[comp.sys.amiga] Tasks, Processes, and file I/O

jjfeiler@tybalt.caltech.edu (John J. Feiler) (08/25/88)

Is it true that file I/O cannot be done from within a spawned task?  I'm
trying to create a task to handle file loading and unloading, but it doesn't
seem to do anything but crash.  Do I need a process instead of a task?  If
so, does anyone have any examples of how I should go about spawning a new
process, cleaning up, etc.
                           Thanks
   				John

==============
John Feiler				"Life's like a jigsaw, you get the
709 Locust #7				straight bits, but there's something
Pasadena, CA 91101			missing in the middle..."
jjfeiler@tybalt.caltech.edu				-- XTC
What's the difference between a duck?
==============

mlelstv@faui44.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Michael van Elst ) (08/29/88)

In article <7683@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> jjfeiler@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (John J. Feiler) writes:
>Is it true that file I/O cannot be done from within a spawned task?  I'm
>trying to create a task to handle file loading and unloading, but it doesn't
>seem to do anything but crash.  Do I need a process instead of a task?  If
>so, does anyone have any examples of how I should go about spawning a new
>process, cleaning up, etc.
>                           Thanks
>   				John

Hello,

yes that is TRUE. You cannot call any DOS function (even DOS related functions
like OpenLibrary a disk based library) from a simple 'task'.

I have posted an article dealing with this problem (someone wanted to
save intermediate results during a calculation).

I will make an example for creating processes and post this next week.

				Michael van Elst

E-mail: UUCP: ...seismo!unido!fauern!faui44!mlelstv
E-mail: UUCP: ...uunet!unido!fauern!faui44!mlelstv	<- when seismo ceases
							   operation