[comp.sys.amiga] Hopalong

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (08/31/88)

There's one thing missing from the documentation for this program...

What values should one use for magnification?
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Ranjit Bhatnagar) (09/01/88)

In article <2581@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>There's one thing missing from the documentation for this program...
>
>What values should one use for magnification?

Whups!  So sorry.  I usually try out a new set of parameters at
magnification 10 - a large number of patterns fit very comfortably
at that magnification.  I have generally ranged between 0.1 and 10.

Another hint: to freeze the screen for doing a screendump, type
a space into the console window from which HOP was invoked, then
hit the close box on the Hopalong window... it won't be able to close
until you unfreeze the console window, because it wants to print
a diagnostic message.

I'm surprised no one has scoffed at me for using interlace mode
and then making every dot two pixels high.  Go ahead and scoff -
I had my reasons... :-)

Coming soon, if I can figure out how to initialize a temporary
raster without bombing my 2000 back to kickstart (and that takes
a LOT of work!) -- HodgePodge, the C Version.  (From Aug '88
Scientific American.)  Of course, if someone who knows what s/he's
doing gets it done first, I'd be glad to give up the fight.
O gurus, is there a faster way to convert an entire scan line of
a bitmap into an array of pixel values, or vice versa, then just
ReadPixel/WritePixel'ing each one?  (What I mean is: given an
array of integers, I want to plot a line of pixels whose colors
correspond to those integers, and I wanna do it FAST.)

	-rb

Ranjit Bhatnagar	ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	something!rutgers!eniac

"There's Classics, Philosophy, Art History, Geology, Physics, and Silly Walks."
=== === ===         Pa!  Molly's dead!  She ate some leaves!       === === ===
"Trespassers w"   ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	ucbvax!rutgers!super!eniac!...
Ranjit Bhatnagar, Graduate Student     I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.

In article <4957@netnews.upenn.edu> ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Ranjit Bhatnagar) writes:
>I'm surprised no one has scoffed at me for using interlace mode
>and then making every dot two pixels high.  Go ahead and scoff -
>I had my reasons... :-)

	I didn't scoff, but I scratched my head for a bit....

	I'd like to thank you for posting that program because it uncovered
some flakey hardware in my system.  When I recompiled it to use my
'020/'881, it started going bonkers.

	Which brings me to the reason I ported this over to c.s.a.t:  I'd
like to bounce off you people what I think is wrong with my setup.  I have
an ASDG Mr. C with 2M of RAM in it, and a Ronin Hurricane card 14.foo MHz
'020, 16 MHz '881.

	When the ASDG cage is disconnected, everything runs great;
'Hopalong', as well as all other programs, run without incident.  When I
plug in the cage, vanilla programs run fine.  However, programs utilizing
the '881 are prone to random crashes, typically exception code 4 (illegal
instruction), 11 (line F emulator), and to a lesser extent 10 (line A
emulator), as well as one instance of 14 (format error).  Precisely when
these crashes occur is random.

	I suspect this is due to a combination of the kickstart tower PAL's,
and a flakey '881.  If it were just the PAL's, then one would expect ordinary
code running on the '020 to bomb randomly as well (which it once did before
I had the kickstart tower PAL's grounded).  If, on the other hand, it were
just the '881, then one would expect the random crashes to persist without
the cage attached.  Ergo:  It's both the PAL's and the '881 that need
looking at.

	Is my theory correct?  Is it close?  Am I from Neptune on this one?

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

thad@cup.portal.com (09/03/88)

Leo,

One thing I immediately noticed when I replaced my CSA setup with the
Hurricane is that numerous parts (e.g. connector, capacitors, etc.) on the
Hurricane CPU and RAM boards are HIGHER than the plane of the 5 support
posts (of the A1000).  Thus, when you tighten down the RFI shield, bizarre
forces and torque are applied to the Hurricane setup.  SOME parts on the
Hurricane (like the RAM's jumpers) "could" actually make intermittent
contact with the underside of the RFI shield causing one's system to emit
vulgar noises while flashing bright blue, green and yellow.

Thus, I've pulled the RFI shield and have been carefully using an Adel
nibbling tool to remove metal in the area above the Hurricane cards; to this
modified RFI shield I intend welding a flat piece of metal that'll be in the
same plane at the top of the power supply and the internal disk drive.

Also, you "could" be experiencing intermittent shorting to the WCS
daughterboard (even if you place plastic spacing sheets between the WCS
and the Hurricane.  What I discovered to be ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL was to
trim *ALL* the leads on the "topside" (solder side) of the WCS and on the
bottom (solder side) of the Hurricane since some of the leads of the IC
sockets and other components WILL pierce insulation.

If you're coming to the FAUG meeting Sept.6 and don't mind waiting until
after dinner (~1AM), you're welcome to see my setup; I'm 4 miles further
south than the FAUG meeting place (and adjacent to I-280).

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

In article <8712@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com writes:
>[ ... ] when you tighten down the RFI shield, bizarre
>forces and torque are applied to the Hurricane setup.  SOME parts on the
>Hurricane (like the RAM's jumpers) "could" actually make intermittent
>contact with the underside of the RFI shield causing one's system to emit
>vulgar noises while flashing bright blue, green and yellow.

	Nope.  The problems persist with the cover completely removed.

>Also, you "could" be experiencing intermittent shorting to the WCS
>daughterboard [ ... ]

	Well, after spending 3+ hours at Ronin's offices with my setup, we
came to the following determination:  The system will usually fail when you
attempt to run '881 opcodes out of the ASDG RAM card when it's warm.
(Standing on my head had no effect.)  They were unable to trace the cause of
the bad interaction.  Both the '020 and the '881 were swapped, and a PAL on
the Ronin card was replaced.  It still frotzes out.  We did not try swapping
the whole Ronin board.

	I figure it will either cost me $5 or $1500 to fix this.  Either I
can put a muffin fan inside the ASDG cage to keep it cool enough to prevent
failure; or I'll have to buy 2M worth of Ronin's 32-bit memory, or an A2000
and a 2000-version Ronin card (since this sort of weird interaction doesn't
happen in a 2000).

	I'm hoping the fan works.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

thad@cup.portal.com (09/12/88)

Leo,

Without wishing to insult anyone, I presume the 68020 and the 68881 *ARE*
the 16MHz parts; if not, ...

What "revision" of the A1000 mother-/daughter-boards are installed in your
system?

Did anyone measure the "+5VDC" with the Hurricane installed?  Reason I ask
is that ALL the external devices on my system (except the A1300 GenLock) are
powered from an external source; this includes the ComSpec AX2000, the Supra
4x4, the Escort 2, and both external A1010 floppy drives.  I have the Hurricane
and 4MB of their RAM installed and all is OK.  Maybe you need some Cramolin
(I'm *NOT* joking).