[comp.sys.amiga] Flicker Fixer Question

TLOW@KL.SRI.COM (Thomas Low) (08/30/88)

I've been developing an application which requires both hi-res (640-400) and
realtime animation. It appears the hires 16 color display uses up so much bus
bandwith that much of the advantage the blitter is lost for clearing the
screen and doing polygon fills.  Would a Flicker Fixer board help this
situation?  With this board, would the display memory fetches which now clog
the amiga bus be off loaded to a bus between the flicker fixer memory and the
D/A's on the card, or are these fetches still occuring on the amiga side of
the bus?  Any insight will be appreciated.  Send replies to tlow@kl.sri.com
(ARPANET) If result is of general interest, I will repost.

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (J. Dow) (08/30/88)

In article <12426396991008@KL.SRI.COM> TLOW@KL.SRI.COM (Thomas Low) writes:
>I've been developing an application which requires both hi-res (640-400) and
>realtime animation. It appears the hires 16 color display uses up so much bus
>bandwith that much of the advantage the blitter is lost for clearing the
>screen and doing polygon fills.  Would a Flicker Fixer board help this
>situation?  With this board, would the display memory fetches which now clog
>the amiga bus be off loaded to a bus between the flicker fixer memory and the
>D/A's on the card, or are these fetches still occuring on the amiga side of
>the bus?  Any insight will be appreciated.  Send replies to tlow@kl.sri.com
>(ARPANET) If result is of general interest, I will repost.

No it won't, Thomas. The FlickerFixer is a passive device that processes the
video bus info that comes direct from the Amiga's graphics chips. It does
not access the main bus at all.

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and					quit playing with dragons and knights.