From: bvk%hhb@Princeton.EDU (brett kuehner)
Subject: Disk drives
To: mp1u%andrew.cmu.edu@Princeton.EDU (Mike Portuesi),
        bader%andrew.cmu.edu@Princeton.EDU (Miles Bader)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 17:52:56 EDT

Well, I finally ordered one. Lyco Computer has 64 Meg, 40 ms, SCSI drives
(Seagate ST277N) for $439. Oh yeah, 5 1/4" half height. The only problem is
that they have to special order it, so it'll take 2 weeks. But I've dealt
with Lyco before, and they are a good place. They also don't bill until they
ship. I just got done ordering, the total, with shipping, and without the 4%
cash discount (I used my Visa) was $469.82. $100 cheaper than anywhere else
I looked (I just got done going through Computer Shopper).
They also have Seagate ST157N 48 Meg 3 1/2" drives for $439. Probably a
special order on them, too, but I didn't ask. Mike, you might want to post all
this info to the net, since it's a good deal and since our UUCP is screwed,
so I can't do it.

Handy reference guide: (all SCSI drives)

Drive   Price   Capacity        Speed   Size
-----   -----   --------        -----   ----
ST277N  $439    64 Meg          40 ms   5 1/4", half height
ST157N  $439    48 Meg          40 ms   3 1/2"
ST138N  $329    30 Meg          40?ms   3 1/2"
ST125N  $299    20 Meg          40 ms   3 1/2"
ST225N  $289    20 Meg          65 ms   5 1/4", half height

Lyco's number and address is:

Lyco Computer
P.O. Box 5088
Jersey Shore, PA 17740
1-800-233-8760

They take Visa, MasterCard, COD and checks (though they say they have a 4
WEEK! waiting period on checks).

Now, I have to decide which controller I want and order it from Abel. And
yes, I would have liked a 28ms drive, but equivalent storage at that speed
would have been ~$500, plus an external SCSI controller for ~$150. Of
course, if you want an A2090, it's a whole different story. Check out
Computer Shopper for non-SCSI drives. Probably a little less per Meg.
Although a quick check doesn't show anything a lot better than $6.85 per
Meg. (the ST277N).

                Brett

berry@stsci.EDU (Jim Berry) (09/01/88)

From article <4X6zply00Vsf06tIZb@andrew.cmu.edu>, by mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi):

> From: bvk%hhb@Princeton.EDU (brett kuehner)

> Well, I finally ordered one. Lyco Computer has 64 Meg, 40 ms, SCSI drives
> (Seagate ST277N) for $439. Oh yeah, 5 1/4" half height. The only problem is
> that they have to special order it, so it'll take 2 weeks. But I've dealt
> with Lyco before, and they are a good place. They also don't bill until they
> ship. I just got done ordering, the total, with shipping, and without the 4%
> cash discount (I used my Visa) was $469.82. $100 cheaper than anywhere else

Well, I ordered my 277N from them 3 weeks ago and yesterday they swore
(again) on the phone that they'd get them in 'middle of next week'. Sigh.
Oddly enough, the cheapest way to order from Lyco is COD.  My total bill
is under $450 (I just gave the money to the guy who runs the store under my
apartment and had the drive sent to him).

I hope you're right about them being reliable, I'm getting a little antsy.

Jim Berry                         | UUCP:{arizona,decvax,hao}!noao!stsci!berry
Space Telescope Science Institute | ARPA:   berry@stsci.edu
Baltimore, Md. 21218              | SPAM:   SCIVAX::BERRY, KEPLER::BERRY

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer) (09/03/88)

In article <399@stsci> berry@stsci.EDU (Jim Berry) writes:
=-Well, I ordered my 277N from them 3 weeks ago and yesterday they swore
=-(again) on the phone that they'd get them in 'middle of next week'. Sigh.
=-Oddly enough, the cheapest way to order from Lyco is COD.  My total bill
=-is under $450 (I just gave the money to the guy who runs the store under my
=-apartment and had the drive sent to him).

	The cheapest way to order from ANY discount place is (or should be)
COD, since then the merchant doesn't have to pay the credit card fee
(3% VISA/MC, 5% AMEX, approx.).  But, just try getting your money back on a COD
order if there is something wrong with the shipment.  On a credit card order,
you can refuse to pay for the shipment and return it, assuming the item in
question was not advertised as non-returnable, or the item was damaged in
shipping.  In the case of a COD you have the same rights for settlement of the
matter, but while the situation is being resolved, YOU don't have your money.
The credit card fee is, in effect, insurance against unsatisfactory service
from the merchant or the carrier.  All of this of course assumes that you don't
pay your whole credit card bill before the stuff arrives.  Since the merchant is
required to ship within 30 days, and you have 30 days to pay your card bill,
you are legally entitled to refuse payment on anything you have not received by
the due date on your card bill.

_No dark sarcasm in the classroom|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|___
|____Teachers leave the kids alone__|_____|_____|_____|_bryan@cs.utexas.edu___|