[comp.sys.amiga] Modula-2 ? No thanks !

rkl@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (09/09/88)

In article <3403@crash.cts.com>, haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:

>>>Yes!!! I would like to see Turbo Pascal 4.0 because it is very excellent
>>>for compilers! When it will come here? Does anyone know about Turbo
>>>Pascal Description? Thank!
[above English is a bit suspect]

>>Please post this info, since I also would like to see TP4 for
>>my Amy.
>>

>         Have you two heard about Modula-2?  M2 is the successor language to
> PASCAL, and is is syntactically very similiar.  M2 allows system level
> control.

AAArrrggghhh !!! If I hear Modula-2 mentioned again whenever anyone brings up
the subject of Turbo Pascal 4 on the Amiga (now that's what I'D vapourware !),
I'll SCREAM ! Modula-2 is NOT an adequate substitute for a good extended
Pascal (aka Turbo Pascal 4 or VAX Pascal) - it's a far fussier language and
the string handling is non-existent. I now INSIST that any language I write in
has the + operator to concatenate two strings together - I know, this seems
trivial but it is a good test as to whether a compiler of any language is
worth using... For a start it rules out : any variety of C, most (crummy)
Pascals, Modula-2, Fortran (strings ? hah !), even VAX ADA !

Richard K. Lloyd,       **** This is a MicroVAX II running VAX/VMS V4.7 ****
Computer Science Dept., * JANET     : RKL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA or              *
Liverpool University,   *             RKL@000010500211.FTP.MAIL            *
Merseyside, England,    * Internet  : RKL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu *
Great Britain.          ****************************************************

"What's the world's fastest microcomputer ? A Mac II at 5000 pounds ?
A 25Mhz Compaq 386 at 5500 pounds ? No, it's an Archimedes at 800 pounds !"

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (09/11/88)

rkl@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:
>AAArrrggghhh !!! If I hear Modula-2 mentioned again whenever anyone brings up
>the subject of Turbo Pascal 4 on the Amiga (now that's what I'D vapourware !),
>I'll SCREAM ! Modula-2 is NOT an adequate substitute for a good extended
>Pascal (aka Turbo Pascal 4 or VAX Pascal) - it's a far fussier language and
>the string handling is non-existent. I now INSIST that any language I write in
>has the + operator to concatenate two strings together - I know, this seems
>trivial but it is a good test as to whether a compiler of any language is
>worth using... For a start it rules out : any variety of C, most (crummy)
>Pascals, Modula-2, Fortran (strings ? hah !), even VAX ADA !

        Hmmm...

        I used to program in PASCAL alot.  In fact, while I was at UCSD, this
was the only upper level language used in the C.S. dept.   Had to write an
Ada compiler in Berkley PACAL :^(.

        What is wrong with useing a simple function to concat your two
strings  There are many string manipulation funtions provided in Benchmark
Modula-2, and it is easy enough to deal with these things without them anyway.

        The problem with using the "+" operator to concatinate strings is that
it genrates sloppy code, which is why it is not a part of modern languages.
It was one of many things included in PASCAL to make teaching programming
easier, but has no place in proffesional code.  What happens when you
concatinate two strings and the destination is too short to hold the result?
How much run-time code do you want to include to handle programmer sloppyness?

        Surely Niklaus Wirth would not have removed such things from the
Modula-2 definition without good reason.

        PASCAL is especially unsuited to the Amiga, which requires strong low
level control, and I suspect this is the reason it does not exist on the
Amiga.   Modula-2 gives you the best of PASCAL (strong structure and typing)
and still allows low-level control.

        Maybe you should take a look at Amiga Basic.

                                                                Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM
Opionions expressed are mine, and not necessarily those of my employer.

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (09/11/88)

In article <1826@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk> rkl@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:
>Modula-2 is NOT an adequate substitute for a good extended
>Pascal (aka Turbo Pascal 4 or VAX Pascal)....     ^^^^^^^^^

	True.  But what if it's an "extended" Modula-2?
--
Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP			UUCP
		barrett@cs.jhu.edu	(128.220.13.4)	ARPA

thad@cup.portal.com (09/12/88)

If you want a programming language/application implementation vehicle that
supports, among other things, `` + '' for string concatenation (and generates
compiled code), send private e-mail to me; the product is not yet on the Amiga
but is on a number of other systems (incl. the VAX you use).

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

wbralick@icc.afit.arpa (William A. Bralick Jr.) (09/12/88)

In article <1826@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk> rkl@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:
>In article <3403@crash.cts.com>, haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:

[conserving bandwidth]

>has the + operator to concatenate two strings together - I know, this seems
>trivial but it is a good test as to whether a compiler of any language is
>worth using... For a start it rules out : any variety of C, most (crummy)
>Pascals, Modula-2, Fortran (strings ? hah !), even VAX ADA !

Ada (which is *not* an acronym (ADA stands for Air Defense Artillery)) can
most certainly do what you ask.  Merely define the function "+" using the
(native) "&" function (defined in package Standard), and there you are.
Although I don't see what's wrong with using the standard "&" for string
concatenation, I guess there is no accounting for taste ...

Will

aplusl@ethz.UUCP (Albert Meier) (09/14/88)

In article <6969@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP (Daniel Jay Barrett) writes:
>In article <1826@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk> rkl@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:
>>Modula-2 is NOT an adequate substitute for a good extended
>>Pascal (aka Turbo Pascal 4 or VAX Pascal)....     ^^^^^^^^^
>
>	True.  But what if it's an "extended" Modula-2?
>--
Then it's Modula-3!!!!

    .....           Albert Meier        Tel.  +41/1/700 30 37
   .. ....          A+L AG, Im Spaeten 23, CH-8906 Bonstetten
  ..   ....
 .......A+L.        E-Mail          aplusl@ifi.ethz.(ch/UUCP)
..       .......                 ...mcvax!cernvax!ethz!aplusl