[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga floppies

acphssrw@csuna.UUCP (Stephen R. Walton) (08/17/88)

In article <4479@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>in article <1800@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU>, cheung@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU
>(Wilson Cheung) says:
>> Why is the disk drive so slow?
>
>Are you still floppy based?  The PCs I've used around here (XTs and ATs) have a
>pretty miserable disk performance when running similar things.

Amen to that.  The ONLY thing PC's do faster than the Amiga is
directory listings and other wild-card-search related things.  And
there're lots of ways around that on the Amiga: a "fastdir" program
such as Rob Peck's, or a disk cacher which only caches directory
blocks (BlitzDisk can do this, takes minimal memory, and it comes
"free" with TxEd Plus).  In fact, I ran some disk performance
benchmarks some time ago, and the Amiga's _floppies_ were competitive
with an XT's _hard disk_ in most respects;  they were about equal in
reading/writing long files.

:Amen to that.  The ONLY thing PC's do faster than the Amiga is
:directory listings and other wild-card-search related things.

	Yah, but the fast file system really fixes the problem ...
100+ entries/sec for directories.  No more problems!

	But one thing both the original and FFS use is that beloved
hash table...  You can put a dozen directories in your PATH and it only
takes an instant to search for commands, unlike an IBM.  And when you
really get down to it, I find openning files quickly MUCH more important
than scanning directories.

	Using an IBM-AT 386 @ 16MHz, it still takes up to three seconds to
go through about 200 entries (in the 4 or 5 directories I had in the path)
to find the executable I wanted.... In otherwords, a DISKBOUND operation.

	This problem does not occur with the Amiga and I frankly have never
had to think about the number, or ordering, of my path.

						-Matt

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (08/19/88)

In article <8808180059.AA05505@cory.Berkeley.EDU>, dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU
	(Matt Dillon) writes:

> 	Using an IBM-AT 386 @ 16MHz, it still takes up to three seconds to
> go through about 200 entries (in the 4 or 5 directories I had in the path)
> to find the executable I wanted.... In otherwords, a DISKBOUND operation.

You're comparing apples to oranges. MS-DOS shouldn't be your standard for
comparison... UNIX should.

Why aim for the mud when the stars are within your grasp?
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) (08/26/88)

In message <2505@sugar.uu.net>, peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) says:
$	(Matt Dillon) writes:
$
$$ 	Using an IBM-AT 386 @ 16MHz, it still takes up to three seconds to
$$ go through about 200 entries (in the 4 or 5 directories I had in the path)
$$ to find the executable I wanted.... In otherwords, a DISKBOUND operation.
$
$You're comparing apples to oranges. MS-DOS shouldn't be your standard for
$comparison... UNIX should.

Unix, though, still is no speed demon on searching directories,
insofar as finding a particular program to run. Directories, at least
under old AT&T versions, are sequentially organized in no particular
order -- meaning an O(n) search time, where n is the number of files
in all those directories.  That's why csh and ksh have hacks in them
to speed up finding programs (hash tables, etc.), which are just as
much hacks as the "fastdir" programs on the Amiga.

Of course, Unix DOES have disk caching, while MSDOS doesn't... and
most Unix systems DO have faster disk drives than MSDOS machines...
but, all in all, the performance for directory searches should be
similiar between the two systems.

[Note: All the Unix info is from the Bach Book, which means it's
probably for some old generic AT&T version... I'm not up-to-date on
everything the Berzerkoids have done with BSD4.3).

--
Eric Lee Green    ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg
          Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509

:
:Of course, Unix DOES have disk caching, while MSDOS doesn't... and
:most Unix systems DO have faster disk drives than MSDOS machines...
:but, all in all, the performance for directory searches should be
:similiar between the two systems.

	Plus the fact that the CSH remembers all the executables in your
search path, and most programs are run from a shell.  All BSD UNIX versions
after 4.1 (i.e. 4.2, 4.3) use very intelligent caching and very fast
access so this isn't a problem.  4.3 additionaly caches directory paths in
the kernel for even faster access.  (namei is cached).  The big thing though
is the CSH.

				-Matt

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (08/27/88)

In article <5305@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US
	(Eric Green) writes:
> In message <2505@sugar.uu.net>, peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) says:
> $You're comparing apples to oranges. MS-DOS shouldn't be your standard for
> $comparison... UNIX should.

> Unix, though, still is no speed demon on searching directories,
> insofar as finding a particular program to run.

True, *but* it's way faster in getting a list of the files in a directory
and globbing wildcards. Also,

> Directories, at least
> under old AT&T versions, are sequentially organized in no particular
> order -- meaning an O(n) search time, where n is the number of files
> in all those directories.

No, this time is dominated by disk I/O, so n is the number of blocks that
have to be read off disk. At 16 bytes to a directory entry, and 512 byte
blocks, for the worst case UNIX is faster than best case AmigaDOS for up
to 32 files (it takes 2 disk accesses to verify a filename in AMigaDOS),
and just as fast for up to 64 files. I haven't figured in the effect of
hash table collisions in AmigaDOS, and on average you're going to have
half the number of accesses in UNIX.

And then...

> Of course, Unix DOES have disk caching, while MSDOS doesn't...

And AmigaDOS doesn't. Even with FACC AmigaDOS doesn't have preferential
caching of directory entries.

> and
> most Unix systems DO have faster disk drives than MSDOS machines...
> but, all in all, the performance for directory searches should be
> similiar between the two systems.

On MS-DOS, the whole file entry is stored in the directory, so there are
even fewer slots per directory entry and MS-DOS has worse directory-search
behaviour than UNIX.

I've run MS-DOS and UNIX on the same hardware. UNIX is noticably faster.
I'd like to make the same comparison on a 2500UX some time.

MOST Amiga directories have fewer than 64 files in them. About the only
directory you're going to find with worse behaviour under the UNIX file
system than the AmigaDOS one is c:. There aren't that many occasions for
large directory structures under AmigaDOS... there's no /usr/lib/termcap,
or /usr/mail, or /dev, or /usr/spool/uucp.
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

:blocks, for the worst case UNIX is faster than best case AmigaDOS for up
:to 32 files (it takes 2 disk accesses to verify a filename in AMigaDOS),
:and just as fast for up to 64 files. I haven't figured in the effect of
:hash table collisions in AmigaDOS, and on average you're going to have
:half the number of accesses in UNIX.
:> Of course, Unix DOES have disk caching, while MSDOS doesn't...
:
:And AmigaDOS doesn't. Even with FACC AmigaDOS doesn't have preferential
:caching of directory entries.

	Actually, the FFS does.  The old file system did too but it was
really stupid caching.  The FFS is *much* better at it.  Still not as fast
as UNIX but that is only because UNIX directories, being files, can be
accessed sequentially very quickly.  When you get down to openning a specific
file, such as would be done in a large CAD system or when searching the PATH,
the FFS is *much* faster!

:On MS-DOS, the whole file entry is stored in the directory, so there are
:even fewer slots per directory entry and MS-DOS has worse directory-search
:behaviour than UNIX.
:
:I've run MS-DOS and UNIX on the same hardware. UNIX is noticably faster.
:I'd like to make the same comparison on a 2500UX some time.

	MS-DOS combines the worse of both worlds.

					-Matt

wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) (08/29/88)

In article <2568@sugar.uu.net>, peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

> MOST Amiga directories have fewer than 64 files in them. About the only
> directory you're going to find with worse behaviour under the UNIX file
> system than the AmigaDOS one is c:. There aren't that many occasions for
> large directory structures under AmigaDOS... there's no /usr/lib/termcap,
> or /usr/mail, or /dev, or /usr/spool/uucp.

Well maybe you should try doing some animation, I find that I have a
lot of directories with more than 64 files in them.  Also I really don't
believe the comparsion to the UNIX file system is valid.  I worked on
4 or 5 different UNIX machine and the performance varies widely as far
as the file system in concern.  I never seen another machine that does
a simple directory as slow as the Amiga does.  There is simply no reason
for such a bad file system, and I find it hard to compare to anything.

However all things considered, the Amiga file system is the only thing
that is really awful on the Amiga.  So I'm looking forward to getting the
new fast file system in 1.3 and prehaps it will be as good as the rest
of the Amiga.

                                      Wayne Knapp