[comp.sys.amiga] Why X and NeWS

X and NeWS are network based window systems. This means that clients
(applications) that are running on the local machine, and clients running
on other machines on the network can manipulate windows on the server (host)
machine. So if you are running one of these on your Amiga you can use the
CAD program on the Sun-4 with it's window open on your Amiga screen. In
a situation like this, the Amiga is acting like an window terminal. In other
cases the client may be running on the Amiga and the window it is attached
to may be on the Amiga or on a Sun down the hall.

--Chuck McManis

:X and NeWS are network based window systems. This means that clients
:(applications) that are running on the local machine, and clients running
:on other machines on the network can manipulate windows on the server (host)

	Right.  X is not so useful unless you are networked to other
machines.  IF you are networked to other machines X is *very* useful.  I
don't know about NeWS, but suspect it would have advantages over X in a
non-networked machine.

				- Matt

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (08/26/88)

In article <8808260825.AA08669@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>don't know about NeWS, but suspect it would have advantages over X in a
>non-networked machine.
NeWS probably would. There is the other question of whether NeWS
is going to attain the critical mass of users and support needed to
survive (sound familiar?). There seems to be a lot of despair in
comp.windows.news nowadays, the general feeling being that NeWS
has blown it by not being real enough soon enough, and that
X has won the race. I am afraid I share that opinion. Pity, too,
i really like NeWS a lot, but it is clear that it probably
won't be out of the gate before X has taken the title of 'standard'.
ron

jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) (08/30/88)

My money is on a cross-bred X/News server from Sun, which would also
support Suntools applications running in an X window. Tha would be a
weiner !!

-Jim Becker