[comp.sys.amiga] Disappearing mutually recursive subdirctories

mcohen@nrtc.northrop.com (Marty Cohen) (09/02/88)

My basic problem is that a parent directory somehow became a child
of one of its own child directories. When I closed them, they
vanished and I can no longer find them. A "dir opt a" from the
root directory shows no trace.

More details: I was trying GOMF 2.2 on my A1000 (+ 1meg insider
+ 50meg CLtd SCSI disk). I played around with GOMF a bit, trying the
demos, which all worked. I then created a subdirectory in the UTILITIES
directory called GOMF and copied the routines from the GOMF2.2
floppy to it. At this point, something happened, and the UTULITIES
directory vanished from the main directory display and appeared
in the GOMF directory. I then (foolishly) closed the GOMF
directory. (I probably should have moved the UTILITIES directory
back wher it came from) The two directories (UTILITIES and GOMF)
vanished, never to be seen again.

My main worry is that the disk directory structure might be confused,
since the vanished directories are (presumably) pointing to each other
and being pointed to be nothing else. The amount of space lost is
also bothersome, though I can stand it. The files themselves are
not a problem, since I actually backed up the disk recently.

Final questions:

What should I have done?

What can I do now?

What should I watch out for?

Please send any comments, questions, advice, or chortles to

Martin Cohen (mcohen@nrtc.northrop.com - 128.99.0.1)

Thanks

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (09/02/88)

In article <3940@louie.udel.EDU> mcohen@nrtc.northrop.com (Marty Cohen) writes:
>My basic problem is that a parent directory somehow became a child
>of one of its own child directories. When I closed them, they
>vanished and I can no longer find them. A "dir opt a" from the
>root directory shows no trace.

I'd try disksalv before anything else. As long as you havent written to
the disk since, disksalv will probably be able to get them.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  (Looking for his towel)           {backbone|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (09/04/88)

In article <3940@louie.udel.EDU> mcohen@nrtc.northrop.com (Marty Cohen) writes:
>My basic problem is that a parent directory somehow became a child
>of one of its own child directories. When I closed them, they
>vanished and I can no longer find them. A "dir opt a" from the
>root directory shows no trace.

You may be able to recover your directories by formatting a disk and doing a
simple "copy df0: to df1:"

Files have mysteriously disappeared from several of my disks lately.  The
programs will still run, if I remember the exact path and spelling.  Data is
still available under the same conditions - but they refuse to show up in
a directory or list, and they will not accept icons or any such.  They did
not behave properly after a DISKCOPY, but copying the material to another
disk freed them.  Wonder why they do this?

Betty Clay
.........killer!pollux!bjc