[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga is NOT a multi-tasking computer system !!!

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (08/25/88)

steve@dcdwest.UUCP (Steve Meloche) writes:

>is not to draw attention to the Amiga-ST wars but just to comment on another
>example of seemingly intentional ignorance on behalf of the media.  I hear that
>the Amiga users here are giving them a hard time on their BBS now!

Well, maybe that is all we can constructively do is give Computer Chronicles a
hard time too.  If Commodore can't wake the industry up and we are concerned
about the Amiga position and the affect shows like this could have on future
Amiga interest WE may have to give these people a hard time.  It's a LIE to
think the Amiga doesn't exist and its the poorest journalism to produce a show
about multi-tasking and not mention the Amiga.  And I'm not even thinking
about "which computer is better".

So, who knows how to reach these people and let's WRITE them.  Let's WRITE to
other news media.  Let's sell the Amiga.  It doesn't look like Commodore can
do it all themselves.  If all we do is talk about it and take no action we are
"wasting bandwidth".  Hey, we are writing!

Bill

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com
* Sometimes The Dragon Wins! * Still looking for the best Amiga BBS
software to resurrect Bilbo's Hideaway on - but not holding breath!

jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) (08/26/88)

From article <5888@gryphon.CTS.COM>, by bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett):
> steve@dcdwest.UUCP (Steve Meloche) writes:
>>
>>example of seemingly intentional ignorance on behalf of the media.
>
> Well, maybe that is all we can constructively do is give Computer Chronicles a
> hard time too.  If Commodore can't wake the industry up and we are concerned

The problem is not specifically Computer Chronicles, it is Commodore.
I was on Computer Chronicles, showing Amiga products, *TWO* years ago.
I was showing my product, InfoMinder, accessing Genlocked VideoDisc of
the National Gallery of Art (in Washington,DC). I had an Amiga 1000,
Genlock 1300, and Byte by Byte Pal expansion box (40mb disk and
memory). Zipping up color screens and images faster than they could be
comprehended.

This was a multi-media "hyperinformation" product -- a full year
before HyperCard was announced. But it never shipped !! Why ?? What of
the above products are still being manufactured, if they were ever
manufactured. None !! There is no support, much less complete and
solid debugging of the products. Half of the shipped Genlock 1300s
were returned because of defects, but they shipped a couple of years
after being announced. (I heard rumor that this was because the Gov.
was going to go after CBM for false and misleading advertising).

In the end, it is simply Commodore that is to blame. There are a lot
of hardworking Amiga people, original designers as well as third
party, that Commodore screwed.

A year ago, after HyperCard became the "great revelation", I walked
away from the Amiga. I realized that there was no future in
unsupported products for more than hackers and gamers (which I am
not). It's really too bad, as it's still the best game in town for
creating wonderful software -- but it's a game that is tough to win!

> So, who knows how to reach these people and let's WRITE them.  Let's WRITE to
> other news media.  Let's sell the Amiga.  It doesn't look like Commodore can
> do it all themselves.  If all we do is talk about it and take no action we are
> "wasting bandwidth".  Hey, we are writing!
>
> Bill

This is exactly CBMs' strategy, they want everyone to go out and
promote and sell the Amiga -- except them. They want the user groups
and the people to be their Sales and Marketing division. They will
give you a discount on THEIR products if you sell THEIR computers.
Look at the various _successful_ companies, totally corporate
strategy.

Don't you ever wonder where the $500+ million that CBM has taken in
on the Amiga has gone ?? I sure do. As a side note, Mac third-party
software sales were over $100 million for the last fiscal quarter.

-Jim Becker
Recovering ex-Amiga Addict and Programmer. I have learned.