox, perhaps
volunteers could respond to this message saying they'll post it, and wait
for a few days, to let other potential posters see the message.

> A tiny note: getting the code from Amiga to C-64 is problematical. The
> best solution is Kermit at 1200 baud -- which, alas, is quite slow,
This isn't really a problem. If the worst comes to the worst, the code could
always be XMODEM'd across at 4800 baud, but it should be fairly easy to rig
up a connection via the parallel & user ports on the Amiga & C64 for
serious development.

> --
> Eric Lee Green    ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg
>           Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509
>        MISFORTUNE, n. The kind of fortune that never misses.

Thanks to Mike & Eric for the responses. As my first message indicated, I've
only just got access to Usenet, and it's nice to get such a quick response.

Eddy Carroll                    "You haven't lived until you've died in MUD!"
Email: ecarroll@cs.tcd.ie
Compunet: ALLANON                         ----* Genuine MUD wizard

mark@xrtll.UUCP (Mark Vange) (08/18/88)

The 64 Emulator, from Readysoft, allows transferring files between Amiga and
C-64 formats.  In fact, if you have any of the C-64 equipment around (like
the drives) you can hook them up to your Amiga.  As well, the Amiga 5 1/4
drive will (with this program) write C-64 readable disks.  No need to
transfer anything.  Just toss the disk in, and you're cooking.

We've done debugging with it, and it's very useful.

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (08/23/88)

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.amiga: 13-Aug-88 Re: 6502 cross assembler*
> *fo.. Eric Green@killer.DALLAS (2052)*

> A tiny note: getting the code from Amiga to C-64 is problematical. The
> best solution is Kermit at 1200 baud -- which, alas, is quite slow,
> even if it is very accurate.  Since you're probably dealing with

Why not just purchase a 5 1/4" inch drive for the Amiga, and use Disk2Disk from
Central Coast Software?  You can just write the code in Amiga format and
convert it to C-64 disk format.

<poof>

                        --M

Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu                     BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

"if you ain't ill it'll fix your car"

bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (08/25/88)

The BEST way to get code from the Amiga to a C64 or C128 (or from them to Amiga)
is to use the program Disk-2-Disk from Central Coast Software.  It multitasks
well, is extremely simple to use, and will convert ASCII-PETASCII as it
goes.  It also moves program files.  I think it is the only way to go.

Betty Clay
....killer!pollux!bjc

bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (08/25/88)

Eddy, I have your home address and will mail you a copy of DASM.  Your ICPUG
librarian might have it.  I sent it to the librarian quite some time ago.

Betty Clay
........killer!pollux!bjc