[comp.sys.amiga] Posting src/bin in comp.sys.amiga

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (08/28/88)

In article <2312.AA2312@heimat>, sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>   My desire is not so much to minimize cost (since I do receive all 5 of
>   the Amiga groups) as much as is it is to see the binaries and sources
>   return to there proper groups. Its seems that the posting of binaries
>   and sources in the message groups have started to become the rule rather
>   than the exception.

It would probably help matters a bit if the sources/binaries groups were
just a tad more active.  And consistant.  Don't you think?

Once again, it's been well over two weeks since *anything* has been posted
to either group.  A quick check of the binary groups for PClones, Mac's,
and ST's shows 41, 6, and 20 postings respectively over the same period.

And, though I don't have any numbers, not alot has been posted in the past
six months ... especially when compared to the other groups.  Certainly
very little of the things I've sent in has (read: dme v1.30, zoo v2.00,
2 or 3 versions of VirusX, arp v1.1, arp v1.1a update, and a number of
other utilities and "significant" contributions to the Amiga PD).

Time was, when the best PD stuff was posted here on the net FIRST, and most
of it with *sources*.  Unfortunately, that no longer seems to be the case.

That is why I have, on occasion, posted some "significant contributions"
directly to comp.sys.amiga, most noteably the ARP stuff, and "rez".  And
it's why I will continue to do so, given the same situation (after having
first posted appropriate notification of my intentions, and after having
given the moderators a reasonable amount of time to do things "the right way").

>   As for the UnDelete program, I will admit that in the past ive been known
>   to post some long files. Thanx for pointing this out to me and I will try
>   to refrain from doing this in the future. I will continue to post however
>   they will be in the proper newsgroup(s).

I hope you will reconsider, and continue to post "significant" items in the
news.group that will benefit the majority of the readership.  Currently, it
is NOT the sources/binaries groups.  When (and if) they ever become active,
reliable, and consistant again, then they are, of course, "the right places".
Such is not the case *today*.

Now ... the above is not meant to be a flaming attack at the moderators.
First, that's a voluntary job, and it takes alot of time to do it.  Therein
is the biggest problem, I think.  I do believe that they could reduce their
"workload" by simply insuring that all the files for a given distribution
were indeed included, and that any binary files were not corrupt.  And then
*post* the stuff!  In a timely fashion.

It would also help to relax this hypothetical 100K/day limit (which I know
for a fact is not something that's imposed by Purdue's administration, and
which certainly isn't imposed on similar groups for other machines).

Finally, a quick word WRT the alt.sources.amiga group.	I have no problem
with the group per se, but this too is a "band-aid" to try and find a
solution to the ongoing problems with the "real" src/bin groups.  It would
be a good solution, except that it has questionable propagation, and hence
serves only a limited number of the net's readership (those fortunate enough
to have "enlightened" administration on-site, and in their upstream news
feeds).

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

:In article <2312.AA2312@heimat>, sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
:   My desire is not so much to minimize cost (since I do receive all 5 of
:   the Amiga groups) as much as is it is to see the binaries and sources
:   return to there proper groups. Its seems that the posting of binaries
:   and sources in the message groups have started to become the rule rather
:   than the exception.
:It would probably help matters a bit if the sources/binaries groups were
:just a tad more active.  And consistant.  Don't you think?
:

	How about just unmoderating binaries and sources?  The concept of
moderation is nice and all, but just isn't working for us.  Frankly, I
think WE as a group are responsible enough to do it.  Right now I don't
really give a @#$ if the stuff is archived, just as long as it gets posted
in a reasonable amount of time.

	One thing that *cannot* be done is to post major source/binary
distributions over comp.sys.amiga .... many sites would not be able to
afford it.

					-Matt

koster@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David Ashley) (08/29/88)

In article <8808290546.AA27315@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>	How about just unmoderating binaries and sources?
>					-Matt

I agree. I'm also sick of hearing about how much time and trouble it is
to be a moderator. I say, if you can't stand the heat, give the job to
someone else. The current situation is rediculous. These guys are slow as
molasses, and I for one do not really care if the program is tested or not.

Moreover, to worry about commercial/pirated programs being placed on the net
is silly, as a person can do that now, just posting in comp.sys.amiga or
one of the other unmoderated groups.

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (08/30/88)

In Message <acrUM06zfa1010dw9aQ@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:

>In article <2312.AA2312@heimat>, sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>>   My desire is not so much to minimize cost (since I do receive all 5 of
>>   the Amiga groups) as much as is it is to see the binaries and sources
>>   return to there proper groups. Its seems that the posting of binaries
>>   and sources in the message groups have started to become the rule rather
>>   than the exception.
>
>It would probably help matters a bit if the sources/binaries groups were
>just a tad more active.  And consistant.  Don't you think?
>
>And, though I don't have any numbers, not alot has been posted in the past
>six months ... especially when compared to the other groups.  Certainly

 I have to agree that there seems to be a problem. But what is the answer?

>Now ... the above is not meant to be a flaming attack at the moderators.
>First, that's a voluntary job, and it takes alot of time to do it.  Therein
>is the biggest problem, I think.  I do believe that they could reduce their
>"workload" by simply insuring that all the files for a given distribution
>were indeed included, and that any binary files were not corrupt.  And then
>*post* the stuff!  In a timely fashion.

 It seems like this discussion took place just a few months ago. Thats what
 caused Peter to start alt.sources.amiga -=- But maybe its time to start this
 discussion again. And if it involves lifting the fog, then maybe its time we
 do it now rather than rehashing this subject every few months.

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein     {alegra|amiga|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
 Sneakers Computing

 Of course heimat is an Amiga, doesn't everyone run UUCP & UseNet on an Amiga?