[comp.sys.amiga] Tek 4105 Emulators for Amigas

jas@mungina.cs.mu.oz (John Shepherd) (08/08/88)

Does anyone have any information on availability/suppliers for Tektronix
4105 emulators to run on the Amiga? Either PD or commercial ... if source
code, should be able to compile under Lattice-C (not sure which version,
I'm posting for a friend).

I haven't been reading this newsgroup lately, so I apologise if this
question has been recently answered. Please reply via email and I will
summarise to the newsgroup if there appears to be enough interest.

Thanks in advance, jas
John Shepherd, Department of Computer Science, University of Melbourne
CSNET: jas%munnari.oz@australia  ARPA: jas%munnari.oz@uunet.uu.net
UUCP: ...!munnari!jas

hugh@edhnic.UUCP (Hugh Gamble) (08/11/88)

In article <2280@munnari.oz>, jas@mungina.cs.mu.oz (John Shepherd) writes:
> Does anyone have any information on availability/suppliers for Tektronix
> 4105 emulators to run on the Amiga? Either PD or commercial ... if source
[stuff deleted]
> Thanks in advance, jas
> John Shepherd, Department of Computer Science, University of Melbourne
> CSNET: jas%munnari.oz@australia  ARPA: jas%munnari.oz@uunet.uu.net
> UUCP: ...!munnari!jas

There could be real *business* applications for a 4207 emulator.
a tek 4207 costs around $6k CDN.  an A500 should be able to emulate
one for about 1/3 that (with a couple limitations).

I don't want to write one, but if someone does, I expect I'd
buy at least a copy for evaluation & maybe a bunch if it were
any good.

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
|  Hugh D. Gamble  (416) 581-4354  UUCP: ...!utzoo!edhnic!hugh                |
|  There's no computer I can't push to it's limits.                           |
|  Any computer can push me to *my* limits.                                   |
|  (P.S. Generic Disclaimers)                                                 |

mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (Maurice LeBrun) (08/22/88)

In article <2280@munnari.oz>, jas@mungina.cs.mu.oz (John Shepherd) writes:
> Does anyone have any information on availability/suppliers for Tektronix
> 4105 emulators to run on the Amiga? Either PD or commercial ... if source
> code, should be able to compile under Lattice-C (not sure which version,

VLT is a very good public domain vt100/tek4105 emulator for the Amiga,
written by Marvin Weinstein and Willy Langeveld of SLAC.  It is built
upon DBW vt100 2.6 but has lots of nice extensions.  Like 50 function
keys, an ARexx port (!), XMODEM/1k, for example.  The color palette (8
colors for vt100; 16 for the 4105) is configurable from either the
startup script or from within the program (looks like the PD 'palette'
code).  Graphics screen is initially closed and can be closed via a
menu option after working on it minimize memory usage.  I've had no
problems with Tek4010 plots.  It does not do a full 4105 emulation yet
though -- no color fills :-(.  Documentation is 60 pages in TeX (ascii
docs available too).  I find the program to be much better than either
Diga! or A-Talk-Plus, which I also own.  My only real complaint
concerns the absence of screen front/back gadgets (the authors prefer
it that way), but you can use a PD screen-flipping keymap (like
FunKeys or WKeys) to get around this.  It can be found on BIX and
maybe soon I can post it to GEnie.  Don't think it's been on any Fish
disks.  Oh, and the authors continue to improve the code, though they
haven't released the source yet (Willy says he will when he feels
they're done with it).

Maurice LeBrun, Institute for Fusion Studies, University of Texas at Austin
  Internet: mjl%fusion.decnet@chpc.brc.utexas.edu
     or	    mjl%uta.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa
"If cows ate plankton, whales would starve" -- old Net saying

chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) (08/24/88)

In article <5273@ut-emx.UUCP> mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (Maurice LeBrun) writes:
)
)VLT is a very good public domain vt100/tek4105 emulator for the Amiga,
)				.
)				.
)                               .                        I've had no
)problems with Tek4010 plots.

I have.  When using it with DISSPLA drivers on a number of host machines,
VLT constantly drops out of graphics mode and spews characters all over
the screen.  This does not happen with real 4010's, or with VT240's
emulating 4010's or with A-Talk or with the PD version of vt100 2.6
with tek support added (aka version 2.65).

To me this makes VLT useless.  With so many other functional products out
there I haven't bothered trying to get someone to fix it.  Perhaps its
already been fixed.  What's the most current release?  I got a copy about
3 months ago; I'll try to determine its release when I get home.
--
-  It is better for civilization to be going down the drain than to be  -
-  coming up it.                                        -- Henry Allen  -

mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (Maurice LeBrun) (08/26/88)

In article <269@gtss.UUCP>, chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) writes:
> In article <5273@ut-emx.UUCP> mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (Maurice LeBrun) writes:
> )
> )VLT is a very good public domain vt100/tek4105 emulator for the Amiga,
> )				.
> )				.
> )                               .                        I've had no
> )problems with Tek4010 plots.
>
> I have.  When using it with DISSPLA drivers on a number of host machines,
> VLT constantly drops out of graphics mode and spews characters all over
> the screen.  This does not happen with real 4010's, or with VT240's
> emulating 4010's or with A-Talk or with the PD version of vt100 2.6
> with tek support added (aka version 2.65).

I forwarded the message about the VLT Tek bug to Willy Langeveld (some users on
mfenet had some problems also) and got this reply:
          Yes that problem was reported to me by Jim Crotinger. It is fixed in
the latest version (3.649, now available on BIX). Jim sent me a uue'd capture
file demonstrating the problem. Apparently some host (for no good reason at
all, I might add!) pad some records out with NULLs or even ctrl-C NULL
combinations. Since none of the hosts around here do that, I'd never noticed.
VLT used to assume something really bad had gone wrong and reset itself to
alpha mode. Now it ignores spurious control stuff in vector mode and ought
to have no more problems on funny hosts.
          No, I don't have usenet access, so if you'd be kind enough to
forward this to the people that had problems, I'd appreciate it...
          Also I was glad to see someone find the answer to the reported
filerequester-opens-on-Workbench problem. Indeed, VLT requires ARP 1.1.

          Thanks for the information!
                 Willy.
Willy can be reached on bitnet as WGLP09@SLAC.BITNET (that's how I
reach him, anyway).  The file requester problem he alluded to occured
if you ran vlt with an older version of ARP -- file requesters came up
on the wrong screen (Workbench).

Maurice LeBrun, Institute for Fusion Studies, University of Texas at Austin
  Internet: mjl%fusion.decnet@chpc.brc.utexas.edu	Phone: 512-442-7636 H
     or	    mjl%uta.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa			       512-471-6149 W
"If cows ate plankton, whales would starve" -- old Net saying

chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) (08/29/88)

In article <5403@ut-emx.UUCP> mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (Maurice LeBrun) writes:
)In article <269@gtss.UUCP>, chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) writes:
                                             ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
This is me, in case you missed the flow of the conversation.

)> In article <5273@ut-emx.UUCP> mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (Maurice LeBrun) writes:
)> )
)> )VLT is a very good public domain vt100/tek4105 emulator for the Amiga,
)> )				.
)> )                            .                           I've had no
)> )problems with Tek4010 plots.
)>
)> I have.  When using it with DISSPLA drivers on a number of host machines,
)
)I forwarded the message about the VLT Tek bug to Willy Langeveld
)(some users on mfenet had some problems also) and got this reply:
       ^^^^
I was that masked man, too.

)------------------------------------------------------------------------------
)          Yes that problem was reported to me by Jim Crotinger. It is fixed in
)the latest version (3.649, now available on BIX). Jim sent me a uue'd capture

That's what I call service.  I posted a rough description of the problem at
MFECC at Livermore, Jim suggested I uuencode a capture file demonstrating
the problem and send it to Willy, and I just went back to using other
emulators like the slug I am.  He tracked down the circumstances that produced
the problem, reproduced it, and sent a demo of it to Willy, who apparently has
fixed it.  I just got version 3.649 this morning, because Jim sent me email
informing me that he had posted the new version at MFECC and that it supposedly
fixed my problem.  I'll check soon.

Kudos to them both.

Next time I have a VLT problem I think I'll just go to the restroom while at
the movies and mention it to the guy at the next urinal and see how long it
takes before the VLT network has the problem tracked down and cleaned up. :-)

On second thought, I'll go to the trouble to send a uuencoded capture file
to Willy.

It is a very nice program by the way, and since I just got AREXX it will
be even nicer.

--

mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (Maurice LeBrun) (08/30/88)

In article <270@gtss.UUCP>, chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) writes:

> Next time I have a VLT problem I think I'll just go to the restroom while at
> the movies and mention it to the guy at the next urinal and see how long it
> takes before the VLT network has the problem tracked down and cleaned up. :-)
>
> On second thought, I'll go to the trouble to send a uuencoded capture file
> to Willy.

In that case, here's his CORRECT network address (incorrectly given in
my previous posting):
	WGLP09@SLACVM.BITNET

Yeah, Jim and I usually swap the "honor" of downloading it off Bix to
keep current, and will try to keep the mfe amiga board up-to-date.  Cheers!

Maurice LeBrun, Institute for Fusion Studies, University of Texas at Austin
  Internet: mjl%fusion.decnet@chpc.brc.utexas.edu	Phone: 512-442-7636 H
     or	    mjl%uta.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa			       512-471-6149 W
"If cows ate plankton, whales would starve" -- Net wisdom?

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (J. Dow) (08/30/88)

In article <5530@ut-emx.UUCP> mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (Maurice LeBrun) writes:
>In article <270@gtss.UUCP>, chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) writes:
>>
>> Next time I have a VLT problem I think I'll just go to the restroom while at
>> the movies and mention it to the guy at the next urinal and see how long it
>> takes before the VLT network has the problem tracked down and cleaned up. :-)
>>
>> On second thought, I'll go to the trouble to send a uuencoded capture file
>> to Willy.
>>
>In that case, here's his CORRECT network address (incorrectly given in
>my previous posting):
>	WGLP09@SLACVM.BITNET
>
>Yeah, Jim and I usually swap the "honor" of downloading it off Bix to
>keep current, and will try to keep the mfe amiga board up-to-date.  Cheers!
>
>Maurice LeBrun, Institute for Fusion Studies, University of Texas at Austin
>  Internet: mjl%fusion.decnet@chpc.brc.utexas.edu	Phone: 512-442-7636 H
>     or	    mjl%uta.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa			       512-471-6149 W
>"If cows ate plankton, whales would starve" -- Net wisdom?

On bix he is "langeveld". He's one of the more pleasant folks I know.

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and					quit playing with dragons and knights.

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (09/07/88)

In article <270@gtss.UUCP> chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) writes:
>Next time I have a VLT problem I think I'll just go to the restroom while at
>the movies and mention it to the guy at the next urinal and see how long it
>takes before the VLT network has the problem tracked down and cleaned up. :-)

>It is a very nice program by the way, and since I just got AREXX it will
>be even nicer.

Which brings up a question.  Just what programs out there have ARexx
ports built into them?  I know of a few, but I bet there are more.
Let't try to compile a list of all known programs that support ARexx.
If you use one, or know of one, or are working on on, or adding a port
to an existing program, drop me email, and I'll summarize to the net.
Please include the name of the program, a description, and the status,
i.e., "I'm adding the port, it should be done next month," or "It's
commercial, and available now," or whatever.

Anybody ARexx'ifying Matt and Steve's Shell?  (Please???  It shouldn't
be hard...)

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (09/08/88)

In article <12359@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
>Which brings up a question.  Just what programs out there have ARexx
>ports built into them?  I know of a few, but I bet there are more.
yeah, like a paint program would be real nice now that
microfich filer supports it. You can quick scan through your pictures,
pick one to edit, and have paint and mff talk back and forth about
it. I think that would be very, very nice.
ron
P.S. and all the other goodies, like a bibtex that queries mff, and so on...