[comp.sys.amiga] Problems with Jet

mwf@sfmin.UUCP (M.W.Forman) (08/24/88)

<LINE EATER WAFER>

I received a call from a friend last night about an interesting
bug in Jet.  In the F18 Target Strike Mission (game 6, I believe)
at Level 9, one of the targets (ships) on your radar screen is
non-existent out of your window view.  You can throw all of your
missiles and guns at the "radar blip" but nothing happens.
Eventually, the "blip" starts shooting at you!!!

I tried it and found the same to be true.  Has anyone had the same
problem?  If you'd like to try it, it's quite simple:

Choose F18 Target Strike (once again, game 6, I believe).
Choose Level 9 of play
Exit the arming menu (5)

Turn the radar screen on.
Power up and put on the afterburners (Shift-9, Shift-9)
Ctrl-L to launch from the carrier.
DO NOT MOVE UP OR DOWN.  LEAVE THE LANDING GEAR DOWN.

You should now be flying 55 feet above the water.  Fly left or right
and shoot down all of the enemy (with missiles, of course :-)

One enemy should remain on your radar.  You won't be able to see it,
nor will you be able to hit it.

If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, or solutions to this problem,
please let me know.

			Thanks.

				Mark W. Forman
				att!attunix!sfmin!mwf

Disclaimer:  The aforementioned is a truthful recapitulation of what
             happened to me.  Any ideas expressed or implied are wholly
             based on my experiences.

joe@lakesys.UUCP (Joe Pantuso) (08/26/88)

Yes, indeed that bug is there, as are many errors.

I hopy that they intend to update JET, they certaintly owe it to us.  That is
but one of many errors including things like the sound bug and graphics
scramnbling on over 512k machines, also the multi-player dogfight mode has
*many* problems: invisible planes, inability to lock-on, fighting yourself.

BAH, humbug.

     Snail Mail:       Real Mail:                           ///
*-------------------*  {ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!joe   ///
|Joe Pantuso        |  joe@lakesys.UUCP                   ///
|1631 n. 69 St.     |                               \\\  ///\          _   _
|Wauwatosa WI  53213|  "Rascality has it's limits,   \\\///__\ |\/| | / _ |_|
*-------------------*   Stupidity does not."-Napoleon \XX/    \|  | | \_/ | |

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Fish-Guts) (08/27/88)

In article <883@sfmin.UUCP> mwf@sfmin.UUCP (M.W.Forman) writes:

>I received a call from a friend last night about an interesting
>bug in Jet.  In the F18 Target Strike Mission (game 6, I believe)
>at Level 9, one of the targets (ships) on your radar screen is
>non-existent out of your window view.  You can throw all of your
>missiles and guns at the "radar blip" but nothing happens.
>Eventually, the "blip" starts shooting at you!!!
>
>I tried it and found the same to be true.  Has anyone had the same
>problem?  If you'd like to try it, it's quite simple:

     Yup, this seems to happen to me on the ninth level.  I have never
found a fix for it.  Maybe it is a submarine shooting at you?
Whatever it is, I have never successfully blown it up.

     I found that this particular game was too easy anyway, so I never
bothered much to try to kill this "invisible" ship (maybe it is a
top-secret Soviet "Stealth Destroyer" ;-).  If anyone has discovered a
solution to this funny bug (or maybe it is a feature), please post a
short message to the net...enquiring minds would like to know.

>				Mark W. Forman
>				att!attunix!sfmin!mwf

				-Chris
--
Christopher Lishka                 ...!{rutgers|ucbvax|...}!uwvax!uwslh!lishka
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene                   lishka%uwslh.uucp@cs.wisc.edu