[comp.sys.amiga] Wedge and FFS

ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) (08/30/88)

In article <8808251528.AA24816@PTT.LCS.MIT.EDU> atheybey@PTT.LCS.MIT.EDU writes:
]Finally, a seperate question.  I have seen ads for controllers that
]state "supports the new FFS", and I think that someone has commented
]that the Wedge won't support the FFS.  Such statements confuse me.  I
]thought that the disk controller and its low-level drivers are
]responsible for reading and writing disk blocks only, and so should
]support any sort of file system.  Any comments?

When I talked to one of the techs working on the wedge months ago, they told
me that they had FFS running now.  I wouldn't think that the few revisions
on 1.3 have made it incompatible.  So, if they had FFS working a few months
ago, I would think that it would run when 1.3 is released (god knows when.)

--
------  Walter Reed  ------   + uunet!ndsuvax!ncreed or ncreed@ndsuvax.BITNET
"There's no point in being    +      or ncreed@plains.NoDak.edu

Dave@daami.wimsey.bc.ca (Dave Allen) (09/10/88)

The WEDGE definatly works well with the Gama versions of 1.3. Speeds are
excessive. Feels like a little sports car. There is no reason to think the
final version of 1.3 wont work like a hot damn.

Sorry I haven't been able to get my regular AMIGA feed to usenet but we
just got three kids and WEDGE sales are booming no that the 500 version is
shipping. This was supposed to be a slow summer but Europe and Australia
have many WEDGE owners now thanks to the many dealers that are ordering the
WEDGE.

>From: rleyden@pnet02.cts.com (Richard Leyden)
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
>Subject: hard disk hardware problem
>
>   I'm have a hard disk failure which is interesting because it suggests
>levels of complexity to the hard disk I hadn't appreciated before.  I have
>a Wedge board connected to a Miniscribe 3650.
>
>I was wondering if there is some way the Amiga could issue low level
>commands to drive causing the heads to move back to a range where it will
>work on its own.

We have a new program called BUFF which is included in the latest Wedgesys:
disk. I would advise sending us $5 and we'll send you the newest disk. You
can allways call the business number (604) 278-6694 for any technical info
on drives or controllers.

(hoping this is not too commercial)

Dave Allen     (604) 279-6694      The MIND LINK BBS - (604) 533-2312
               9651 Alexandra Rd.        8 Lines running Xenix
RSI    //      Richmond, B.C.
      //       Canada V6X 1C6      "thou shalt not offend the
  \\ //    or; (new UUCP address)   Net gods"
   \X/                                  - something to remember