[comp.sys.amiga] Draw Package Information Request

hb@pbhya.PacBell.COM (Henry Bitter) (08/25/88)

Hi,
	I am considering buying the AEGIS "draw plus" package to do some
business graphics (organization charts, simple diagrams, etc).  I would
appreciate some comments on "draw plus" from some users.  Specifically,
I would like to know if it is worth the money ($150) for what it does.
I have not been able to see the package in operation, only read about it.
If you are a user, please let me know your comments.
If you know of a better package please let me know its name.

Henry Bitter

* Pacific Bell  *         (415) 823-2836
San Ramon, Calif.
{ }!pacbell!pbhya!hb

If I had a disclaimer I wouldn't give it away !

In article <18651@pbhya.PacBell.COM> hb@pbhya.PacBell.COM (Henry Bitter) writes:
>Hi, I am considering buying the AEGIS "draw plus" package to do some
>business graphics (organization charts, simple diagrams, etc).  I would
>appreciate some comments on "draw plus" from some users.

For what you want to do IntroCAD is Much better (and half the price). Draw
Plus has some powerful features but it is slower than molasses in the cold.
I have it and cannot reccomend it to anyone. If you want a "real" cad
package look into X-CAD, and for cheap try IntroCAD.

--Chuck McManis

dml@loral.UUCP (Dave Lewis) (08/27/88)

In article <65771@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <18651@pbhya.PacBell.COM> hb@pbhya.PacBell.COM (Henry Bitter) writes:
>>Hi, I am considering buying the AEGIS "draw plus" package to do some
>>business graphics (organization charts, simple diagrams, etc).  I would
>>appreciate some comments on "draw plus" from some users.

  I'd say Draw Plus is the best of the affordable CAD programs. $500 ($400 mail
order) ain't affordable, and that's where the other CAD's are hanging out. I'd
rather use MS-DOG than spend that much. (And have you looked at AutoCAD? To get
equal features to Draw Plus, you'd have to spend about $1200!)

  I use Draw Plus for a lot of things; I've measured my apartment and created
a floor plan drawing (using the feet/inches option of Units) with furniture
outlines and it beats the *#@&%* out of scraps of paper. I've done some
pretty complex schematics, and made circuit board master artwork on a plotter.
I've entered a few logos, and can plot them out any size.

>For what you want to do IntroCAD is Much better (and half the price). Draw
>Plus has some powerful features but it is slower than molasses in the cold.
>I have it and cannot reccomend it to anyone. If you want a "real" cad
>package look into X-CAD, and for cheap try IntroCAD.

  I've looked at IntroCAD and it won't do half of what I want. X-CAD costs too
damn much and doesn't do a whole lot more than Draw Plus. What do you want a
"real" CAD to do, anyway? 3-D? Aegis is just now releasing Modeler-3D, which
can read and write Draw Plus drawing files. Net lists? Schematic capture? Nice
features, but only if you're designing PC boards, which most people don't.
Expensive features, too; the only CAD's I've seen offering them cost >$1000.
Speed? Well, Draw Plus does take its time, because it's doing a lot:

1. All (I mean, ALL) the drawing is done using floating-point trigonometric
    calculations at 6-digit precision. A simple 68000 running at <8MC is gonna
    eat it big doing that, even though the blitter is used for actual rendering.
2. Circles are drawn as 72-sided regular polygons. You get to calculate these
    twice; once to find the vertices, again to draw the lines.
3. Text is drawn, not bitmapped. The character definitions are obtained from a
    file (Stroke.font) and stored in a table.

  There are reasons for all this, and the biggest one is QUALITY. Draw Plus
draws EXACTLY what you tell it to, every time, no excuses. I have used Draw
Plus to make circuit board artwork, with excellent results. Using a Hewlett-
Packard 7580B plotter, the accuracy and repeatability errors were too small
to measure with my (admittedly limited) instruments. I am currently working
on some multi-layer boards; I expect no problems.

  There are ways to avoid the worst effects of the slow rendering by removing
the causes. For example, a 72-sided polygon is overkill for most circles. I
have written a program that will calculate a regular polygon of specified
radius and number of vertices and output it in Draw Plus PART file format. One
of these days I'm going to finish up the user interface (which is currently
useable for hackers but hell for users) and post it to the net. Drawing an 8-
or 12-sided polygon takes almost no time.

  Draw Plus supports 250 layers; I generally consolidate the time-consuming
objects on a few layers and don't display them when they're not needed. Taking
the PCB artwork as an example, the IC and connector pads tend to be both slow
and numerous. To speed up development, I put the actual pads on an undisplayed
layer and work with slightly undersized rectangular outlines. This also makes
the drawing appear less cluttered, and easier to work with. IntroCAD does not
support layers. To me, useless.

--
  Isn't it interesting how, the more Intel "enhances" the 80x86, the more it
looks like a 68000? Here's to Motorola for getting it right the first time!

rstiles@pnet02.cts.com (Rick Stiles) (08/28/88)

In article <14595@pnet02.amiga/usenet> dml@loral.UUCP (Dave Lewis) writes:
>I've looked at IntroCAD and it won't do half of what I want. X-CAD costs too
>damn much and doesn't do a whole lot more than Draw Plus. What do you want a
>"real" CAD to do, anyway? 3-D? Aegis is just now releasing Modeler-3D, which

It looks to me that the ONLY program you really looked at and are using is
Aegis Draw. I own and have used extensively Aegis Draw/Draw+, Dynamic CAD and
XCAD and I can tell you that XCAD is by far the BEST CAD program for the Amiga
and equals or surpasses Autocad in 2D features. By comparison Aegis Draw is
just that, a line drawing program and very slow at that. I had high hopes for
Dynamic CAD but MicroIllusions has completely abandoned it. In a recent issue
of PC Mag they reviewed and run benchmarks on all the high end CAD programs
for the PC. The benchmarks were done on a 8Mhz PC-AT WITH an 80287 math
coprocessor. There were 12 programs reviewed from $3000-$5800 not counting
prices of options. I run the same benchmarks on a stock Amiga 2000 and XCAD
beat AutoCAD both in speed and 2D features.

XCAD is by far the only game in town when it comes to CAD programs for the
Amiga, and if price is what bothers you (which shouldn't be when you compare
it to features/price of PC based CAD programs), Abel supply sells it at $323.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"  Mr Spoc

Star-Treck  The OLD generation

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!rstiles
INET: rstiles@pnet02.cts.com

dml@loral.UUCP (Dave Lewis) (08/30/88)

In article <6006@gryphon.CTS.COM> rstiles@pnet02.cts.com (Rick Stiles) writes:
>XCAD and I can tell you that XCAD is by far the BEST CAD program for the Amiga
>and equals or surpasses Autocad in 2D features. By comparison Aegis Draw is

  And I repeat, what does X-CAD do that Aegis Draw + doesn't? Faster drawing is
not enough.

>I had high hopes for Dynamic CAD but MicroIllusions has completely abandoned

  Yeah, I tried Dynamic at the dealer, couldn't get it to even draw a line.
Hopeless user interface, no-see-um color combination that COULDN'T BE CHANGED
by the user (dark gray background, invisible magenta lines), useless manual.
Lots of great hype in their ads, though.

--
 Segments are for worms! -- and most worms have more than 16 segments.
--

rstiles@pnet02.cts.com (Rick Stiles) (09/01/88)

writes:
>>XCAD and I can tell you that XCAD is by far the BEST CAD program for the
>>Amiga and equals or surpasses Autocad in 2D features. By comparison Aegis
>>Draw is....
>>
>And I repeat, what does X-CAD do that Aegis Draw + doesn't? Faster drawing is
>not enough.

As always if its good for you, then fine. But if you ever have the time, visit
a friend or your friendly local dealer and play with XCAD a little. I think
you will enjoy the surprise of playing with a very powerful CAD system. If you
ever played with MEDUSA on a Prime super-mini then you will find XCAD very
easy
and familiar to use.

Ok, lets see about features:

Graphical & Keyboard entry of Entity position
     Rectangular coordinates
        Absolute, Relative
     Polar coordinates
        Absolute, Relative
     Incremental coordinates
     Incremental Radius
     Incremental Angle
     Grid Snapping
        GRIDON, GRIDOFF
     Free-Hand Locations
     Orthogonal Locks
        X, Y, XY, LOCKOFF
     Arrays
     Reference location
     Change and automatic UNIT conversion. mm,cm,m,km,in,ft,ml
     Point-on-entity locations
     END - snap to the end-point or vertice of an entity
     ORG - snap to origin point of an entity
     MID - snap to the mid-point of an entity
     NEAR - snap to the nearest point of an entity
     INTOF - snap to the intersection of two entities. Intersection could be
             any combination of cpoints, lines, strings, polygons, arcs,
             ellipses etc.
There are about 20 more and you can use any combination of these to define
your points. Also you can zoom in/out, generate, include/exclude entities
*while* you are defining your points and so on...

Verify entity, Measure Angle, Measure Area, Measure Distance.

Edit commands: Break (Intersection, Against), Trim (Intersection, Against
               Length), Stretch, Delete, Exclude, Include, Move (Copy,
               to ActiveLayer, to ActiveDepth), Rotate (Copy, Angle, Ntimes,
               no text rotate), Scale (Copy, no text scale, no dimension
               scale), Mirror (Copy, no text mirror), Stretch Window....
               All entity position command can be used for point id.

Inter-Family Relationships, Family Immediate Parents Equals Children All

Viewports within a sheet. Makes real size projects for A-E size plotters
easy. Multiple viewports at *any* unit sizes are allowed.

User defined xhatch/patterns/fonts. Fonts can be outlined, filled,
patternfilled, colorfilled, slant, proportional, uniform, left/center/right
justify, angled, aligned and so on..... All or any of the above.

Associative dimensioning.

Dimensioning - Horizontal, vertical, linear, point, angular, diametric, radial
               line terminators user-definable, leaders, precision, prefix,
               suffix, decimal, imperial, fractions, fixed, fonts, aligned
               ....... options too numerous to list. You get the picture.

Numerous zoom and pan options, a user menu design interface, scripts, and
journal files.
Intersection cleanup, and chamfer are easy and accurate.

Entity TYPES: CPOINT, LINE, STRING, CIRCLE, ARC, FILLET, ELLIPSE, SPLINE,
              POLYGON, XHATCH, TEXT, TNODE, DIMENSION, SYMBOL

Line
     Automatic polygon closing
     Automatic continuation of line command
     Variable thickness, style, hardfont, softfont, depth, layer, length
     Perpendicular, Angle, Tangential, Parallel, Rectangle

Arc
     Draw arc with variable Hardfont (style/thickness), Softfont (options
     too many to list)
     Draw arc (options:) Parallel, specify radius, specify start angle,
                         specify end angle..............

............... I think am taking too much net bandwidth so I'll ended here
saying that they support graphics tablets, and since it all comes down to  you
"are as good as your output" , XCAD has rasterizers for Laserjets at 300dpi
Xerox, Epsons, G500 thermal transfer printer, Kyocera laser (I guess a
European printer), HPGL, Houston Inst, and Roland plotters or you can use
any of the preference printer drivers. All in all a program that is worth
getting an Amiga for. From what I hear *RUMOR MODE ON* it will even get a
face lift with 3D support, a macro language, a drop of the dongle and who
knows what else. *RUMOR MODE OFF*

I use Xcad for schematic capture, PCB design, floor plan layout for my wife
and I have also did the blue prints of a plastic case for a IBM PC
manufacturer add on. With *all* CAD programs you can get work done. It makes
a difference if you can do it in an hour or in 3 days. High productivity
is first on my list. For example, I started looking for a CAD program
because I wanted to design a PCB. (For those reading all these, Pro-Net and
Pro-Board may serve your needs better if all you want is schematic capture
and PCB layout *and* you have $1000 to spend.) It took 3 weeks to do it with
Aegis draw+ and a not so accurate output, about 3 weeks and a lot of hair
pulling with Dynamic CAD, and only *2.5* days with XCAD and a *VERY ACCURATE*
output in that. XCAD allowed me to define my pads and eventually my 16/14/28
and 24 dip symbols at a small enough grid that Draw+ and Dynamic CAD couldn't
handle. The keyboard/graphic command interface increases productivity tenfold.
Time to learn the CAD programs is *not* included.

I don't know but after writing this message I came out with the feeling that
there is *no* comparison between Draw+ and XCAD. Its like comparing Generic
CAD with AutoCAD.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Taurus, I'm just a satisfied customer.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"   Mr. Spoc

Star Trek - The OLD generation

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!rstiles
INET: rstiles@pnet02.cts.com

thad@cup.portal.com (09/03/88)

Rick,

Have you verified X-CAD operation on a 68020 or 68030 equipped Amiga?

Reason I ask is that X-CAD is DONGLE-PROTECTED (boo, hiss) and there's
been some discussion recently of CPU-speed-dependent dongles.

I've gotten weary of buying software that doesn't function on *ALL* Amigas.

If anyone wants a list of stuff that I've verified doesn't function on an
020 or 030 equipped Amiga, lemme know.

I haven't found much sensitity to a 68010; most of the 020/030 problems are
due to self-modifying code.

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

rstiles@pnet02.cts.com (Rick Stiles) (09/04/88)

>Reason I ask is that X-CAD is DONGLE-PROTECTED (boo, hiss) and there's
>been some discussion recently of CPU-speed-dependent dongles.

You are absolutely right Thad. The company *is* aware of the problem and they
said (at least to this guy) that they will be dropping the dongle and copy
protection in general for the next release. I have been complaining to them
since day one.

I hate copy protection and double hate copy protection that is CPU speed
dependent (iiiik), but if I had to do it over again, I still would have
bought XCAD. Its an incredibly powerful program and reminds me of my college
days with Prime and Medusa.

Productivity software should not be copy protected and SHOULD NOT BE PIRATED,
which is true for all software.

Dave Lewis says "Real CAD programs don't have dongles"

                           Copy Protected??

RoboCAD      2D  - $2000 -  NO
FastCAD      2D  - $2295 -  NO
CADvance     2.5D- $2795 - YES
AutoCAD      2.5D- $2850 -  NO<-- PC Magazine Editor's choice
MicroStation 3D  - $2995 - YES
VersaCAD     3D  - $2995 - YES
CADkey       3D  - $3195 - YES<-- PC Magazine Editor's choice
DataCAD      2D  - $3195 - YES
Arris        3D  - $3850 - YES
CADmax       3D  - $3950 - YES
DrawBase     3D  - $4995 - YES
Personal     3D  - $5800 - YES
  Designer

All of the YES above *do* have dongles (little gadgets that plug into the
printer port) and are all *REAL CAD PROGRAMS*.
Dongles never stopped me from using the best software around especially
from a company that is willing to listen.
By the way, TAURUS in all their adds and the package itself does say:
"NO DONGLE OPTION".