[comp.sys.amiga] Who is afraid of Amiga? Apple?

It has been reported on a number of networks that Apple, Inc. has
sent out a letter to a number of its dealers (part of the ASCCI Group)
that threatens to drop them as Apple dealers in case they pick up the
Amiga as part of the recent CBM/ASCII Group deal.   If these rumors are
true, they could clearly be considered "unfair trade business" and therefore
possible to legal action.  Can anybody from Apple comment on this, and
confirm or deny the allegations?  Comments from anybody connected to
any of the involved dealers are also welcome.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (09/05/88)

In article <11978@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>It has been reported on a number of networks that Apple, Inc. has
>sent out a letter to a number of its dealers (part of the ASCCI Group)
>that threatens to drop them as Apple dealers in case they pick up the
>Amiga as part of the recent CBM/ASCII Group deal.   If these rumors are
>true, they could clearly be considered "unfair trade business" and therefore
>possible to legal action.  Can anybody from Apple comment on this, and
>confirm or deny the allegations?  Comments from anybody connected to
>any of the involved dealers are also welcome.
>
>-- Marco Papa 'Doc'

The only way I can comment on this -- for better of for worse -- is to say
that I haven't heard anything about it. And I'm sure that there would be
a flurry of consternation around the offices if anyone had heard it.

Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\
Developer Technical Support                           pyramid!sun !apple!keith
Apple Computer                                             decwrl/
"You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"

jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) (09/07/88)

From article <11978@oberon.USC.EDU>, by papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa):
> It has been reported on a number of networks that Apple, Inc. has
> sent out a letter to a number of its dealers (part of the ASCCI Group)
> that threatens to drop them as Apple dealers in case they pick up the
> Amiga ...
>
> -- Marco Papa 'Doc'

	I don't know about any current goings on, but I remember the
response when I asked those at Computer Attic (Palo Alto) why the
Amigas were out of the windows and given more minimalistic floor
space. (This was shortly after Apple salesmen came in with their
three-piece-suits). The response generally was that Apple placed
pressure on them to push Apple only stuff. Also, their Amiga print
adds STOPPED cold, which I understand was also part of pressure from
Apple. They dropped from being the biggest Amiga print promoter to
in-store-only sales. I did see one Amiga print ad over a year later.

	This is all to be considered third person heresay, as I don't
want to face the cold, cool wrath of Apples' legal department, and am
just repeating something that I heard over two years ago... (Even
though I believe it's gospel).

-Jim Becker
ex-Amiga  Developer
X Windows Developer