[comp.sys.amiga] 3-button mouse for Amiga?

milazzo@bbn.com (Paul Milazzo) (08/30/88)

I have heard it is possible to get a three-button mouse for the Amiga;
where might I find one?  I do know that standard Amiga software only
supports two buttons.

Please reply directly to me; I'll post a summary of responses.

				Thank you,
				Paul Milazzo <milazzo@bbn.com>
				BBN Laboratories
				Cambridge, MA

In article <11566@pearl.BBN.COM> milazzo@bbn.com (Paul Milazzo) writes:
>I have heard it is possible to get a three-button mouse for the Amiga;
>where might I find one?

	I found mine at Computer Surplus in San Jose.  It's a Hawley X063X
from The Mouse House in Berkeley.

	You pretty much have to roll your own if you want to have a three
button mouse.  The Hawley mouse had a DB-9 on it, but it was the wrong sex.
After taking it to a Swedish doctor :-), I figured out which wires were X
and Y quadrature, and which were the left, middle, and right mouse buttons,
and wired it up.  It works great.  I prefer the Hawley's buttons since
they're more clicky than the standard Amiga mouse's, which helps when painting.

>I do know that standard Amiga software only
>supports two buttons.

	It turns out that the input.device handles three buttons, which you
can intercept and use.  Intuition, however, only knows about and reports the
left and right buttons.  Perhaps we can convince JimM to report middle mouse
button events on the IDCMP port in 1.4.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac