[comp.sys.amiga] Format of Earl Weaver Baseball player stats files

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) (08/30/88)

I have Earl Weaver Baseball on an Amiga
and am an 15 games short of finishing an
81 game season (1986 stats).  When a friend and I made up the
schedule, we wanted to just use '86's actual schedule.  This was
impossible since (unless I really screwed up and missed something
obvious, and if I did, PLEASE tell me!) you can't give individual
TEAMS days off.  You can give all players (both leagues) a day off,
but not individual teams.

So, I want the format of the player stats file so I can write some
program that will increment the "day off" counter for the various
players on a team.  I'm pretty sure that the player stats file isn't
organized by team, so such a tweaking program would proably need a
lookup table of who's on each team, but I haven't poked around yet and
may be wrong.  But before I start spending time doing this, I want to
see if anyone's invented the wheel  before I reinvent it.

For Amiga users:
  I bought Marauder II with brain file 9 for the sole purpose of
copying EWB since key disk protection SUCKS!  Why can't EA be like
Bethsada and use manual lookup?  Well, it turns out that MII can't
copy it properly and if you leave thecopy in when the game asks for
the original, it crashes after the 3rd inning (this was confirmed by a
call to DSI).  However, I descovered by sheer accident a way to beat
the copy protection if you're not in too much of a hurry.  Boot the
copy.  When the music finishes and it asks you to press a key, DON'T!!
Just let it sit there.  After a few minutes the game will start
selecting lineups and go into demo mode.  Wait until the first batter
bats, then do Shift-Q to abort the demo game.  Now select your teams
and options and PLAY BALL.  You will not be asked for the original
disk and you will not crash (I had the game running for 10 days
non-stop a few months ago).  You can play as many games as you want
and will never be asked for the original disk.  Of course, if you
reboot, you have to go through the process of letting it go into demo
mode, etc.  Some might complain about the time 3-5 minutes this takes,
but I just get something to drink/go to the bathroom/etc. during this.
Being able to keep my original disk safely tucked away is worth a
little extra delay to me.

Finally, to EA (in the futile hope that they read this):

The game does not put pitchers' offensive stats into the team totals
(BOOO!), nor does it keep individual pitchers' offensive stats.

The game does not put regular players pitching stats (it happens,
folks) into the team pitching totals, nor does it keep individual
everyday players' pitching stats.

On the last lineup screen before a game starts, the starting pitcher is always
shown as having appeared in 3 games regardless of how many he's
actually appeared it.

Every now and then (very seldom) the ball will go into a weird place
and get stuck in an infinite loop and hang the machine.

Note:  the two bugs might be due to the copy protection crack, but the
first ones are definitely the game.

And yes, I have told EA of all this and characteristically they said,
"Yes, we know about it.  No, we have no plans to do anything."

'Nuff said for now....

* Rich Carreiro                 "MIT isn't Hell.  It's where you go when      *
* rlcarr@athena.mit.edu          you've been bad in Hell." - Anon.            *

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) (08/30/88)

In article <6874@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> I write:
>I have Earl Weaver Baseball on an Amiga
   .
   .
  etc.
   .

Forgot my addresses!

ARPA:    rlcarr@athena.mit.edu
UUCP:    {wherever}!mit-eddie!athena.mit.edu!rlcarr
BITNET:  rlcarr%athena.mit.edu@MITVMA.mit.edu

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (09/02/88)

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) writes:
>For Amiga users:
>  I bought Marauder II with brain file 9 for the sole purpose of
>copying EWB since key disk protection SUCKS!  Why can't EA be like
>Bethsada and use manual lookup?  Well, it turns out that MII can't

>Being able to keep my original disk safely tucked away is worth a
>little extra delay to me.

>Finally, to EA (in the futile hope that they read this):
>
>         { bug report deleted }
>

>Note:  the two bugs might be due to the copy protection crack, but the
>first ones are definitely the game.

        Should be easy enough to tell, just check it out on your legit copy
    and see if the buts are still there :^).

>And yes, I have told EA of all this and characteristically they said,
>"Yes, we know about it.  No, we have no plans to do anything."

        If the bugs are a result of cracking the code then there are no bugs,
so why should EA do anything at all.

                                                Thanks,

                                                        Wade.  :^)

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM
Opionions expressed are mine, and not necessarily those of my employer.