[comp.sys.amiga] CMI board, and IBM monitor woes

steelie@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Jim Howard) (09/01/88)

I was planning to buy the CMI board with the math processor
to help speed up some ray tracing I am doing... Im using
QRT, which suprisingly enough does a decent picture in about 30
minutes.  Can anyone guesstimate what the speedup will be?

Also, can someone _please_ inform me as to where I can get
a cable to allow me to display my IBM ega graphics output
on my amiga monitor.   I could probably make it myself,
but I really dont want to bother if it is availible already.

(no flames about my *BM !!)

   UUCP:  ....!crash!pro-charlotte!steelie    | Pro-Charlotte - (704) 567-0029
   ARPA:  crash!pro-charlotte!steelie@nosc.mil| 300/1200/2400 baud  24 hrs/day
   INET:  steelie@pro-charlotte.cts.com       | Log in as "register"

billc@percival.UUCP (William Coldwell) (09/04/88)

In article <3384@crash.cts.com> steelie@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Jim Howard) writes:
>I was planning to buy the CMI board with the math processor
>to help speed up some ray tracing I am doing... Im using
>QRT, which suprisingly enough does a decent picture in about 30
>minutes.  Can anyone guesstimate what the speedup will be?
>
>Also, can someone _please_ inform me as to where I can get
>   UUCP:  ....!crash!pro-charlotte!steelie    | Pro-Charlotte - (704) 567-0029
>   ARPA:  crash!pro-charlotte!steelie@nosc.mil| 300/1200/2400 baud  24 hrs/day

Well, it depends on whether QRT is compiled using IEEE functions so that
the 68881(2) will be able to cruise... You can notice a decrease in the
amount of time that it takes to calculate with the processor at 14MHz.
I believe that I was getting in the area of 80% or so increase in speed
when I was doing the preliminary tests on the Accelerator.

 Bill

 Just 'cause I work for 'em, don't mean I speak for 'em (or vice versa).
.
 {Mr LineEater, will you please eat this line?}

--
    William J. Coldwell - Amiga Attitude Adjuster {aka Software Developer}
    (503) 684-9300 ...tektronix!reed!percival!billc  "Blame the hardware."

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (09/07/88)

steelie@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Jim Howard) writes:
>Also, can someone _please_ inform me as to where I can get
>a cable to allow me to display my IBM ega graphics output
>on my amiga monitor.   I could probably make it myself,
>but I really dont want to bother if it is availible already.

You CAN'T display EGA graphics on an Amiga monitor, unless you have
a multi-sync monitor.  The sync rates are VASTLY different.  And if
you HAVE a multi-sync monitor, you have to tell us which one before
we can help.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

rodmar@ga.ecn.purdue.edu (Rodney L Martin) (09/10/88)

I have a couple of questions about CMI's 68000 2x board.

I have the Spirit inboard installed in an A1000.  Can the 68000 2x board be
jury rigged to work with the Spirit board?  Such as:
    Spirit Board --->  68000 2x Board  --->  Motherboard

I realize this would require modification to the Spirit board.

If so, would I have to change PAL chips also?

Any suggestions??  Thanks!

          Rod Martin