[comp.sys.amiga] Help me make my Amiga Talk

mjcharne@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mark Jay Charney) (08/21/88)

	Please pardon any implicit stupidity, I'm new to the Amiga world
and have a few questions.
	My friend and I found this simple 100 line (C program) speach
demo (that uses the narrator and the translator)  in a $30 book we bought.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work as printed in the book. I was hoping
someone had a simple 100 (or so) C program that would do the trick.
The program in the book compiles and links properly, so I'm guessing the
environment variables (like LIBS:) are not set properly. So, if someone
could possiblely send me some CLUES as to how the environment should be
set up.
	Also, how do we find out what version of the translator.library
we have for the OpenLibrary() command?
	We are using Manx C, and the program was for Lattice but we converted
the one inlcude statement that originally had the word 'lattice' in it.
Is there anything else I should know?
	We appreciate your help out there in netland, and welcome any short,
clean speach demo you could send us.

	Also, (this may seem really stupid, but) I have this "Say" program
that runs in the AmigaDOS window, but doesn't work from the Shell, any clues?

	Bewildered,
		Mark Charney   | (mjcharne@olympus.princeton.edu)
		Derek Smith    | 609-734-2386

	*** please forgive this dual posting ***

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (08/25/88)

In article <3506@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, mjcharne@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mark Jay Charney) writes:

> 	My friend and I found this simple 100 line (C program) speach
> demo (that uses the narrator and the translator)  in a $30 book we bought.
> Unfortunately, it doesn't work as printed in the book. I was hoping
> 	We are using Manx C, and the program was for Lattice but we converted
> the one inlcude statement that originally had the word 'lattice' in it.
> Is there anything else I should know?
> 	Bewildered,
> 		Mark Charney   | (mjcharne@olympus.princeton.edu)
> 		Derek Smith    | 609-734-2386

Yes, the Programmer's Guide was written for Lattice (3.03) and I am now
converting the code to make sure it runs under Manx 3.6 and Lattice 4.0
for another 'official' errata.  The problem described here is almost
certainly the old 16-bit integer problem.  I have sent an EMAIL
message directly to the originators to explain what is going on
there, casting things to LONG and so on if using Manx 'cc mycode.c' and
'ln mycode.o c.lib'.  In the meantime, for simply TESTING the code, I'd
advise using 'cc +L mycode.c' and 'ln mycode.o c32.lib' and it SHOULD
get rid of most of the problems.  I had no access to the Manx compiler
at the time the book was produced originally, but I do now and will
fix it for the next errara.

For those of you who never quite noticed... there IS a coupon in the
back of the book that offers a source/object disk containing everything
that is in the book (and just a bit more).  Starting approx 10/2/88,
the source/object disk as sent will (hopefully I am alloting time
nuff) be fully Manx compatible (or if still problems, a README
file will show where).

Rob Peck