[comp.sys.amiga] Where is the AT Bridgeboard?

dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) (08/26/88)

In article <64636@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
 [ lots of very informative marketing stuff deleted ]

>BridgeBoard and run MINIX on it! Better yet, get the AT bridgeboard and
>run SCO Xenix on it!
	You guys talk as though the AT bridgeboard was available.  My
local dealer admits to having seen it operate, but says CBM won't even
hint at a date that they might be able to get some.  Now, I admit, if
they really don't know, then it's vaporware for them to be promising,
but I sure would like to see one.  I'm contemplating an application
where I must use some IBM peripheral boards and I need the processing power.
I'd a whole lot rather drop an AT bridgeboard into my 2000 than go
buy a clone, on principle if not for the money saved.   Anybody
know when us mere mortals will be able to get one?

On a related topic, Chuck was talking a few months back about
the concept of a 'dumb bridgeboard', i.e, a board that would merely
interconnect the two buses so that we could write Amiga programs to
access peripherals on IBM cards.  Does anyone know if anyone is
doing anything like that, and if so, when it might be available?
That approach would also work here.

BTW, Chuck, I thought your marketing analysis was excellent.

--
Dave Hanna,  Daltech MicroSystems    |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (08/27/88)

In article <136@dms3b1.UUCP>, dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) writes:
> In article <64636@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
> >BridgeBoard and run MINIX on it! Better yet, get the AT bridgeboard and
> >run SCO Xenix on it!

It's possible to run SCO Xenix on a PC/XT. I've done it. It's not going
to break any records, but it's quite a bit peppier than MS-DOS.

I don't know if SCO Xenix for the 8088 is still available, but if you ask
around you should be able to find a copy. I've seen it for sale for under
$100 at a resale place. You're restricted to small model code, but that's
no worse off then the original PDP-11 UNIX.
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?