[comp.sys.amiga] F/A-18 Advice Sought

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (09/03/88)

I'm a bit stuck on the fourth scenario of F/A-18 (the "retrieve the stolen
F16s" one).  I'd appreciate a bit of advice on what you're _really_ supposed
to be doing.  Here's my reading (stripping away the "story line") on that
scenario: catch up with the convoy.  Coerce the Migs to shoot at you.  Once one
of 'em shoots at you, shoot booth the migs down.  Then go and catch up with the
F16s and lead them back to Moffett.  My problem: I can do everything up to the
last part.  *HOW* do you get the F16s to follow you?  [and I have a couple of
other similar questions: what happens if you shoot-first and just nail the
MiGs?  Assuming this will result in an "unuccessful mission", is there some way
to get their attention sooner rather than later?  [some pointers avoiding
incoming missiles would be nice, too... generally I can do OK, but I'm not sure
quite why or how: I don't really have a plan for evading missles].

Also (pushing my luck) a real what-you're-supposed-to-do rundown of the last
two scenarios (which I haven't seen anything of yet, of course), would be nice.
Thanks!

   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Sys & Tech, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

zlhb0a@apctrc.uucp (Lawrence H. Brown) (09/06/88)

In article <29314@bbn.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>I'm a bit stuck on the fourth scenario of F/A-18 (the "retrieve the stolen
>F16s" one).  I'd appreciate a bit of advice on what you're _really_ supposed

OK, here's what cha do:

1. Head straight for the Convoy, and splash the MIGS (don't wait).
2. Come up from behind (*270 degree course*) on the 2 F-16s
3. Match Speeds and put yourself between them, just a teensy bit
   (1 length or 2) ahead of them.
4. Smile at 'em, take pictures, etc. after a few seconds, you get
   the congrats message and they whip back.
5. Land back on the carrier.

Incidentally, if you wait long enough after step 5, the 2 planes will
start flying back out to sea.  Then you can go have fun practicing your
gunnery skills. (They fly straight and level-- you can dump it right
into their exhasts at point blank range--FUN!) I actually "bumped" one
from behind (I suffered minor struct. dam) and he crashed.

Good luck on the last one, I haven't succeeded yet.  Also seem to have the
dangest trouble with the rescue mission, any suggestions?!?
	Lawrence H. Brown
USENET: ...!uunet!apctrc!zlhb0a or zlhb0a@apctrc.uucp (?)
Phone: (918-660-4389) 24 hrs, voice. USmail: 7325 E. 50th, Tulsa, OK 74145
"No.  Amiga is not dead.  Hell, it's not even tired."---Leo L. Schwab

bdjst@cisunx.UUCP (Ratso) (09/07/88)

In article <29314@bbn.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>I'm a bit stuck on the fourth scenario of F/A-18 (the "retrieve the stolen
>F16s" one).  I'd appreciate a bit of advice on what you're _really_ supposed
>*HOW* do you get the F16s to follow you?  [and I have a couple of
>other similar questions: what happens if you shoot-first and just nail the
>MiGs?  Assuming this will result in an "unuccessful mission", is there some way
>to get their attention sooner rather than later?  [some pointers avoiding
>incoming missiles would be nice, too... generally I can do OK, but I'm not sure
>quite why or how: I don't really have a plan for evading missles].
>
>Also (pushing my luck) a real what-you're-supposed-to-do rundown of the last
>two scenarios (which I haven't seen anything of yet, of course), would be nice.
>Thanks!

I just go shoot down everything as soon as I can.  I never got the F-16's to follow me and I always shot the migs down right away.

As for the last two missions.  The fifth is a shoot down a cruise missle.  Sidewinders work best.  But you have to get very close.  The last I didn't quite
understand.  You have to get the enemy submarine/aircraft carrier.  I shot quitea few missles into it, but never sunk it.  But after shooting all the planes
and one more cruise missle down it came up with the congradulations and I
landed.

hope this helps,
Ben

sanders@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert M Sanders) (09/08/88)

   I'm still working on getting past the 6th mission.  I've done it once, but
don't know how.  Regarding the F-16's mission, I've done that one without
firing at the MIG's first.  For the rescue mission, I always launch from the
carrier and stay level, hit the afterburner and turn directly for the island.
Once I'm within 10 miles or so of the island, slow to 40%-50% power, and
stay under 100 feet.  Magnify to 4x, and point straight at the downed pilot.
You can see his chute in front of the island, a little to the right I believe.
Then I change the view to look from the behind right view (returning to normal
magnification), and eye-ball the drop.  Sometimes I'll lower the gear to slow
down more.  If you miss, you've got to return to the carrier to get another
rescue kit.
  Does anyone know exactly what needs to be done for the 6th mission?  I've hit
that carrier with all 6 missiles, every round in the guns, and even landed on
the blasted thing, to no avail.  I've gotten by it once, but I haven't the
foggiest how I did it.

                                             Rob

davidg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (David Guntner) (09/08/88)

From article <1868@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, by sanders@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert M Sanders):
>   Does anyone know exactly what needs to be done for the 6th mission?  I've hit
> that carrier with all 6 missiles, every round in the guns, and even landed on
> the blasted thing, to no avail.  I've gotten by it once, but I haven't the
> foggiest how I did it.

Boy, that's one I'd like to know myself!  I'm managed to toast all of the MIG's
that it send at you (so that the air is completely clear of them), blast the
carrier with a full load of missiles, return to my carrier for another load
of missiles, blast the carrier again, but nothing seems to impress (read: sink)
it....
                           --Dave

--
        David Guntner  UUCP: {ames, mit-eddie}!killer!davidg
                       INET: davidg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US

zlhb0a@apctrc.uucp (Lawrence H. Brown) (09/08/88)

OK, Here's what I did.

1. Lanch from carrier
2. retract gear and activate equipment
3. level flight
4. reduce speed to get under 100 ft
5. go to full afterburners (I'm not patient)
6. Hit sub with at least one missile (fired 3 but at least one missed and one hit)
7. Come back around and deal with fighters
8. land on carrier if nessasary (What I did: after hitting the sub I turned
                                 around and went to max altitude and flew
				 straight back to enterprise, reloaded, and
				 fought the migs.  Went back, reloaded and
				 went back after the sub again...)
9. Head back for sub and waste latecoming Mig.
10. Victory message.

Be warned: sometime the sub mixes the deck and throws in a cruise missile,
so do a positive id on each plane as you sneak underneath the radar.

wbt@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (09/09/88)

In article <5447@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> davidg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (David Guntner) writes:
>From article <1868@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, by sanders@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert M Sanders):
>> Does anyone know exactly what needs to be done for the 6th mission?  I've hit
>> that carrier with all 6 missiles, every round in the guns, and even landed on
>> the blasted thing, to no avail.  I've gotten by it once, but I haven't the
>> foggiest how I did it.
>
>Boy, that's one I'd like to know myself!  I'm managed to toast all of the MIG's
>that it send at you (so that the air is completely clear of them), blast the
>carrier with a full load of missiles, return to my carrier for another load
>of missiles, blast the carrier again, but nothing seems to impress (read: sink)
>it....

I find this game very infuriating; the way to win has nothing to do with
what you're told to do.

For the carrier sub, you win the scenario by shooting down all aircraft and
cruise missiles that are launched by the sub. Shooting the sub gets you
nothing, despite your direct orders to damage the sub. I've won repeatedly
without even *sighting* the damned thing !

If you come in high (over 100 feet) the sub seems to launch a cruise
missile; naturally, you've got to get that fast or you'll never catch it.
But you can take your time with the MiG's.

For Scenario 4, it's  another case of "Ignore orders, just shoot-em-up !".
Rather than trying to bait the MiG's into shooting you, and force the
F16's home, the only way I've been able to succeed is to fly a course
that brings me in behind the MiG's and '16's, spash both MiG's, blast
one of the F16's, and then the other usually surrenders (i.e., you get
the congratulations). Sometimes you have to kill both F16's.

Someday I'll figure out why some programmer would be stupid enough to
give you instructions that misleading...

The Rescue scenario is also a pain, as they don't bother to equip
your plane with conveniences like, oh, bombsights; it's strictly a guessing
game as to when to drop the rescue pod. Perhaps that's why the Navu uses
*helicopters* for air-sea rescue !

Despite these gripes, F/A 18 is still a great game. I love to crank my
stereo and then hit the afterburners; you can almost *feel* the
acceleration !

------------------------------ valuable coupon -------------------------------
Bill Thacker						cbosgd!cbema!wbt
	"C" combines the power of assembly language with the
	 flexibility of assembly language.
Disclaimer: Farg 'em if they can't take a joke !
------------------------------- clip and save --------------------------------

zlhb0a@apctrc.uucp (Lawrence H. Brown) (09/14/88)

=
=I find this game very infuriating; the way to win has nothing to do with
=what you're told to do.
=
=For Scenario 4, it's  another case of "Ignore orders, just shoot-em-up !".
=Rather than trying to bait the MiG's into shooting you, and force the
=F16's home, the only way I've been able to succeed is to fly a course
=that brings me in behind the MiG's and '16's, spash both MiG's, blast
=one of the F16's, and then the other usually surrenders (i.e., you get
=the congratulations). Sometimes you have to kill both F16's.
=
=Someday I'll figure out why some programmer would be stupid enough to
=give you instructions that misleading...

No grasshoppah, one must become like the wind, not like a water balloon!
Splashing the '16's is a no-no!  Here, try this:

1.	  Takeoff, go to full 'burners and waste the MIGS.
2.  	Come up behind the 16's and pass them with as little
	difference in speed as possible...get just in front of
        them.
3.	After a few moments you should get the message.  Be sure you
	pass between 'em as close and a close relative-velocity-wise
	as possible.  It may take as much as a minute but then they'll
	peel off and go home.