[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga is NOT a multi-tasking computer system !!

jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) (08/24/88)

This past weeks' Computer Chronicles show was all about
*MULTI-TASKING*, a new and different concept created with
the advent of Unix and now proudly incorporated into IBM
and Apple products.

There were displays of most all the upcoming platforms
that we have heard of from Big Blue and Apple. There was
*zero* mention of the Amiga, which does a better job than
all the others (from what I can tell).

How can the Amiga be skipped in this ?? Was CBM sleeping
at the switch again ?? Three years after the Amiga made
it's appearance and it still isn't noticed. Is something
wrong going on ?? I haven't seen or heard of the Amiga
outside of user groups for ages, maybe years...

I guess that it just doesn't exist any more, or any less.

Maybe this time next year Apple and IBM will introduce
yet another new concept, Genlocked video !! We'll see..

"Can you say 'Manufacturer support', sure you can."

-Jim Becker
recovering ex-amiga addict & developer. You will learn.

dnelson@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Dru Nelson) (08/24/88)

in article <120@tityus.UUCP>, jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) says:

> This past weeks' Computer Chronicles show was all about
*MULTITASKING*
[... whole bunch of stuff ]
> that we have heard of from Big Blue and Apple. There was
> *zero* mention of the Amiga, which does a better job than

Damn straight.  Forget Apple's multitasking.  On an IBM, well
Xenix is the only real one.

> all the others (from what I can tell).
> How can the Amiga be skipped in this ?? Was CBM sleeping
> at the switch again ?? Three years after the Amiga made
> it's appearance and it still isn't noticed. Is something
> wrong going on ?? I haven't seen or heard of the Amiga
> outside of user groups for ages, maybe years...
> I guess that it just doesn't exist any more, or any less.

So what if the computer chronicles (which is a fairly biased, no
content show) doesn't show the Amiga.  So what if nobody talks about
the Amiga.  Who cares?  Why worry about if people know if the Amiga is
a great machine (which it is).  If you get into that mind set, then
you'll get worried about any product that another company puts out.
Why should people start worrying when the Mac II comes out.  If you
like your machine, then enjoy it yourself or with other people who
feel that way.  If you ashamed of being looked down upon because you
own an Amiga or hearing from people who own *BM's that the Amiga is
a game machine, then it isn't possible to really enjoy the machine.  Let
the ignorant be ignorant, let the fools be fools.  What does it
matter if they start pushing the Genlock type devices on the Mac?  You
will know that it was on the Amiga first.  Don't get me wrong, its
good for people to know which computer is good in its field, but the
computer will usually take care of itself if it is good.  Look in any
magazine for the video enthusiast.  The product that stands out is the
Amiga.  So don't worry yourself, man.

> Maybe this time next year Apple and IBM will introduce
> yet another new concept, Genlocked video !! We'll see..

The Mac II has very good Genlocked video, the 400 vertical resolution
helps a whole lot (c'mon Commodore/Amiga, get that thing working)

> "Can you say 'Manufacturer support', sure you can."

Yes, but thats just worrying too much.  Never do it too much to be
ignorant of another companies edge, though.

> -Jim Becker
> recovering ex-amiga addict & developer. You will learn.

What does this mean ^^^?
--
Dru Nelson                    UUCP: (gould || uunet)!umbio!dnelson
Miami, Florida                 MCI: dnelson

steve@dcdwest.UUCP (Steve Meloche) (08/24/88)

The local computer rag here in San Diego, ComputorEdge, just discovered this
neat new thing. . . computer animation!  I grabbed myself a copy (they're free)
and looked for the article on the Amiga.  There wasn't one.  The editor's note
and all of the animation articles ignored our Amy completely.  Actually, the
writer reviewing the Atari ST animation program mentioned that there were a few
isolated poorer quality programs (animation & 3D modeling) for the Amiga.  This
is not to draw attention to the Amiga-ST wars but just to comment on another
example of seemingly intentional ignorance on behalf of the media.  I hear that
the Amiga users here are giving them a hard time on their BBS now!

    _____ _____ _____      Steven Meloche
      |   ` | ' ` | '      ITT Defense Communications Division
      |     |     |        San Diego, CA
    __|__   |     |        steve!dcdwest!ucsdhub!...

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (08/24/88)

In article <345@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> dnelson@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Dru Nelson) writes:
>in article <120@tityus.UUCP>, jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) says:
>>
>> This past weeks' Computer Chronicles show was all about
>*MULTITASKING*
>[... whole bunch of stuff ]
>> that we have heard of from Big Blue and Apple. There was
>> *zero* mention of the Amiga, which does a better job than
>So what if the computer chronicles (which is a fairly biased, no
>content show) doesn't show the Amiga.

The (rerun) show was about CDOS, OS/2 and A/UX, and not about general
multitasking.

I think that Computer Chronicles does a pretty reasonable job in covering
most subjects.  It's certainly a hell of a lot better than Victoria and The
Computer Show.  I actually manage to learn some stuff from this program.
Several weeks back, CC reran its Amiga 2000 show, completely devoted to the
Amiga and current software.  I think this is pretty good exposure.

Not to mention that Paul Schindler stands in front of an A1000 every week
for his Software Review.

-scott

jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) (08/24/88)

> Comments about Comp Cron show on multitasking minus Amiga.

This has been brought up before. I think C/A should sue the
producers of Comp Cronicles. It probably won't work, but it
would sure get some air-play.

				 	|_________________________

wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) (08/24/88)

In article <120@tityus.UUCP>, jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) writes:

> This past weeks' Computer Chronicles show was all about
> *MULTI-TASKING*, a new and different concept created with
> the advent of Unix and now proudly incorporated into IBM
> and Apple products.
>
> There were displays of most all the upcoming platforms
> that we have heard of from Big Blue and Apple. There was
> *zero* mention of the Amiga, which does a better job than
> all the others (from what I can tell).
>
> How can the Amiga be skipped in this ?? Was CBM sleeping
> at the switch again ?? Three years after the Amiga made
> it's appearance and it still isn't noticed. Is something
> wrong going on ?? I haven't seen or heard of the Amiga
> outside of user groups for ages, maybe years...

Multitasking was around long before the Amiga.  Still most people don't use
multitasking that much.  For the most part 99.99% of the things that people
use multitasking for can be handled by desk accessories, which in fact is
a type (albeit, limited) of multitasking.

I think the major point behind Apple Mac's and maybe the new OS/2 IBM stuff
is the fact that there is multitasking and EASY data interchange between
programs.  The Mac clipboard goes a long way towards changing the whole nature
of computing.  Of coarse this can also be done on the Amiga, IBM, ST etc.,
except no one else has made it so simple and built in as Apple has.

Also remember that there are at least 4 or 5 Macs for every Amiga.  Lord only
knows how many IBM or clones.  So by just covering IBM and Apple they probably
cover over 90% of the viewers.  They have limited air time and I doult if
C= gives them much money.  So what would you show if you were being honest
with youself?  Maybe if very Amiga owner sent in $5 to the show things would
change.

> Maybe this time next year Apple and IBM will introduce
> yet another new concept, Genlocked video !! We'll see..

Over the last 5 years I been in Japan at least 6 times, 3 of the times were
over two week stays.  The first long stay I had was around the end of 1984.
At that time there were a lot of home computers in the stores that had
built in Genlocking.  More likely the computer could be locked on to an
external video source than a full genlock, but it was common to see a CRT
displaying TV with computer graphics overlaid on the TV broadcast.

Now the Japanese have many video systems, not a lot of software but lots and
lots of hardware toys.  Maybe Amiga is just borrowing ideas from the Japanese.
Maybe "new concept" should be replaced with "Japanese concept".

> "Can you say 'Manufacturer support', sure you can."

Apple, IBM.  Yes

C=, Atari.   No   (And these are the machines I own)

                        Cheers,
                             Wayne Knapp

wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) (08/24/88)

In article <345@umbio.MIAMI.EDU>, dnelson@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Dru Nelson) writes:

> So what if the computer chronicles (which is a fairly biased, no
> content show) doesn't show the Amiga.

Why is it that just because a show or mag. (like BYTE) gives low coverage
to the Amiga is it considered biased and no content by you guys.  I like
byte, my Amiga and the computer chronicles.  Just because I don't own an
IBM doesn't mean I want turn my head away and not know what is going on
in the IBM world. (Same for Apple)  If the Amiga is to stay ahead people
better know what is going on the rest of the World.  Otherwise someday
people will wake up and find they have been left behind.

                                        Wayne Knapp

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (08/25/88)

Look folks:  when stuff like this happens, the best thing to do about it
is to write letters (electronic or paper) directly to the people
responsible.  Commodore probably won't do much about it, and the media
will continue to ignore that which they know nothing about.  If the
machine's biggest fans---the users---write letters to the journals and
programs that blatantly ignore Amy in the fields at which she excels, then
maybe they will sit up and take notice.  They certainly won't notice if no
one tells them.

So the next time some TV program or some computing journal comes out with
a lie or a half-truth like "OS/2 is the first to bring the power of
multitasking into the hands of the home users" or some such hype, write to
them and correct them.  That's the best way for them to find out.  The
letter doesn't need to be snide or "holier than thou", just factual and
corrective.  And if you don't know of an address for something like
"Computer Chronicles", usually the local broadcast station that carried it
will be able to tell you.  Maybe it won't do any good, but it certainly
can't do any harm.

The only exception here, of course, is Pour-nell.  There's no hope for
him.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

pds@quintus.uucp (Peter Schachte) (08/25/88)

In article <120@tityus.UUCP> jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) writes:
>This past weeks' Computer Chronicles show was all about
>*MULTI-TASKING*...There were displays of most all the upcoming platforms
>that we have heard of from Big Blue and Apple. There was
>*zero* mention of the Amiga...How can the Amiga be skipped in this ??

Just thought you might be interested that in BYTE magazine, that den of
IBM and occasional Apple articles, (July issue, preview of Sun386i),
Senior Technical Editor Tom Thompson wrote (about the history of
multitasking in microcomputers) (quoted without permission):

"The Commodore Amiga came with a multitasking kernel from the start,
but its baroque command set, low-resolution display, and lack of
hardware memory protection makes using it a chore at best."

Not exactly a glowing review, not quite fair or accurate, but we DID
get mentioned.  I won't bother to address his criticisms, we all know
the Truth.
-Peter Schachte
pds@quintus.uucp
..!sun!quintus!pds

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (08/25/88)

In article <120@tityus.UUCP> jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) writes:

> This past weeks' Computer Chronicles show was all about
> *MULTI-TASKING*,....
> There were displays of most all the upcoming platforms
> that we have heard of from Big Blue and Apple. There was
> *zero* mention of the Amiga,....

On the other hand, Computer Chronicles did devote one whole show
to the Amiga.

> Maybe this time next year Apple and IBM will introduce
> yet another new concept, Genlocked video !! We'll see..

This has *already* happened.  At the recent MacWorld Expo in Boston,
the big push for the Macintosh was "desktop [electronic]
presentation."  Desktop video with genlocks, flying titles, etc., was
prominently featured also.  For once it was the Mac salespeople who
had to explain to everybody why the (interlace) display flickered.

The desktop video products available for the Mac appeared to be not as
advanced as the products available for the Amiga, but with Apple's
budget and sales, they should catch up fast....

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,mit-eddie,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

oconnor@nuke.steinmetz (Dennis M. O'Connor) (08/25/88)

An article by wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) says:
] ... most people don't use multitasking that much.

Most people don't use computers that much. Most of China, for example.
( They don't have the opportunity.) So are computers without value ?

] For the most part 99.99% of the things that people use multitasking
] for can be handled by desk accessories, which in fact is
] a type (albeit, limited) of multitasking.

This is not true. Probably the most popular use of "multitasking"
is multi-user machines. VERY COMMON, yes ? I myself am ( at the time
of this posting ) logged onto my VAX 3 times. I edit in one
session, debug in another, monitor the system in a third.

( Of course, all three logins are from windows on my Sun3, which
  I'm currently also reading news on ( excuse, the VAX wants input ...
  I'm back ). I've got 7 windows up now, each a separate process.
  And I'm running a CPU monitor, a WYSIWYG editor and a mail
  monitor as background tasks. Do that with desk accessories! )

On my Amiga, the BENCHMARK Modula-2 system I use runs programs
under development in a seperate task. This is VERY convenient
for when a bug in the program clobbers the task : I just mouse
back to the editor and fix it, no problem. Do that with desk
accessories !

]                              Wayne Knapp

Wayne, if you think the MAC is some kinda great leap, you
are a naive coputer-person. Ever worked on a Symbolics LispMachine ?
Now THERE'S an advanced machine ! MAC-II's are DREK compared to them.
And they only cost, I think, $40K for a low-end model ?
Cheap at the price, if you're programmer enough to use it ! :-)

It's amazing to me when these PC-people claim some feature
is "great" or "not used" or whatever. These people seem to
never heard of the work done at Xerox, Symbolics or any of
a host of places. Get an education, people.
--
 Dennis O'Connor   oconnor%sungod@steinmetz.UUCP  ARPA: OCONNORDM@ge-crd.arpa
    "Never confuse USENET with something that matters, like PIZZA."

iphwk%MTSUNIX1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Bill Kinnersley) (08/25/88)

[In "Re: Amiga is NOT a multi-tasking computer system !!", Wayne Knapp said:]
:
: Multitasking was around long before the Amiga.  Still most people don't use
: multitasking that much.  For the most part 99.99% of the things that people
: use multitasking for can be handled by desk accessories, which in fact is
: a type (albeit, limited) of multitasking.
:
Our first multitasking microcomputer was an Altos, at least seven years
old.  It ran MP/M-II, a variant of CP/M with a true interrupt-driven
multitasking kernel.  What fun it was, with four users trying to ride
one poor little overworked Z-80!

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (08/26/88)

in article <345@umbio.MIAMI.EDU>, dnelson@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Dru Nelson) says:

>> Maybe this time next year Apple and IBM will introduce
>> yet another new concept, Genlocked video !! We'll see..

> The Mac II has very good Genlocked video, the 400 vertical resolution
> helps a whole lot (c'mon Commodore/Amiga, get that thing working)

Huh?  You can't Genlock the Mac II's standard video (which is 480 lines,
by the way, not 400).  At Comdex I some a company selling a Genlock
system for it, which is basically a reverse flickerFixer -- feed in
31kHz video, get NTSC out.  It looked OK showing a static image, which
is all they were displaying on the Mac.  It also cost around $1500,
which would buy you a nice A500 SYSTEM.

What the Mac II does have is a sharp, non-interlaced, 640x480 display.
You can get something similar on an Amiga with a flickerFixer today,
or wait awhile for a chip upgrade.  The Mac will still have more
possible colors.

> Dru Nelson                    UUCP: (gould || uunet)!umbio!dnelson
> Miami, Florida                 MCI: dnelson
>                           Internet: dnelson%umbio@umigw.miami.edu
--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) (08/26/88)

In article <345@umbio.MIAMI.EDU>, dnelson@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Dru Nelson) writes:
> So what if the computer chronicles (which is a fairly biased, no
> content show) doesn't show the Amiga.  So what if nobody talks about
> the Amiga.  Who cares?
> If you ashamed of being looked down upon because you
> own an Amiga or hearing from people who own *BM's that the Amiga is
> a game machine, then it isn't possible to really enjoy the machine.

If you sell more Amigas, software and/or hardware prices will go
down.  This should appeal to anyone's logic...  Even if I become a hermit
and could care less what other people own, eventually I may feel like
buying something new that will cost twice what the same thing does
on an IBM (look, no *'s).

However, the big drawback to this theory is that when the number of
machines of a certain type reaches critical mass, that the marketing
types start selling software for $500.  So sell a lot of machines, but
not toooo many.

Darin Johnson (...pyramid.arpa!leadsv!laic!darin)
              (...ucbvax!sun!sunncal!leadsv!laic!darin)
	"All aboard the DOOMED express!"

rchampe@hubcap.UUCP (Richard Champeaux) (08/26/88)

In article <3179@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM>, wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) writes:

> Multitasking was around long before the Amiga.  Still most people don't use
> multitasking that much.  For the most part 99.99% of the things that people
> use multitasking for can be handled by desk accessories, which in fact is
> a type (albeit, limited) of multitasking.

     Multitasking is not used only for running multiple programs.  A lot of
multitasking goes on in a multitasking operating system that you don't see
but is important to improving the efficiency of a computer.  I/O is well
suited for multitasking.  For example: Why should the program wait on the
printer or console to finish it's output before continuing?  Although many
computers use interrupts to do these things, that method is limited. A
multitasking enviroment also provides a consistant and easy interface to
functions like these.
     From what I read in an article in BYTE about 2 years ago (written by
a Mac developer who disliked the Mac's programming enviroment),  the Mac's
non-multitasking solution to the problem of "What do I do when I'm printing?"
is to pass the address of a short routine to the driver that can be called
whenever the driver is waiting for the printer.  It seems to me that such
a method would be very limited and greatly complicate software that wishes
to use that feature.
     The Amiga's solution is to pass the data to a multitasking driver and
continue on with the program.  Any additional requests issued before the
first is finished are queued up by the driver.  If it is necessary  wait
for the I/O to finish, the status of the request can be checked.

>                         Cheers,
>                              Wayne Knapp

Rich Champeaux
Clemson University

jax@well.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr) (08/26/88)

	Right now I am logged into the WELL in one screen of my Amiga
1000 with 1.5M memory. In another screen is microEmacs in which I
am editing a Prolog program for UNH Prolog, which is running in the
Workbench screen.

	Also in the Workbench screen is a CLI window running the CShell.
Also a Forth screen editor is open, as I examine a 32-bit metacompiled
Laxen and Perry implementation by Pete Appelman ( P.APPELMAN on GEnie).

	Now, I am forced to use an AT at work. Would someone please tell
me what desk accessory to buy that will allow this, along with the SUN-like
mouse driver DMouse running at full speed on the blitter, on my AT? It
would really make my workday a lot easier ...

*******************
jax@well
jax@chariot  "Shave and a haircut ... 32 bits!"
JAX on GEnie

jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) (08/30/88)

From article <1825@kalliope.rice.edu>, by phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre):
> Look folks:  when stuff like this happens, the best thing to do about it
> is to write letters (electronic or paper) directly to the people
> responsible.
>
> 			William LeFebvre

	I did this -- to the Mercury News when they were giving Front
Page space to the new OS/2 offerings. They did it two days running. I
wrote a (typically) sarcastic letter about the entire situation,
bringing in a number of good and relavant points. I sent it to the
Senior Editor, and he suprised with a phone call !! It seems that he
has an *Amiga* at home that his kids love and he finds useful... He
asked for permission to reprint my letter, but never followed thru on
it. It was quite a pointed letter, as I remember.

-Jim Becker
still Ex.